View Full Version : VX2100 questions

Pages : 1 [2]

Georg Liigand
November 14th, 2005, 08:49 AM
I have VX2100 and it's an awesome camera with beautiful picture. I still mostly shoot in 4:3, but when it's absolutely necessary to film widescreen, then the camera will do it. I know it crops the top and bottom, but once filming your video, the lost will not be that noticeable. I even filmed a DVD project once in widescreen with PD150 and the results were just fine when I watched the footage.

In my opinion it's quite ok to buy a 4:3 ratio camera today for professional production, because even if broadcast is slowly switching over to 16:9, most will still have to wait at least a few years until they can broadcast in true widescreen, because as far as I know widescreen picture would be stretched just like when watching the video from your camera in standard ratio TV set and it would take quite a while until most of the people buy 16:9 TVs. I've heard that Finland televisions are planning to go widescreen in 2007 and here they haven't said anything at all yet.

If talking about HD then I would wait for the next family of Sony cams, I'm quite sure they will have many improvements.

Justin Scroggs
November 14th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Thanks for all your replys! I am pretty sure I will go with the 2100. This would be my 4th Sony camcorder, and I do like their products. I say that widescreen is not important because most of our stuff goes onto the internet, and none of us (except me) own a widescreen tv. Plus this is a hobby for me, not a living. I also don't want to wait for HD because my video editor (a Casablance Avio / stand alone unit) does not edit HD. Min DV is more than fine for us. One of my concerns was the size of the VX. It comes in at 15 1/2" long.

David Ennis
November 14th, 2005, 08:34 PM
...One of my concerns was the size of the VX. It comes in at 15 1/2" long.Then you might want to consider the Canon GL2. It's smaller and lighter, has a better zoom and better audio features. I own both, but I consider the GL2 to be a better value ($1750 after rebate, vs. $2400 for the VX2100).

The VX2100 gives slightly crisper video, but for some (like myself) this is not always desireable--a matter of taste. The GL2's footage is sharp, but somehow softer and warmer. The Sony is sturdier and certainly impressive looking, and, of course is the king of low light cams in the price range affordable by most mortals.

For a wedding or documentary, or for very dim lighting, I'd be inclined to use the VX2100. For most anything else I grab the GL2.