View Full Version : It's coming today

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Kaku Ito
December 27th, 2005, 07:57 PM
I just got a call from ProVideo Station Shinjuku. It's in.
It's going to be delivered to me today.
I was the first one on the list.
But today is the last day for the year at my office.
I guess my shooting starts tonight.

Kaku Ito
December 27th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Evidently, the first batch had a software bug. PVSS had notified before they were coming to deliver to me, so they could do the update and bring it to me.
People who already brought them home, they have to bring them back to the shop to get updated.

Kaku Ito
December 27th, 2005, 08:23 PM
The condensor microphone was an option, so I had to add to the purchase.
The battery is the same as the ones for DVX series. I was recommended to buy the large capacity since I'm used to the battery characteristics with Sony Lithium ion that lasts longer than typical Panasonic rechargeable batteries.

PVSS does used sales, so I asked them to sell my FX1 and HC1 with wide conversion lenses and they told me that they will be sold over $3000 together. I'm using this money for part of the payment to purchase a HVX200.

Barlow Elton
December 27th, 2005, 09:04 PM
...waiting to exhale. ;-)

Go Kaku!!

Dean Sensui
December 27th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Kaku...

If there's a fireworks display in your area, that would be a good test comparison between HDV and the HVX200.

Kaku Ito
December 27th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Ah, Dean, that is Hawaiian (rather chinese) tradtion. We don't have that for the new year. Maybe at Disneyland Tokyo every night.
Dean, please help me with the quality control of my video. I want to provide as correct as possible to everyone. I will probably get together with Jemore who works close from my office and have him shoot video that might be better. But for my clips, please help.

Ash Greyson
December 27th, 2005, 09:59 PM
They shipped it with a software bug? Not a huge shock but a bummer... All the more reason to wait a while for some.... All hail to those on the bleeding edge though!

ash =o)

Kaku Ito
December 27th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Shipping within this year was little premature maybe.
FX1 had a bug and they let everyone know a lot later, causing some problems with people acutally shooting and found out (realizing later that audio format was probably what they didn't expect, 32Khz mode). Panasonic's move was quit I must say.
I guess that is the reason why they ship only limited numbers.

Jemore Santos
December 28th, 2005, 02:44 AM
kaku good idea ill bring my hd100
when are u available?

Jemore Santos
December 28th, 2005, 02:51 AM
i smell a comparison challenge, my hd100 versus Kakus hvx200. give me ur keitai email and we'll hook up Kaku

James Darren
December 28th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Shipping within this year was little premature maybe....

I guess that is the reason why they ship only limited numbers.

Sorry Kaku, i'm a little confused. Do you actually have the camera now or did you return it straight away due to a problem?

Kaku Ito
December 28th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Now I got it several hours ago, but my musician friend came by and got reaaaaaaaally drunk. I put him in bed now and started writing here. I don't think I can go out tonight (can't leave a drunk with my wife alone haha).

I will try to learn the cam good tonight. Do initial test in the house and bring the files to Mac, so I can get good ideas to shoot in each mode better.

I would be on ichat for awhile if you want to talk to me.

Jemore, send me an email.

We can get together tomorrow? I'm off from tomorrow to the 3rd.

Kaku Ito
December 28th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Sorry Kaku, i'm a little confused. Do you actually have the camera now or did you return it straight away due to a problem?

It came in a lot later than we expected, but Panasonic tech went to the dealer and did the update at the shop, then the shop person broght it to me around 6:00pm. So I got the working version now.

Leigh Wanstead
December 28th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Hi Kaku,

Congratulations ;-)

Regards
Leigh

It came in a lot later than we expected, but Panasonic tech went to the dealer and did the update at the shop, then the shop person broght it to me around 6:00pm. So I got the working version now.

Alex Melia
December 28th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Wow... I can't wait for some footage...

If I can ask I would prefer (as a PC user) 1080p WMV :D

thx in advance

PS: BTW, I am new... Hi to every1

Michael Pappas
December 28th, 2005, 02:02 PM
It's 5:00 am in Tokyo and Mr. Kaku is sound asleep with his HVX200. Somone call him and wake him up.. Time to film a sunrise......

Steven Thomas
December 28th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Kaku !

I'm really looking forward to seeing some footage and single frames.

Also, is it possible to shoot an image of the HVX and all of it's accessories it comes with?

Thanks again,

By the way, you're right, never leave a drunk with your wife ! :)
Steve

Jeff Kilgroe
December 28th, 2005, 03:03 PM
By the way, you're right, never leave a drunk with your wife ! :)

I agree with that as well... However, it could make for some interesting video. ;-)

Chris Hurd
December 28th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Hello Kaku,

You should be able to upload any video clips you want, to the same account at DV Info Net... same FTP address, same password as before. Let me know if you have any trouble. Thanks again,

Kaku Ito
December 28th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Good morning eveyone.

Ah, Michael, I just thought about that when I woke up, but it was 9:00am, darn.

I will do as much as I can. But the drunk is still sleeping in my studio.....

Michael Wisniewski
December 28th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Well how about filming a drunk-rise? ... ok sorry, we sound like little kids on Christmas.

Dean Sensui
December 28th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Ah, Dean, that is Hawaiian (rather chinese) tradtion. We don't have that for the new year. Maybe at Disneyland Tokyo every night.
Dean, please help me with the quality control of my video. I want to provide as correct as possible to everyone. I will probably get together with Jemore who works close from my office and have him shoot video that might be better. But for my clips, please help.

Hi Kaku...

I'd be glad to help out.

Let me know what you need and I can see what I can do. Do you have an FTP site I can download the material from?

Michael Pappas
December 28th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Good Morning Kaku!

Looking forward to your footage. We have been saying for weeks, Kaku will be the first again with footage!

Good morning eveyone.

Ah, Michael, I just thought about that when I woke up, but it was 9:00am, darn.

I will do as much as I can. But the drunk is still sleeping in my studio.....

Kaku Ito
December 28th, 2005, 06:45 PM
I haven't shot anything worth yet, but when I bring in the clips to FCP5 on G5 via Firewire, swithcing to the firewire mode is to press the "mode" button once (to switch to "MCR•VTR") then press/hold the mode button again for a coupld of seconds, so it turns to "PC•DUB". I thought this way is better than some HDV cams that have to toggle the cam/off/video switch .

Working with FCP5 was easy, do that switching above, connect the firewire to Mac, that will automatically mount "unname" volumes (because I have two P2 cards), boot up FCP5 and select "Panasonic P2..." in the import menu.

FCP5 will show a window with contents of the P2 card in vertical list with names, thumbnail, start time and end time. You can select one or multiple, or "all" to bring in to the FCP5's bin.

This is what I see so far.

Kaku Ito
December 28th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Hi Kaku...

I'd be glad to help out.

Let me know what you need and I can see what I can do. Do you have an FTP site I can download the material from?

Files are going to be here as Chris is talking about above.

I might call you on international phone while I shoot to make sure some technical stuff. hahaha. I may need your phone number, can you send me an email?

Kaku Ito
December 28th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Chris,

What way should I upload the files? Because on Mac's desktop, the P2 card shows multiple folders that contains "audio", "clip", "video" and others with .MXF files. If I bring in to FCP5, they won't be raw clips?

What do you think Michael?

Steven Thomas
December 28th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Kaku,

How does the footage look? Is it sharp and clean?

Man, I feel like a kid !

Thanks, Steve

Michael Pappas
December 28th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Kaku do you have FCP 5.0.4?

Chris,

What way should I upload the files? Because on Mac's desktop, the P2 card shows multiple folders that contains "audio", "clip", "video" and others with .MXF files. If I bring in to FCP5, they won't be raw clips?

What do you think Michael?

Kaku Ito
December 28th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Steven,

Probably not sharp as H1 nor Sony HDV with static shot.

Kaku Ito
December 28th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Kaku do you have FCP 5.0.4?

Yep, I made a clip using export with not conversion (self content). But it would be QT. Many people would complain that way.

Antoine Fabi
December 28th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Kaku,

How is the noise level at 0 db compared to the XLH1 and Z1 ?

Kaku Ito
December 28th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Now, I'm leaving to shoot some, I will be back not too long. Downloading files from P2 to iPod worked, so for now, I wil travel light, HVX200 and iPod (One generation back) instead of taking my PowerBook G4 12inch.

Kaku Ito
December 28th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Kaku,

How is the noise level at 0 db compared to the XLH1 and Z1 ?

I didn't have Z1 (had FX1), but XLH1's night clip I have shows amazing low noise level, so can't compared to that I think. I do see noises in dark shooting.

Shannon Rawls
December 28th, 2005, 07:56 PM
XLH1's night clip I have shows amazing low noise level.

I hope the HVX-200 low light noise performance is as good as it is on the XL-H1.

Downloading files from P2 to iPod worked, so for now, I wil travel light.

That is EXCELLENT news Kaku. Did it take long to transfer the files? Maybe I can have the AC transfer files to a couple of iPods if we have time in-between takes. That might be easier then buying & bringing a PowerBook and hiring a PA to do it. iPods are crazy inexpensive.

Probably not sharp as H1 nor Sony HDV with static shot.

Really?? I can see the XL-H1 being sharper & cleaner then the HVX200, but you think the Sony is also?

Either way....take your time Kaku. Have Fun & let us know what you think.

- ShannonRawls.com

Jemore Santos
December 28th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Kaku whats your email addy? better yet get me on this addy, jemore@sakproductions.net
I'll be snowboarding for the next day or 2 so how about we meet up then, are you super busy this holidays?

Michael Pappas
December 28th, 2005, 10:25 PM
That's the way to do it Kaku! On the phone with Barlow he agrees with this as well. They end up as ( .mov ) files just like the ones we posted....

Yep, I made a clip using export with not conversion (self content). But it would be QT. Many people would complain that way.

Barry Green
December 28th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Downloading files from P2 to iPod worked
Hey Kaku, is your ipod still an ipod? Or did you have to format the entire drive?

I'm working with a preproduction version (don't have a serial-numbered unit like you do) and on the preproduction version at least, it requires you to format the external drive, which wipes out everything on the drive (which means it would erase the ipod operating system, etc). Did you have to do that?

Michael Pappas
December 28th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Barry do you need a certain ipod model for this to work?

Hey Kaku, is your ipod still an ipod? Or did you have to format the entire drive?

I'm working with a preproduction version (don't have a serial-numbered unit like you do) and on the preproduction version at least, it requires you to format the external drive, which wipes out everything on the drive (which means it would erase the ipod operating system, etc). Did you have to do that?

Barry Green
December 29th, 2005, 01:20 AM
From what I have been experimenting with, *no* ipod should work -- the HVX would format its drive, thus rendering it no longer an ipod. That's why I'm curious as to what Kaku did, because if he just formatted the drive totally then it makes sense, but if he was somehow able to use it without formatting the drive in the ipod, then that's a new capability that my prerelease camera doesn't have, so I'm most curious about it.

Kaku Ito
December 29th, 2005, 01:34 AM
Barry is correct, I had to format my iPod. But it worked really nice. It takes about 10 minutes or so (I will be more precise on this later) to copy both P2 4GB cards. My iPod wasn't fully charged, so the battery ran out doing the two cards downloading twice (that means 16GB downloading), but thanks to iPod being really poplular among young people, the bikeshop that I was shooting video at had a cradle to charge! How about that!

I'm going to select some files to upload. They consist of fast urban BMX tricks with 720/60p and 1080i, and some static product shots with 1080/24p.

ADDED INFO.
The time took for one 4GB P2 card to iPod connected by firewire was 5min.50sec..
It is 60GB iPod, so I can feel confortable with enough storage space, but it seems I might run out of iPod battery and won't be able to use full 55.6GB (formatted).

Kaku Ito
December 29th, 2005, 01:37 AM
That's the way to do it Kaku! On the phone with Barlow he agrees with this as well. They end up as ( .mov ) files just like the ones we posted....

Michael,
yep.

Can someone do the converting job for windows users? I will provide files in QuickTime movie format. Also, I guess Barlow Elton will do the still job.

Larry Huntington
December 29th, 2005, 02:41 AM
According to my information at DV expo, you will only be able to use a firewire only based ipod or other [powered] external firewire hard drive with the HVX. I have a third Gen ipod (which should work) and I have the latest 60gb Video iPod (which is only USB and will not work).

Once all of this footage is collected....being that I have dialup internet :P and cannot download clips....
...maybe it would be awsome to get a dvd compiled with tests of the HVX/H1
for all of us who are on the fence.

-Larry

Michael Pappas
December 29th, 2005, 02:47 AM
Michael,
yep.

Can someone do the converting job for windows users? I will provide files in QuickTime movie format. Also, I guess Barlow Elton will do the still job.

Kaku. don't worry about the PC side; the Windows side will get taken care of, we have some very talented windows user who can do this.

Kaku Ito
December 29th, 2005, 02:50 AM
When you use iPod for backing up from P2 cards:

As Barry mentioned, it is necessary to format iPod to make it work. I have all the songs in the iTunes on the macmini that I use as player/preamp for my audio system, so I didn't even think twice, just formatted it. As I mentioned previous post, it worked great in the field, then now I came back to my workshop and connected the iPod to my G5 via firewire, each backups if the P2 card showed up on the desktop as "unnamed" volumes.
Then boot up the FCP5 and do the importing just as you would on P2, then each volume showed up in the P2 card importing window same way as P2 cards. So, this way, you don't even have to take out the HVX200 out of the bag to capture!! No need for deck or cam to do the capturing!! This is huge.

Kaku Ito
December 29th, 2005, 02:52 AM
According to my information at DV expo, you will only be able to use a firewire only based ipod or other [powered] external firewire hard drive with the HVX. I have a third Gen ipod (which should work) and I have the latest 60gb Video iPod (which is only USB and will not work).

Once all of this footage is collected....being that I have dialup internet :P and cannot download clips....
...maybe it would be awsome to get a dvd compiled with tests of the HVX/H1
for all of us who are on the fence.

-Larry

I will do the DVD mpeg2 test for sure for you who are on the fence. Since it is my concern to provide my clips as SD-DVD contents. :)

Larry Huntington
December 29th, 2005, 03:22 AM
Thank You Kaku. SD conversions are nice and or raw 1080 clips from both cams burned onto a dvd (or DL dvd) for copying to the mac would be equally great.

have fun!

-Larry

Kaku Ito
December 29th, 2005, 03:26 AM
finished bringing in the footage.

I got some great footage. Some would be uploaded in few hours.

Alex Melia
December 29th, 2005, 03:33 AM
Hi, Kaku... First and foremost, thx for everything in advance...

Then, as I intend to use the HVX200 for film out, I am mostly interested in 1080p clips with motion and, if possible, fast shutter (100th of a second and above).

The settings that you used for recording should be useful as well (I believe that it appears as metadata in the mxf files)...

And last but not least, I would be inmensely grateful if someone takes the time and makes the effort of converting Kaku's footage into WMV, since, at this time, it's the format that best works for us PC users.

That's all! Thx for keeping the good stuff coming!

Kaku Ito
December 29th, 2005, 04:49 AM
Use the "Search this thread" feature and you can search the word "Kakgyo HVX200 Clip" to display only the posts with clips.

Kakugyo HVX200 Clip #1 Yugo's cellphone whip, it's a new BMX trick!! (http://www.hdvinfo.net/media/kakugyo/HVXyugoceltap60p.zip)

So far, only workable with MacOS.

This clip is so great. Yugo starts the sequence, starting with manual then bunnyhop with touch of rear wheel whip.....but watch his pant pocket and because of previous crash, his pocket is ripped. His cellphone slides out and he ends up whipping the cellphone with his peg. Continue to watch how cellphone falls in 720p and crash on the road.

This is shot with 720/60p with defualt preset, Auto Iris.
QuickTime DVCPRO HD codec
File size:127.2MB ziped

Rider Credit: Yugo Ito
Special Thanks to W-Base (http://w-base.com/) (Great and stylish urban action bike shop right in Shibuya)

Video by Kaku Ito/CreativeSuite (http://creativesuite.com/)
Special Thanks to Provideo-Station Shinjuku (http://www.pv-station.com/)

Robert Niemann
December 29th, 2005, 05:04 AM
The link does not work.