View Full Version : Saw the XLH1 today. Wow! Canon is a class Act too!

Michael Pappas
December 8th, 2005, 03:59 AM
The Canon XLH1 is an amazing camera..... I must say that the XLH1 is a mini Cinealta. It was so nice to see friends from canon Joe Bogacz, Mike Zorich and Tim Smith. I have a lot of respect for Canon and how they run their business. The XLH1 is far and above the best HD camera under 10k in all around offerings. The clock maker footage was excellent. It didn't stop there. The Italy footage that was shot in 1080i 60 was beautiful. It was filmed in HDV and was mouth watering. What's funny is, the HDV Codec works the least best with interlace video. In progressive video HDV shines; yet the italy footage looked amazing and it being shot in interlace mode not progressive. I now know how well the H1 will do in HDV 24F progressive mode. Wow! Kudos to Canon for an excellent tool that is top notch.....

Michael Pappas
Arrfilms@hotmail.com
http://www.pbase.com/arrfilms
http://www.PappasArts.com

Barlow Elton
December 8th, 2005, 12:00 PM
What's even funnier is Canon's footage looked better in Panasonic's HD format (playing from a 1200a deck) than Panasonic's own cameras!

Kevin Wild
December 8th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Glass IS important. Sounds (and looks) like that new HD lens from Canon is great.

KW

Shannon Rawls
December 11th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Good job mike. Good report...and Good photos from B&H yesterday. Wish I could have been there and at the DV Expo. I'm at the HDV Festival checking out dvinfo.net during my down time.

Peace!

- ShannonRawls.com

Peter Moore
December 15th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Amen. I've been playing with some of the posted clips. If you can't make a convincing looking big screen film with this camera you don't know what you're doing. With a minimal amount of gamma and color correction the footage looked as good as anythign I've ever seen on the big screen.

John C Cha
December 20th, 2005, 11:35 PM
It seems that other camera options have certain data storing advantages, but going to HD tape also has its advantages. Is mini-CineAlta an accurate description of the XLH1?

Chris Hurd
December 21st, 2005, 12:23 AM
Mini-Alta? Naw, that's too much like Minolta.

I've heard people call it The Black Knight, Black Beauty, the Little Cine-Alta.

Still looks like a chainsaw to me though. Definitely a solid hit by Canon from the way things are going.

Nick Hiltgen
December 21st, 2005, 12:54 AM
Quasi-alta. But I like the chain-saw, name.

Peter Moore
December 21st, 2005, 08:31 AM
Semi-Alta. Quasi-Alta. The margarin of Alta. The Diet Coke of Alta - "just one calorie!" - not Alta enough.

Nick Hiltgen
December 21st, 2005, 08:36 AM
Peter I think you win with semi-alta.

Shannon Rawls
December 21st, 2005, 08:57 AM
How about:

"XL-H1"

How does that sound? *smile*

- Shannon

Bob Zimmerman
December 22nd, 2005, 04:19 AM
Peter I think you win with semi-alta.

If you do everything in auto mode you could say your semi-altamatic.

Chris Hurd
December 22nd, 2005, 07:43 AM
Semi-Altamatic. Now you're on to something!

Peter Moore
December 22nd, 2005, 05:19 PM
Did no one get the line?

Carlos Rodriguez
December 22nd, 2005, 05:28 PM
I thought it was funny...

Nick Hiltgen
December 22nd, 2005, 05:41 PM
Scotty don't...

Michael Pappas
December 22nd, 2005, 05:52 PM
-- Cine Alta Lite --