View Full Version : Failed Twice!

Bob Schneider
December 10th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Hi,

I hope someone can give me some insight into a DVD burning problem. I twice attempted to burn a 28 minute dvd using Premiere Pro using one of the standard presets for exporting to DVD from timeline. Both times it failed after 3 hours of transcoding/burning. Both times it ended early with an err code#. Although they were different err codes each time. The last err code was #336130. Any thought as to what causes may have contributed to this? Lots of wasted time so far.

Thanks, Bob

Rick Steele
December 10th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Well known error talked about in the Adobe forums. Your DVD burner most likely needs a firmware update.

Bob Schneider
December 11th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Thanks Rick,

Is this something I can download from Pioneer? It is actually a brand new burner. (dual layer) Model #DVR-R100?

David J. Payne
December 11th, 2005, 04:06 AM
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/286900320DVR110D_FW137.exe

thats it i believe. taken from this site

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/service/support/article/0,,2076_4249_277047590,00.html

and its said to do this:

Firmware update to version 1.37 (WIN)improves readability on DVD-R DL, +R DL, CD-R/RW, and DVD-RAM media; improves writability on DVD-R/RW, +R/RW, +R DL, and CD-RW media; adds support for 12X writing speed on 16X +R media from Prodisc and NSD; adds support for 6X writing speed on 8X +R media from Verbatim (Mitsubishi Chemical)

David

Bob Schneider
December 11th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Thanks David,

Well, I downloaded the approprate firmware update and tried burning for a 3rd time, several hours later it abborted again. This time "dvd err-224".

Any more thoughts? So far 9 hours wasted.

Bob

Bob Schneider
December 11th, 2005, 08:46 AM
I don't know if this matters or not. My blank discs are rated at 4x and my burner is rated at maybe 16x. Could this be an issue?

Bob

Pete Bauer
December 11th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Bob,

Are you using the latest version of PPro, which is 1.5.1? Earlier versions including 1.5 had Adobe Media Encoder bugs that gave various errors and aborts. If you're using the latest version on a fast computer with unnecessary processes disabled, I don't have any other ideas off the top of my head.

EDIT: Just saw your latest post from a few minutes ago. It is possible that the write speed that your burner is set to could cause a problem. This happens on my work computer's CD writer all the time even with good CD-Rs...writes fail if I allow the write speed to be automatically set, but CDs burn fine if I manually set the software to 4x instead of letting it pick 32x on its own. I don't see any reason why this should happen, but it does. So it might be worth an empiric try to limit your write speed. I dunno; just a guess.

Bob Schneider
December 11th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Thanks Pete,

Older version. 7.0.

Does that mean I can't burn dvd's?

Bob

Pete Bauer
December 11th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Bob, see my edit below...we're typing at the same time. ;-)

Is v7 a non-US version or something? My upgrade path was Premiere 6.0 >> 6.5 >> PPro 1.0 >> PPro 1.5 >> free 1.5.1 update, so when folks talk about v7, I'm not quite sure what that is. Unfortunately, when 1.5 first came out, they only asked $99 for the upgrade from 1.0, but I don't think that offer is available anymore and you'd have to pay a larger upgrade cost. FWIW, 1.5.1 is worth it, IMHO.

Bob Schneider
December 11th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Pete,

Actually it is 1.0, and no more inexpensive upgrades are available. I was going to try different blank discs.

Thanks again,
Bob

Bob Schneider
December 11th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Well, I tried new blank dvd discs (16x). Same result. Now I am wondering if my computer is too weak. P4 1.9, 512 ram. If not, any other suggestions? Does anyone actually burn dvds directly from Premiere Pro 1.0?

Thanks,
Bob

Pete Bauer
December 11th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Yeah, your system is getting a bit behind the power curve, but I kinda doubt that is the root of your problems. Sounds like you are reluctant to upgrade to 1.5.1, but if you're intending to stick with PPro, I do think it is worth the cost. Otherwise, you probably need to directly contact Adobe support as it is most likely a bug, but I don't know how much help they'll be since 1.0 isn't considered a current version anymore.

Christopher Lefchik
December 11th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Bob,

Have you tried installing the Adobe Media Encoder MPEG Update version 1.1? You can get it here: http://www.mainconcept.com/adobemedia/downloads.html

Bob Schneider
December 12th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Thanks Christopher,

I have just downloaded the update. I will try a reburn later today. The err message seems to be related to the final configuration step. I don't know if that is a transcoding issue or a burn issue...... assuming there is a difference.

Thanks again,

Bob

Rick Steele
December 12th, 2005, 06:49 AM
After doing all of this and other than Christopher's suggestion to update the media encoder to 1.1 I can only tell you to try lowering the burn speed of the drive.

On a side note: I "think" that your version of Premiere (version 7) was one of those initial marketing blunders. They called it this before some would-be genius at Adobe decided it needed to have the word "Pro" in its name.

Bob Schneider
December 12th, 2005, 06:59 AM
To those that are interested, I have also learned that there is also a potential fix from Microsoft, related to SP2, a download (keyword KB886716).
I have downloaded this as well as the Main Concept download and going to give it another try (#5)

Thanks, Bob

Bob Schneider
December 12th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Failed again! I downloaded the Microsoft patch and the Mainconcept patch, and tried a reburn. I got an err message again. This time when I came back to the computer after 3 hours there was also a warning referring to the fact that my computer was forced to use virtual memeory because of lack of memory. I wonder if this points to inadequet computer situation. Again I am using a P4, 1.9, with 512 ram. Is anyone else burning dvd's successfully directly from premiere pro 7.0 with similar computer specs?

Is there a way I can use Premiere to encode to mpeg2, then do the actual burn from a program such as Nero or similar burning only program? Although I am not sure if I am failing at the encoding process or the burn process.

HELLLLLLLLP!

Rick Steele
December 12th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Although I am not sure if I am failing at the encoding process or the burn process.Instead of selecting "Export to DVD" choose "Adobe Media Encoder" and use one of the DVD MPEG2 presets. That will encode a DVD compliant file Nero (or something else) can transfer to DVD media.

And Bob, does this happen on all clips or this particular project only? If you can't burn anything to DVD I'd try something short first to minimize the time between failures until you get some success.

Sounds like you've run the gambit here on fixes though.

Pete Bauer
December 12th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Does it always fail at exactly the same point in the render? I seem to vaguely recall some problems with areas of a timeline where there is no clip to render; in other words, a gap between clips. If it happens at different points in the timeline every time, then I'm stumped.

Bob Schneider
December 12th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Thanks again Rick & Pete,

Interestingly, there is a gap in the timeline, (purposely black video). I filled the gap with a black matte instead. However this gap was within the first 2 minutes of the movie out of a 28 minute movie. The burning failure occurs after 3 hours of encoding, where it appears to be near the end. I don't know if that matters though. Anyway, I will try again right now. Incidentily, this is my first ever burning attempt. So I don't have any previous experience doing this on other clips.

Bob

Rick Steele
December 12th, 2005, 07:41 PM
The burning failure occurs after 3 hours of encoding, where it appears to be near the end.Pete may be on to something but again, don't try to render the whole thing and wait another 3 hours for failure.

Do a "Save As" on this project... give it another name. Then trim the front and back ends leaving the "gap" intact A total timeline length of 2 minutes should be adequate. Now try exporting this newly shortened project to DVD. If this fails then close the gap... Export again.

Pete Bauer
December 12th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Maybe we should back up a couple steps.

Have you been able to burn and copy plain old data discs successfully using the software bundled with the drive (Nero, DVD Creator, whatever)? If you get similar problems, it's more of a basic system problem. If you can create regular data discs and make copies of them on the bundled software, then it does point more towards a PPro issue.

Then...I haven't had this problem, but a lot of people say that you should kill the little drag-to-disc applets and similar little things that show up in your task bar...the things that the bundled software loads at boot up -- or even uninstall the software althogether -- to avoid conflicts. Supposedly these applications poll the writer hardware periodically and that can throw off your burn. Or something like that. Especially since your system is on the lean side, might want to give that a try.

Bob Schneider
December 13th, 2005, 02:45 AM
Well, I tried another burn without the gap in the timeline, and had the same negative result.

Then I tried a data burn using the Ulead program that came with the burner. The first time it failed and asked me to check the disk because it senced a problem with it. It happened to be the disc that I used for the last movie burn attempt so I changed it thinking perhaps it was effected by that last failed attempt. After inserting a new disc, it flawlessly burned the data.

I then took Ricks advice and shortend the movie to 2 minutes and attempted another burn. Again it seems to transcode fine, then assembles fine, but when it gets to the burn stage, it sounds like the burner stops and starts a few times & then it aborts, giving me err 336130, or sometimes err-224.

Incidentily I do disable Norton anti virus during these burn attempts.

Thanks again, Bob

Rick Steele
December 13th, 2005, 06:07 AM
Again it seems to transcode fine, then assembles fine, but when it gets to the burn stage, it sounds like the burner stops and starts a few times & then it aborts, giving me err 336130, or sometimes err-224.This problem could be anywhere but I'm just wondering if the burner isn't at fault - based on your intermittent results with the Ulead product.

And I'm not sure what encoding process PPros uses when you select "Export to DVD". It may be making up to 3 passess through your video to determine bitrates and multiplex the audio and video which it most likely should. Same goes for one of the MPEG2 presets.

So... it sounds like PPro is not failing during the encode process. That still leaves a myriad of other possibilities (background task conflicts, faulty media, bad cable, your burner of course, etc.)

Combine the above possibilities with the fact you're using PPro version 1.0 and you may never find the soulution unless you start making some "physical" changes to your setup.

Bob Schneider
December 13th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Thank's for the help all, Rick & pete,

I guess it was foolish of me to think that my expensive, semi-pro, NLE (Premiere Pro), would be capable of burning my timeline to dvd. I should have just tried my FREE Ulead Dvd Factory 4.0 or whatever it's called, (that came with my $69 Pioneer dvd burner), from the very beginning.

I simply exported my timeline to an avi file, opened my Ulead dvd factory, imported the avi file, and burned my project without a hiccup. If I wanted to spend a little more time, I could have also authored it with menus, titles etc. with that same FREE program. Unfortunately, I don't know if the final output is any different than what I would have gotten if PP was capable of this task, but I do know that I have a project burned to a disk.

I would be curious to know if anyone has ever successfully burned a dvd from the timeline, using Premiere Pro 7.0? And of course if not, why would this feature even be included in the program?

Bob

Dan Euritt
December 14th, 2005, 04:35 PM
since you imported an avi into the ulead dvd program, there is the inference that the ulead program did the mpeg encoding.

since you were wondering about comparing the final output of that against premiere, i would suggest looking at the mpeg encoding options of both programs... we already know that the mainconcept premiere program gives you two-pass vbr encoding options, does the ulead program offer the same thing? does ulead use the mainconcept encoder? etc.

Bob Schneider
December 14th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Hi Dan,

I actually tried it both ways. My first attempt was to import the avi file into the Ulead prgram and transcode it within that program, then burn it. It does offer 2 pass as an option, which I chose. I do not know which encoder it uses. The result was acceptable, but clearly not as sharp as the original dv footage.

My second attempt was to trancode the project in Premiere, then send that encoded clip to the Ulead program for just the burning process. (I again used the 2 pass preset within Premeire to transcode) The results of the 2 tests were identical. I could not tell them apart. Acceptable, but not as sharp and rich as the original dv footage. However when I transcoded the footage in Premiere, it separates the audio into a separate file, which I was not able to import into the Ulead program, thus leaving me with video only. I could not figure out a way to bring in the audio as well.

So, since the results are the same, and since I can't bring the audio into Ulead if I transcode in Premeire, it seems that I have only 1 option for burning my project to dvd. Thats using the Ulead program. I am a little disapointed at the final output quality. I expected better than what it is. It is similar, more or less,to Super vhs. Is there a way to improve the output, getting closer to the look of the original dv tape?

Thanks, Bob

Bob Schneider
December 16th, 2005, 08:18 AM
After further examination of the Ulead product, I was able to find a way to import the audio files separately. Therefore I can transcode in Premiere (Main Concept), and do the burn in DVD Factory. I have not been able to figure out how to use a non-preset encoding configuration in Premiere. For example if I wanted to force a higher quality (3 pass?) or higher bitrate. Are these things possible? Also I have been reading suggestions that I should be using ac-3 as the audio setting for trancoding. Is that recommended even if the audio is not actually ac-3? What does that actually accomplish? I have also been trying to find out which mpeg encoder the Ulead program uses. I am told by Ulead that it is Windows media encoder 9? Is there such a thing?

I would be interested to know if anyone knows how these stand alone dvd recorders (via firewire from camera) work in comparison to a computer based dvd burner. Obviously there would not be the authoring capability, but I assume there still must be a transcoding process taking place, and do they use the same types of trancoders sch as Main concept etc.? I am just trying to keep my dvd output as clear and rich as my original dv tape. Burning via the computer using my current method produces less than stellar results.

Thanks, Bob