View Full Version : A Computer Question

Mark Moore
December 15th, 2002, 01:27 AM
I have a DELL, 1.9mhz; 256 ram; 40g HD (for programs) and a 100g HD (7200) for video (as the "E" drive).

I have deleted all raw footage from the E drive and only have left a few titles, tests and avi files. Here is my question.

When I go to MY COMPUTER, click on the "E" drive, I come up with the files mentioned above and they total a little less than 3 gig.

However, when I go to PREMIERE 6.0 (or PINNACLE 7.15), where my "E" drive is the default capture drive - both programs show that I have used 52gig of that drive (with 48 gig or so remaining).

I swear, I can't find 52 gig on that drive, but only the 3 gig mentioned above. Any suggestions on where to look? Do either of those editing programs leave 'hidden files' on a HD?

I am so confused! I have a 2.5 hour play to edit and can't capture the video, because I don't have enough space.

Thanks in adance for any suggestions.

Andrew Leigh
December 15th, 2002, 01:57 AM
Hi Mark,

most strange. I have just duplicated what you have done and My Computer and Premiere agree on the size available.

Do you have partitions ?

Try My Computer, View, Folder Options, View and under Files and Folders select all files. Check that you don't have hidden files and that your Premiere preview files are not hidden somewhere.

Cheers
Andrew

Henrik Bengtsson
December 15th, 2002, 03:24 AM
Also.. i assume you have deleted the files and not just sent them to the trashbin. In the later case you have to empty that first to retrieve all the storage space.

Also see if Premiere have any cached files anywhere that might be taking up space.

Aaron Koolen
December 15th, 2002, 04:30 AM
As Henrik said, check your recycle bin. The files still take up space unless you deleted them proper (shift delete) or emptied the recycle bin.

Mark Moore
December 15th, 2002, 10:12 AM
You all are geniuses! I never thought to empty the recycle bin, so I did and - PRESTO - the numbers now match.

Thanks a bunch. This was driving me CRAZY!

Rob Lohman
December 16th, 2002, 07:45 AM
One of the many reasons why I don't have/use the trashbin.
Sometimes this can also happen when a partition becomes
corrupt (this SHOULD only happen with FAT partitions and not
NTFS -> another reason to use NTFS, besides the no filesize
limit)