View Full Version : 720p over 60p mode

Kaku Ito
December 26th, 2005, 08:22 AM
The Japanese website explains that in 720p over 60p mode, you can stay in 24pmode, while recording 2:3 pulldown and record 60 frames, resulting the same recording time period as 1080i or 720p, but it could be simultanrously recorded via IEEE1394 on to AJ-HD1200A or FireStore (compatible in the future) allowing to make backup at the same time.

No, I didn't receive the cam today.

Barry Green
December 26th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Correct, the "Over 60" mode outputs a full 100 megabit 60fps stream (when in 720 mode, of course) which makes it firewire-level compatible with other DVCPRO-HD firewire equipment (most notably the AJ-HD1200A DVCPRO-HD tape deck, and firewire capture in Mac OS and Windows XP SP2).

The 2:3 pulldown that's referenced is not exactly the same as the 2:3 pulldown that would occur in 1080i or 480i though; in 1080i or 480i the 2:3 pulldown refers to video fields; in 720p it refers to duplicated frames. So the 24 720p frames are not compromised or "field-blended" or anything; they're direct duplicates (and flagged for removal, so if you're using something like the Apple Frame Rate Converter utility you can restore the original 24p footage easily).

Kaku Ito
December 26th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Barry, thanks for more explaination.

I thought I would mention this because there was some posts about being able to do simultenuos recording or not in other thread.

Rob Katz
December 26th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Correct, the "Over 60" mode outputs a full 100 megabit 60fps stream (when in 720 mode, of course) which makes it firewire-level compatible with other DVCPRO-HD firewire equipment (most notably the AJ-HD1200A DVCPRO-HD tape deck, and firewire capture in Mac OS and Windows XP SP2).

so, barry, do i understand that if i wanted to shoot 720p i could record straight to my 1.5 powerbook? and if so, would that be to my internal hard drive or a "faster" external fw 800 (or 400) hard drive?

would this same workflow from hvx200 to powerbook as recording device work if i shot in dvcpro50?

as always, thanks for your insights.

rob katz
harvest films

Barry Green
December 26th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Yes, as long as you have FCP5 installed and as long as your system meets the minimum requirements for running FCP5, you could do exactly what you're asking.

I would probably anticipate capturing to an external drive, but it will probably work to the internal drive as well. No need for FW800, DVCPRO-HD runs at 100 megabits so FW400 is plenty more than enough.

Rob Katz
December 26th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Yes, as long as you have FCP5 installed and as long as your system meets the minimum requirements for running FCP5, you could do exactly what you're asking.

barry-

as always, thanks for your insights.

the use of the powerbook as the destination tool via fw out of the hvx200 is interesting. if this workflow would indeed be possible while recording dvcpro50 and/or 720p, the hvx200 & a powerbook then allows me access to better quality sd while dipping my toe into the world of hd. (i'm still shooting sd w/dvx100a)

as depicted above, if i purchased the hvx200 would i need to purchase the p2 cards or could i rely solely upon my powerbook and fw out?

lastly, with all of your postings on the hvx200, i imagine your drafting the hvx200 users guide which will eventually be including in the panasonic hvx200 "package"? i sure hope so. your dvx100 book was more than helpful. it was necessary.

be well

rob katz
harvest films

Barry Green
December 27th, 2005, 12:12 AM
as depicted above, if i purchased the hvx200 would i need to purchase the p2 cards or could i rely solely upon my powerbook and fw out?
You could totally bypass the P2 cards at that point. P2 is one recording option, but it is only one, there are many others (including direct to computer, or CinePorter, or FireStore, etc).

lastly, with all of your postings on the hvx200, i imagine your drafting the hvx200 users guide which will eventually be including in the panasonic hvx200 "package"?
I am hard at work on an HVX Book right now, and will be working on an accompanying DVD next month.
i sure hope so. your dvx100 book was more than helpful. it was necessary.
What a nice thing to say! Glad it was helpful to you!

Kaku Ito
December 27th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Barry, many thanks for more insights.

No, I did not receive the cam today neigther.