View Full Version : Sony Z280 owners, I need audio help, please.

Anthony McErlean
March 10th, 2022, 06:31 AM
I have updated the firmware to v5 BTW.

All I want to do is to try and keep the front mic, if possible, add my XLR Shotgun mic and Sennheiser G3 radio mic.

I’ve tried all kind of settings but I’m not getting them right.

On the camera I have the setting INPUT 1 is at Line and to the right of it, its set at INT.
INPUT 2 is set to MIC+V48 and to the right of that its set at EXT

In the MENU Audio Input the settings are..

CH2 EXT IS INPUT 1
CH3 INPUT IS INPUT 1
CH4 INPUT 2
CH1&CH2 AGC are set at Stereo
CH3&CH4 AGC are set at Stereo

The audio I am getting now with my shotgun Mic plugged into Input 2 XLR but only one channel of sound and the internal front mic only on one channel as well when I bring them into my edit program

I know it’s easy to setup but its got me baffled.

Any help much appeared :)

Thanks in advance.

Pete Cofrancesco
March 10th, 2022, 12:32 PM
You could assign the internal mic to 3 & 4 but I believe internal mics to not be helpful because they are lower quality, farther from the subject and will record camera and handling noise.

Let's simplify things and discuss how most would record a standard one person interview using 2 channels.

1. Shogun mic plugged into XL1 sent to channel 1
2. Wireless lav mic plugged into XLR2 sent to channel 2

The reason why cameras allow you send the same input to multiple channels is to be able to record the same source at different levels to protect against clipping. For example you could send xlr 1 input to both 1 & 3 and xlr 2 input to 2 & 4. Then reduce the gain dial on the duplicate channels.

Anthony McErlean
March 10th, 2022, 12:39 PM
1. Shogun mic plugged into XL1 sent to channel 1
2. Wireless lav mic plugged into XLR2 sent to channel 2

Thanks Pete, Shogun mic plugged into XL1 sent to channel 1....and..
Wireless lav mic plugged into XLR2 sent to channel 2

So do I have to go to the menu to do that?

Thanks.

Pete Cofrancesco
March 10th, 2022, 01:08 PM
Thanks Pete, Shogun mic plugged into XL1 sent to channel 1....and..
Wireless lav mic plugged into XLR2 sent to channel 2

So do I have to go to the menu to do that?

Thanks.
In your posts you describe the settings in conflicting ways.

"I have the setting INPUT 1 is at Line" and "Shogun mic plugged into XL1 sent to channel "

A shotgun mic would need to be set to MIC 48v & Ext

" and to the right of it, its set at INT. INPUT 2 is set to MIC+V48 and to the right of that its set at EXT"

A lav mic would normally be set to Line & Ext. Note wireless receivers can output mic or line level make sure you know which the G3 is set to.
INT should not be set for either channel 1 or 2. Make sure auto gain is off in the menu.

Anthony McErlean
March 10th, 2022, 01:14 PM
OK Pete, I'll make the changes,

Will this give me 2 channel audio from the shotgun and lav mic?

Thanks.

Pete Cofrancesco
March 10th, 2022, 02:29 PM
OK Pete, I'll make the changes,

Will this give me 2 channel audio from the shotgun and lav mic?

Thanks.

No. This is a common misconception that stereo is better for recording. Especially when it comes the dialog, mono is all that is needed. Both shotgun mics and lavs are mono. I think this might be what's holding you back from setting up your camera.

Anthony McErlean
March 10th, 2022, 03:01 PM
No. This is a common misconception that stereo is better for recording. Especially when it comes the dialog, mono is all that is needed. Both shotgun mics and lavs are mono. I think this might be what's holding you back from setting up your camera.

Oh I see Pete, thanks I didnt know that either.

Yes, I thought that was one of my problems, not having 2 channels of sound from the mics.

OK I will look into that, thanks for now.