View Full Version : Would this work to save video from P2?

Milo Helton
December 24th, 2005, 03:41 PM
http://reviews.cnet.com/Archos_AV500_Mobile_DVR_30GB/4505-6499_7-31517717.html?tag=img

$500 for the 30 Gb version. $700 for a 100Gb version.

Only a USB connection but it would be a cool way to store and view video. Display is 720 x 480. It has over 8 hr battery life playing videos.

Steven Thomas
December 25th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Funny you should mention this.

Barry wrote about the AV500 on the DVXUSER forum.

Bottom line is it's a cool piece of electronics and YES you
can backup P2 to it.

But...... here's the problem. I believe Barry said it takes an HOUR! to
save 4GB.

Barry please correct me if I'm wrong.

Steve

Barry Green
December 26th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Yeah I just put up a big thread over on DVXUser about it. It is an excellent media player, and technically yes it can offload P2 cards from the HVX, but as a practical option it's not really a good idea, because it took 68 minutes to offload a single 4gb card.

Seems the system is biased towards battery life, not overall performance. Which makes sense, I mean it's not like they developed this to sell to HVX buyers for archiving purposes... it's designed to play back MP3's and MP4 videos, and the MP4 video data rate it supports is about .7gb per hour, so it's engineered towards that level of performance.

I imagine it might be possible to pluck out the hard disk and swap it for something like a TravelStar or Momentus and get the performance way up, but I would also suspect that doing so would have a significant effect on the unit's battery life.

Overall I think the Archos is a wonderful device and I'm very happy with it, but I think it's not a practical tool for offloading P2 cards.