View Full Version : More Camera Options?

James Steele
December 2nd, 2005, 10:21 AM
I am in the market for a camera. I produce local/regional commercials and corporate videos. I am very impressed with the specs and reviews of the HVX-200. What are the chances that Sony will be coming out with a similar camera at a similar price point offering uncompressed HD with a disc based recording system.

Tom Hardwick
December 2nd, 2005, 10:25 AM
I don't think Sony's departures from Mini DV have been entirely successful. Micro MV and DVD-R camcorder sales have been so-so, but you never know what's up the corporate sleeve. The Z1 has been a huge success, and I expect JVC, Panasonic and Canon will breathe easy if they get 50% of HD sales between them all.

tom.

Don Donatello
December 2nd, 2005, 11:41 AM
i don't quite get the statement of sony coming out with a similar price point ( referring to HVX200) camera offering uncomporessed HD ?? since when does the panasonic hvx offer uncompressed HD ??

" I expect JVC, Panasonic and Canon will breathe easy if they get 50% of HD sales between them all"

is this based on fact ?? or just a guess ? do you have a referral link of the current HD market sales ?
who gets the other 50% ?
when you say HD -are you saying ALL HD or just hand size HD ?

Tom Hardwick
December 2nd, 2005, 12:04 PM
t can't be based on fact Don because Sony have been in the (hand-sized)HDV game for more than a year now and the others are just putting their toes in the water.

James Steele
December 2nd, 2005, 02:06 PM
Tom, thanks for your input, I appreciate any positive advise. I have been shooting on Beta SP for about 15 years so everything in this forum is new to me, I am just trying to become as educated as possible to make the best decisions.

Robert Frank
December 3rd, 2005, 09:32 PM
Hey is this the same James Steele from the Motu-mac list?

Robert Frank

John Benton
December 4th, 2005, 01:28 AM
Is that the same Robert Frank of "the Americans"?

Robert Frank
December 4th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Is that the same Robert Frank of "the Americans"?

Ha..! No... but I get asked that a lot!

James Steele is a musician from California who really rocks!

John Benton
December 4th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Ha..! No... but I get asked that a lot!

James Steele is a musician from California who really rocks!

Ah yeah - I bet you do...
esp. in NYC...
auspicious name though
cheers,
J

James Steele
December 5th, 2005, 02:38 PM
I am not either of the above but I do rock!

Rick Steele
December 5th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Must be in our genes.