View Full Version : Buying a C300 Mkii used... anything to look for?

Paul Walker
October 20th, 2021, 09:44 AM
So I have a venerable 500 Mki and while it's a fantastic camera, it's 8 years old and seen better days. In fact, a couple of bits of it are held together with gaffer tape, especially after I dropped it down some steps in Rome...

It's been an incredible camera and I've loved filming all over Europe with it but now I need another workhorse.

I bought the C500 used and now am thinking of buying a C300 Mkii used because 4k, 10 bit 4:2:2 internal, XLR inputs, EF mounts for my glass and ProRes which means easy delivery to customers. I can slot it straight into my system and they always look as solid and reliable as a rock. And I sell projects so the reason for owning a camera isn't to shoot every day, rather it's to shoot a few times a month.

But is there anything I should look for? Any issues which come up specifically for C300 Mkiis that I need to watch when buying a used one?

Jon Roemer
October 20th, 2021, 03:35 PM
The C300 Mark II does not have ProRes. None of the Canon cameras do short of a C700.

C300 Mark II's - check that the feet of the clamshell are okay and that the monitor sits correctly. Make sure there are no issues with the chip in terms of ghosting or banding in the shadows. Make sure the handle still attaches solidly (though you can always get a top plate and a third-party handle). Consider the fact that you'll need new media and batteries and factor that into the mix.

Think about a C70 - for not too much more than a used C300 Mark II you can get the same chip that is in the C300 Mark III, you can still use your EF glass via an EF-RF adapters, and you'll get the benefits of the DGO chip and the latest tech. Still has XLR (just get get Mini-XLR to XLR adapters).

Paul Walker
October 21st, 2021, 06:32 AM
Thanks! I have a lot of bits for the C500 which seem to share identical bits with the C300. Shoulder rig, top handle etc...

Will check for banding. I see the C70 doesn't have 12 bit. Also can't output raw. I think the C300 Mkii has these two elements which I like. Also with the C70, will probably have to get an Atmos etc... Have an antique Odyssey 7Q+ but think it's time to get a new recorder as it's seen better days...

Am also tempted with an FS5 as with the raw upgrade, outputting to an external recorder, it looks good. 4:2:2 10 bit, 4k etc...

The thing that puts me off the C70 is that although I generally sell projects, I film with one agency and do a bit of freelance which makes me about £5k per year. Turning up with a C300 looks impressive but the C70 looks less impressive. And while I know that a C500 is overkill, this agency customer loves it.

Am just exploring the options so appreciate your heads-up.