View Full Version : COB lights attracting moths

Paul Mailath
June 16th, 2022, 11:28 PM
I've used COB lights on a couple of night shoots Aputure 120 & Forza 300) and I'm always concerned that moths are going to hit the COB and bugger up the light - Has anyone had any experience of this?

Andrew Smith
June 17th, 2022, 02:43 AM
As soon as I read "bugger up the light" I knew the post was coming from a fellow Aussie. :-)

Andrew

Ronald Jackson
June 17th, 2022, 07:24 AM
An expression which first saw the light of day in England old chap!

Dead night flying insects plastering your car windscreen unfortunately no longer a common occurrence in the Old Country. Lack of insects.

Ron

Oren Arieli
June 21st, 2022, 12:38 PM
If you're using it bare, you can try a scrim which will intercept the critters before they hit your COB...but that will cut your output. There are also honeycomb grids that work with bowens-mount reflectors, although they will narrow your beam angle.

Paul R Johnson
June 24th, 2022, 04:13 AM
Well they don't smell as bad as hitting a real lamp - is this a problem? not exactly a new one. If they get smeared, wipe them down. You can even use fingers which we couldn't on halogen lamps.

Andrew Smith
June 26th, 2022, 06:33 AM
One of those electronic bug zapper lamps might be worth using. The UV light attracts the winged critters and then the high voltage electricity finishes them off. Granted, the bigger moths tend to sizzle for a while.

And if any of the zapping and popping makes it on to the audio you are recording, standard audio tools should be able to rectify it.

Andrew