View Full Version : 24p slow motion

Greg Harris
November 15th, 2005, 03:32 PM
When do you think a camera will be released that is able to record 24p footage that you can put into slow motion with out looking all glitched and skipping frames.

thanks

Kevin Dooley
November 15th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Any camera that shoots 60p can be be slowed down to make a nice smooth 24p slo-mo... so the HVX when it comes out, or the JVC camera (if you record the analog output somehow) are both capable of this. Also, the FX/Z1 or the XLH1 could have their 1080i footage downrezzed to 720/60p with almost no resolution loss for the same effect...

Barry Green
November 15th, 2005, 07:37 PM
When do you think a camera will be released that is able to record 24p footage that you can put into slow motion with out looking all glitched and skipping frames.

thanks

The HVX has that specific capability built in. You can shoot in about a dozen different frame rates, and specifically you can set the timebase to conform to 24p. So if you shoot at 48fps, when you play it back it'll play back at 24fps, and give you 2:1 slow motion. Or you could choose 60fps, and when you play that back it'll be 2.5:1 slow motion. It's frame-accurate film-style slow motion, with no glitching or skipped frames or anything like that.

Robin Hemerik
November 19th, 2005, 03:03 PM
And how about the PAL-version? Is 50p suitable for a nice slomo effect?

Barry Green
November 19th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Sure -- 50p played back in a 25p timeline will give you very nice, very smooth slow motion.

Brian Petersen
November 20th, 2005, 10:36 AM
is there any footage online where I can look at some Varicam slow motion. I'm trying to get an idea of how "just like film" this slow motion is. I know in theory it should be the same (progressive frames, etc.) but I haven't seen any footage yet. Anyone have any or know where there's a place online to see a number of the variable frame rates in action?

Bo Smith
November 24th, 2005, 02:45 AM
The HVX has that specific capability built in. You can shoot in about a dozen different frame rates, and specifically you can set the timebase to conform to 24p. So if you shoot at 48fps, when you play it back it'll play back at 24fps, and give you 2:1 slow motion. Or you could choose 60fps, and when you play that back it'll be 2.5:1 slow motion. It's frame-accurate film-style slow motion, with no glitching or skipped frames or anything like that.

Can you downconvert to tape like that??

Barry Green
November 24th, 2005, 04:06 AM
Yes, you can do an in-camera downconversion that preserves the frame rate, so you'd get 2.5x slow-motion if you downconverted a 60p file into a 24p DV tape.

Bo Smith
November 25th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Oh man, this camera just keeps getting better and better, if they remove the tape deck and replace it with a firestore and through on a 16x lens with some kind of internal mini35 system, and shrunk it back down the the DVX's size, it'd be my perfect camera. But at the moment it's my perfect available camera.