View Full Version : UWOL#62 "Something's missing" by Geir Inge B. Brekke

Geir Inge
May 2nd, 2022, 05:06 AM
The vast majority of wading birds in Norway are migratory birds.
They are completely dependent on wetland areas, such as beach zones, river deltas and bogs.
Such areas have been in short supply in Norway in recent decades.
Another example is the seabird population.
A total of 54 species of seabirds live in Norwegian coastal and marine areas.
As many as 32 of them are listed on the Norwegian Red List from 2021.
The Red List provides an overview of species that are at risk of extinction in Norway.
24 of the 32 species on the red list are considered endangered.
That is, they are classified as critically endangered, severely endangered or vulnerable.
Our big problem is we have changed our country to a patchwork quilt of small spots with more or less intact nature that it costs to repair.

I welcome your comments.

Vimeo

Paul Mailath
May 3rd, 2022, 07:30 PM
I really like the crescendo of the music and 'Norway' as it completes. some great images and it's interesting how we've taken what I would say was a difficult theme and interpreted it in completely different ways.

I noticed that the background music started again about halfway through and while that may have been intentional I wonder if it would have worked if you introduced it earlier with a really low level and then increased it when the VO had finished.

Bob Safay
May 4th, 2022, 03:09 PM
Geri. You are becoming a master drone pilot. Such beautiful scenery. It is a shame about the lack of birds. I am finding that same situation when I go to a lot of national wildlife refuges in the south eastern United States. As you said they're losing their habitat and I can never be replaced. You put together a well documented video about the loss of habitat and its affect on the wading birds. It was a good solid entry. Take care and stay safe. Bob

Geir Inge
May 5th, 2022, 03:01 AM
Bob and Paul, thanks for the feedback.
Something is not right with our management of nature.
I have been filming the bird cliffs on the island of Runde for the last 25 years.
It is a sad sight today, compared to how it was over 20 years ago. Some of the species are completely absent from the island, while others are greatly reduced.
Paul: I agree with you about the music.

Trond Saetre
May 5th, 2022, 08:40 AM
Hei Geir Inge,

Nice and interesting film!
Yes, it is sad to see how the changes in climate affects the wildlife. We see the same signs further south on the coast. Birds I used to see as a kid, is nowhere to be seen anymore.

You have a good combination of VO and background music. Didn't notice the repeated music, until I read Paul's comment. Then I noticed it too, and his suggestion would probably work fine.

Well done!

Geir Inge
May 6th, 2022, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback Trond.
Yes, it's sad what's happening to the bird population.
More intensive agriculture leads to massive bird deaths, and in 30 years Europe lost 421 million nesting birds.
In Norway, 75 percent of the Northern lapwing population has disappeared.
And further more Eurasian curlew: 30-50 percent gone in a few decades and Eurasian skylark: 30-50 percent gone in a few decades.
I think that drastic measures are needed to change the way we treat nature.
Anyway, I'm thinking about our children's future and what we pass on to them.