View Full Version : Filters for HD100

Steven D. Martin
November 23rd, 2005, 07:59 AM
I have the Formatt matte box installed and ready to go. Any suggestions about filters I should purchase as a basic set? I've considered buying a polarizer and a subtle black mist or black frost filter to soften the image for interviews. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Tim Dashwood
November 23rd, 2005, 09:09 AM
Cavision sells a 5 filter set of 4x4 glass filters for around $300.
Comes with Polarizer, Soft Mist Black (their version of a Black Promist 1), Grad ND, Grad Orange, and Grad Blue.
Each one comes in a professional pouch.

Stephen L. Noe
November 23rd, 2005, 09:23 AM
Definately get stronger ND filters for full sun. The darkest onboard ND filter simply is not strong enough.

Steven D. Martin
November 23rd, 2005, 07:03 PM
Cavision sells a 5 filter set of 4x4 glass filters for around $300.
Comes with Polarizer, Soft Mist Black (their version of a Black Promist 1), Grad ND, Grad Orange, and Grad Blue.
Each one comes in a professional pouch.
Good quality?

Tim Dashwood
November 23rd, 2005, 07:10 PM
Good quality?

Excellent... and much less expensive than Tiffen or Schneider.

Michael Maier
November 29th, 2005, 04:08 PM
I use the Formatt glass filter and I like them. The resin ones are supposedly just a good, but not as durable. But they are also cheaper.

Dave Beaty
November 29th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Polarizer, ND Grad, Soft FX 1 or 2, Definately another ND - you'll need it at lower shutter settings. Formatt filters are very nice with black metal frames and optical analysis sheet included. Tiffen Promist Black 1/4 or 1/2, Black Diffusion FX 2 is great but the pattern is visible sometimes full wide.

Dave B

Stephen L. Noe
November 29th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Black Diffusion FX 2 is great but the pattern is visible sometimes full wide.
Dave B
I noticed this as well. If the lighting angle is just right the lens will resolve the filter pattern @ full wide.

Paolo Ciccone
December 3rd, 2005, 12:32 PM
I have the Formatt matte box installed and ready to go. Any suggestions about filters I should purchase as a basic set? I've considered buying a polarizer and a subtle black mist or black frost filter to soften the image for interviews. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Hi Steven.

I'm interested in this setup. Can you tell me what model of the matte box works with the HD100? Any adapters nedded?

TIA.

--
Paolo