View Full Version : New Canon XF605!

Danilo Del Tufo
August 7th, 2021, 02:56 AM
Hello guys! I'm sharing with you this special preview of the upcoming Canon XF605...4:2:2 10 bit camera! Less weight than XF705 and less money...stay tuned!

Danilo Del Tufo
August 7th, 2021, 03:21 AM
The XF605 is a powerful new camcorder designed for ENG applications and for a wide range of live and recorded productions, including sports, events, documentaries, streaming, and more.

It offers a new level of performance and control to videographers who work solo.

With 15x optical zoom, professional connectivity and advanced autofocus, including eye-detection AF and intelligent head-detection technology for the first time in the XF series, this is a versatile camera that is perfectly suited to studio work or in the field.

Compact in size but equipped with a full range of controls and connections, the XF605 integrates seamlessly into live production and studio environments.

The large 1 "CMOS sensor and DIGIC DV7 processor deliver professional 4K UHD 60P / 50P shooting in XF-AVC and 10-bit 4: 2: 2 MP4 for exceptional image quality and maximum flexibility in post-production.

The XF605 is the first professional camcorder to feature eye-detection AF technology and EOS ITR AF X, an intelligent head-detection technology that enables videographers to achieve optimal results even in the toughest conditions.

Broadcast quality video

The 1 "CMOS sensor and DIGIC DV7 processor work in harmony to deliver 4K UHD 60P / 50P in XF-AVC and MP4 4: 2: 2 10-bit, as well as FHD 120P HFR for exceptional picture quality and flexibility during post-production.

Professional optics and control

Capture the finest details with the L-series 4K lens with 15x optical zoom and independent rings for zoom, focus and aperture control.

There are also three image stabilization modes, plus built-in ND and infrared filters, for added control.

Advanced autofocus

Achieve sharp focus of your subjects' eyes with eye-detection AF technology and intelligent head-detection technology via EOS ITR AF X, an innovative "deep learning" technology to detect a subject's head, even when it is not facing the camera.

Connectivity and professional streaming

The XF605 integrates seamlessly into live and studio environments, with 12G-SDI, Wi-Fi and Ethernet for IP streaming. The Content Transfer Mobile app allows you to edit news ML-G2 compliant metadata, transfer footage to your iPhone, and upload directly to FTP servers.

Intuitive controls and customization

Stay in control and customize the XF605 to your needs with independent controls and 11 assignable buttons. An improved touch screen interface allows you to quickly and intuitively control on-screen settings, menu navigation and playback control. A new multi-function slide hitch opens the doors for additional accessories with larger capacities.

Versatile recording options

Capture wide dynamic range in Canon Log 3 for greater flexibility in post-production or shoot directly in broadcast-quality PQ or HLG HDR formats. Simultaneous recording to two SD cards in different formats offers maximum flexibility for production needs.

Shared color science

The XF605 supports the same color matrices as Canon's EOS R system and Cinema EOS gamut, reducing the time required during post-production to ensure color match between camera shots of different gamuts.

Bob Safay
August 7th, 2021, 04:47 AM
Very interesting. Can't wait to see the full specs. Especially the size and weight.

Graham Bernard
August 8th, 2021, 12:51 AM
Oh my, a full 1” Sensor? So many questions I’ve got. Price? Mechanical NDs? Battery formats? Recording Media? Both PAL and NTSC Frame rates? I’ve still got my XF300, this could be a reason to explore 4k recording. But yeah, price?

Danilo Del Tufo
August 8th, 2021, 09:31 PM
Very interesting. Can't wait to see the full specs. Especially the size and weight. The camera weight is 2kg, it's also 10% less big than XF705.

Ron Evans
August 9th, 2021, 11:54 AM
It is like a cross between the XF405 and the 705. Maybe the same 15x lens as the XF400/5. Very interesting if it is less money than the XF705

Bryan Worsley
August 9th, 2021, 01:26 PM
Might explain why the XF-400 and XF-405 are now discontinued, according to B&H:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1361550-REG/canon_2213c002_xf400_camcorder_with_8_29mp.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801 (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1361550-REG/canon_2213c002_xf400_camcorder_with_8_29mp.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801/BI/2855/KBID/3801)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1361551-REG/canon_2212c002_xf405_camcorder_with_8_29mp.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801 (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1361551-REG/canon_2212c002_xf405_camcorder_with_8_29mp.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801/BI/2855/KBID/3801)

Don Palomaki
August 14th, 2021, 08:21 PM
Has Canon abandon the 'x00" versions in the XF line?

An idea as to the intended price point?

Allan Black
August 15th, 2021, 06:29 PM
Looks like the XF605 is definitely designed for the news department - and private investigators doing divorce work with the new
‘head detection from any angle’ feature. Yep any price yet?

Cheers.

Danilo Del Tufo
August 17th, 2021, 09:17 AM
The Canon XF605 costs $4,499.00

Allan Black
August 17th, 2021, 06:18 PM
Thanks Danilo - currently $Aus.6,200.00

Can’t help thinking all the manufacturers are chasing features in the new Sony XF6 and Canon lead the pack.

Check it out, XF6 > XF6-05, kidding!

Cheers.

Ron Evans
August 17th, 2021, 07:16 PM
You may want to watch this Canon XF605 | Canon's best camcorder yet? - YouTube from ProAV TV

Ron Evans
August 17th, 2021, 07:37 PM
Lots now on YouTube this I think is more detailed.Canon XF605 Pro Camcorder | First Look - YouTube

Graham Bernard
August 18th, 2021, 01:31 AM
https://www.proav.co.uk/canon-xf605-camcorder?utm_source=Pro%20Active&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=12591255_NEW%21%20Canon%20XF605%21&utm_content=Canon%20XF605%20Camcorder&dm_i=C1A,7HVH3,PRUBW9,UHEXB,1

Mark Fry
August 18th, 2021, 06:34 AM
Very interesting. I'll be watching out for real world experience with it and watching out for prices in January. Maybe this is the long-awaited replacement for my venerable XH-A1s?

Don Palomaki
October 7th, 2021, 07:22 AM
FWIW: Two days ago B&H said they now expect to receive the XF-605 around November 4th.

Erick Perdomo
November 8th, 2021, 11:46 PM
hi everyone. I want to retire my "ancient" XF300 and XF100 which served me well...I have used my C100 mk2 for some conferences and live events but I would prefer a real camcorder. This XF605 looks promising...has anyone purchased it? I would love to see some real world footage shot by professional videographers. I have seen some videos on youtube. Some look ok but I can't be sure yet. Thanks

Don Palomaki
November 10th, 2021, 04:15 AM
I saw MidWest Photo in Ohio says they have it in stock. So it should be appearing at other vendors and in users hands any day now as well. It is caught in the supply chain issues thanks to the ongoing COVID-19

Reviews are scarce, all I've seen were brief and based on demo units when announced last summer. I expect to see real user reviews before the end of the month.

Erick Perdomo
November 11th, 2021, 11:23 PM
great news! I can't wait to see real world footage from good videographers. Thanks!

Scott Hayes
November 18th, 2021, 06:03 AM
I am really tempted to order one of these to go along with my mirrorless kit, over an FX6.

Doug Jensen
November 18th, 2021, 08:40 AM
Hmm, XF605 vs. FX6?

That's an interesting pair of choices because they are completely different kinds cameras. It's like someone standing in a showroom and not being able to decide between buying an SUV or a sports car. Two totally different vehicles for totally different kinds of driving. It seems to me that how/what you shoot would be the deciding factor between those two specific cameras.

If the XF605 handycam style of camera appeals to you, then you might compare it to the Sony Z280.

If the FX6 big sensor, removable lens style of camera appeals to you then you might compare it to similar types of cameras from Canon, Red, Blackmagic, Arri, and Panasonic, etc.

It just seem strange to me to be considering buying two totally different cameras that are designed for totally different shooting styles and purposes.

Allan Black
November 18th, 2021, 04:46 PM
Not to mention the prices. If you’ve got the coin to buy an FX6 + a couple of good lens, then you could probably buy 2 XF605s.

Might be some mileage in that, depends on what you’re shooting.
Cheers.

Don Palomaki
November 20th, 2021, 09:26 AM
Starting to see a few new reviews (within the past week or two) , such as "opening the box" so apparently they are shipping some of the early pre-orders now. Still not generally not available for immediate shipment on new orders.

Google and checks dates of the postings. Early comments appear favorable. Saw one that compared low light performance against. the XF705.

Gerald Webb
January 12th, 2022, 09:43 PM
Hi Everyone,
Seriously looking at upgrading from my Sony PXW X160 to this camera.
I shoot multi cam events with the Sony and other GH5S's.

Has anyone seen a lowlight test with the 605 compared to a GH5S (or some other popular camera)?
TBH this camera ticks all my boxes but mainly concerned about sharpness and low light noise.
I've heard some people say that Canon sensors aren't particularly sharp and go for a softer film look....
I'm down to the Panny CX350 or the 605.
Thoughts?

Don Palomaki
January 13th, 2022, 09:24 AM
Canon XF605 & XF705 Low Light Comparison ** USER REVIEW ** - YouTube
is the closest I've seen to a side-by-side test of the XF605 compared to another camcorder under low light conditions.

There are a lot of user shot informal tests of the XF605 on youtube but nonet are very "calibrated."

My observation (based on older DV and HD gear) is that the Canon poor light image defaults to being warmer (and more pleasing to me) than Sony. But I have not investigated the current batch of new models.

Gerald Webb
January 13th, 2022, 03:53 PM
Thanks Don,
I found this one too-
Which pretty much has turned me off this camera. It appears my 6yo Sony is no worse for dirty background noise than the new Canon.
The search continues.

Small rant.
I don't know why people do "Tests" with any part of the camera in auto mode?
There's no mention of shutter speed in either video so you would assume its automatically going to the slowest shutter speed possible, 25 or 30, to let in the most light. But would you ever shoot like that?
Show me 100 shutter with a poorly lit white wall in the background next to your talent...That will show what the sensor can do.
Canon XF605 | Low Light Test - YouTube

Don Palomaki
January 13th, 2022, 07:50 PM
The issue of course is what is the actual light level. The camcorder settings tell us aperture, shutter, and gain used to produce the image, but not the actual amount of light on the subject which is the key. How low was low.

]It might help if we were told the light level in LUX, or perhaps the nominal film exposure for normal processing of film that could translate to a light level: e.g., a 18% gray card, 1/15 sec at f/1.8 with Kodacolor Ultra Max 400 film.

There is no substitute for adequate light. And if the thermal noise is cleaned up in the camcorder what did it do to the fine detail in the image? And how many black cats eating licorice in a coal bin will I be shooting?

The only way to know for sure is hands on tests. Then one can assess the impact of internal processing in the camera and available custom picture settings as well. Built in noise reduction may also impact fine detail that is not obvious with flat subjects/ plain white walls and/or youtube videos.

Don Palomaki
March 2nd, 2022, 09:12 AM
Not much discussion on the XF605! Not selling, or few issues?

Wonder when/if the street price will start to moderate.

Graham Bernard
March 2nd, 2022, 09:19 AM
Not much discussion on the XF605! Not selling, or few issues?

Erm, could be BOTH, or ONE or the OTHER or NEITHER?

Rainer Listing
March 2nd, 2022, 05:11 PM
Markus Pix at New Canon XF605 vs Sony RX100vii pocket camera WHAAAT - YouTube does a tongue in cheek comparison of the XF605 and a Sony RX100vii, but makes some good points. There's little point in 4:2:2, 10 bit, log for ephemeral sports, ENG, YouTube or even weddings and very few people need XLR into the camera. Canon's G60 is lighter, half the price and mostly adequate if you want a camcorder form (it's unavailable in Aus). I'm thinking a 1" sensor is adequate and there is a role and a niche for an individually owned higher spec run and gun documentary camera which is what the 605 could be if it were smaller, lighter, cheaper (and maybe a wider faster lens) but for now indie doco, commercial and music video makers will regard one of the slew of camera form factor cameras to be a better option.

Don Palomaki
March 5th, 2022, 09:20 AM
...very few people need XLR into the camera...

Not sure that is a valid statement unless applied to the population at large vs folks doing serious video and audio combined without a separate sound man. The adapters needed to add xlr-source audio to devices with 3.5mm input unbalanced jacks adds to the mess and tangle of the kit. Canon does offer 4K capable camcorders with the XA-series form factors and much lower prices.

I note mention that the Sony pocket cam has heat issues for longer shoots. Also, comparisons were based on "out-of-the-box" configurations which is not the same as potential in the hands of a good shooter. To each his own according to their needs and budget

Pete Cofrancesco
March 5th, 2022, 05:18 PM
Not sure that is a valid statement unless applied to the population at large vs folks doing serious video and audio combined without a separate sound man. The adapters needed to add xlr-source audio to devices with 3.5mm input unbalanced jacks adds to the mess and tangle of the kit. Canon does offer 4K capable camcorders with the XA-series form factors and much lower prices.

I note mention that the Sony pocket cam has heat issues for longer shoots. Also, comparisons were based on "out-of-the-box" configurations which is not the same as potential in the hands of a good shooter. To each his own according to their needs and budget
XLR is still very useful. I seen a lot people (including myself) make blanket statements about cameras that really only based on ones own type of work. I was filming with my camcorder today an educational documentary where I need to go around to different classes and capture what's going on while being unobtrusive. How easy it made my life. I brought zero accessories not even a bag and was able to shoot hand held and get what I needed.

I think people get carried away with mirrorless cinema cameras. Yes I always want to get one despite the camcorder still doing the job. The low light performance isn't great, the lens is slow, the AF is crap,...

I'd always like to upgrade my camcorder but many of these ones like the XF605F are expense. If you want a matched pair that's around 10k. They're priced high because they are targeted at broadcasters who need things like SDI out. But image wise they're not worth the money for what I do.

Danilo Del Tufo
June 15th, 2022, 03:08 AM
Sorry for a silly question (probably), but I'd like to know if the Sony ECM-MS2 mic fits the XF605's the mic holder. It was compatible with C200. Thanks and have a great day! I plan to buy this camera next weeks.
Thanks! :-)

Don Palomaki
June 15th, 2022, 06:39 AM
The pro series Canon camcorders I've used all have a 1" diameter mic holder. Your ECM is 0.94" per the spec so it should fit. If it is too loose in the mount adding a couple O-rings on the mic body, or a wrap of gaffers tape, can increase the diameter for a tighter fit.

Wonder when dealers will start offering sales on it? So far everyone seems to be asking is asking list price.

Danilo Del Tufo
June 21st, 2022, 05:29 AM
This message is about Canon XF605 users: When the camera is set full auto, it seems (just two short tests made with the camera arrived yesterday) that ND filters didn't engage, maybe it's my eye or FULL AUTO setup disengages the use of ND filter? Thanks!

Danilo Del Tufo
June 22nd, 2022, 01:57 PM
First test under very bright sun, and little promo for an organic farm. Shooting animals that moves very quickly has forced me to make a lot of panning, but it was the first time with the camera to shoot outdoors, so please sorry the sense of seasickness with panning shots. Enjoy! :-) Terraviva S.R.L. - YouTube

Danilo Del Tufo
June 23rd, 2022, 11:42 AM
Canon XF605 - Random Sea test - - YouTube

Noa Put
June 23rd, 2022, 11:59 PM
You might consider getting a tripod and think more about getting nicer compositions.

Danilo Del Tufo
June 24th, 2022, 12:21 PM
You might consider getting a tripod and think more about getting nicer compositions. I've tripod, but I like to use the camera handled. I need to discover the difference between "Standard" and "Dynamic", I've used "dynamic", maybe this is reason of shaky footage.

Allan Black
June 24th, 2022, 06:45 PM
Danilo, yes you need to use your tripod to stabilise your video programs, hand held is mostly for quick and nasty TV news reports.

Also to keep your horizon level, the XF605 menu will have a grid you can place over your viewfinder screen, it takes a bit of getting used to but it works very well.
Cheers.

Danilo Del Tufo
June 26th, 2022, 04:45 AM
Danilo, yes you need to use your tripod to stabilise your video programs, hand held is mostly for quick and nasty TV news reports.

Also to keep your horizon level, the XF605 menu will have a grid you can place over your viewfinder screen, it takes a bit of getting used to but it works very well.
Cheers. Unfortunately I didn't use Power IS and the grid, thanks for the advice, I've bought this camera to use without a tripod despite I've 2 tripod, just run-gun shot. Hope to make better in the future.

Allan Black
June 26th, 2022, 09:32 PM
Danilo, my guess is you don’t like to use a tripod is because it takes too long to set up and the scene has changed. But imo, unfortunately your hand held video won’t ever be steady enough to satisfy you, it’ll look to amateurish.

One other way is to use a monopod. I’ve seen video shot on a monopod that’s steady enough to have been shot on a tripod, and they’re simple enough to drop the leg down from the camera and start shooting fast. You might be able to rent one to try it out.
Cheers.

Danilo Del Tufo
June 27th, 2022, 06:20 AM
Danilo, my guess is you don’t like to use a tripod is because it takes too long to set up and the scene has changed. But imo, unfortunately your hand held video won’t ever be steady enough to satisfy you, it’ll look to amateurish.

One other way is to use a monopod. I’ve seen video shot on a monopod that’s steady enough to have been shot on a tripod, and they’re simple enough to drop the leg down from the camera and start shooting fast. You might be able to rent one to try it out.
Cheers.
Yes, true. I don't like to use tripod because I like to freeze the image, but I will consider a monopod, I suppose with Power IS on and Dynamic, there will be less movement, less amateurish. But for now I'm happy to have produced something, not excellent, but before with A7SIII I've filmed just a room. With XF605 I feel more confident to shoot outside. Thanks for advices and suggestions always welcome.