View Full Version : ZV-1 LUTs

Dave Baker
May 28th, 2023, 12:45 AM
I just picked up a ZV-1 and am quite impressed so far from preliminary tests, but I cannot find any LUTs for correcting S-log footage, the only ones I can find are cube files for the professional camera range. I need 3d LUTs for this and so far, my LUT-less attempts are less than good. I would imagine your best advice will be not to shoot in S-log as it is only 8-bit, it's the advice I would offer if asked, but I'd like be able to if I want. Surely, as they give S-log as an option, Sony must provide LUTs to convert to BT709? If so, does anyone know where are they hidden please?

Doug Jensen
May 28th, 2023, 09:59 AM
Dave, I don't know anything about the ZV-1 specifically, but S-LOG is designed to work the same on all of Sony's cameras. Therefore you don't need a special LUT in post for a specific camera.. The only one you really need for S-LOG3 is already built into Resolve, plus there are hundreds more (mostly junk) that you can download from various places. Here's Sony's site, but I don't recommend any of them. https://sonycine.com/resources/luts/

But as you say, if the camera is only 8-bit, you're wasting your time with LOG.

Dave Baker
May 29th, 2023, 12:26 AM
Disappointing, but thanks Doug.

I have no intention of shooting regularly in S-log, I just wanted to see how good it can be. As I don't use Resolve, I'll pass on this one.

Doug Jensen
May 29th, 2023, 07:15 AM
Yes, you would be wise to skip S-LOG with this camera. Success with S-LOG absolutely requires two things:

1) A minimum recording quality of 10-bit 4:2:2.

2) Competent grading in Resolve ( or Baselight or another dedicated color grading program). S-LOG can't be graded properly in an ordinary NLE such as Premiere, FCP, Avid, etc.

Dave Baker
May 29th, 2023, 12:09 PM
Interesting. Thanks again.