View Full Version : CinePorter™ FAQ

David Linetsky
December 28th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm sure most have heard about the development of the CinePorter™ and perhaps even taken the time to submit your suggestions on our web site. There has been a lot of speculation regarding features and functionality, thus, I want to start a thread on this forum to answer any questions you may have. I will monitor this thread and try to be responsive.

We would also like to sincerely thank all those that submitted suggestions and to let you know that we have just officially announced three new features. IEEE-1394b (FW800), Hot-Swappable Batteries and Detachable Interface Cable, available in lengths up to 6 Ft.

Here is the link to the Press Release: http://www.spec-comm.com/Cineporter%20New%20Features.pdf

Best Regards,

David Linetsky
President
Specialized Communications Corp.
20940 Twin Springs Drive
Smithsburg, MD 21783-1510 USA
800-359-1858
301-790-0103
Fax: 301-790-0173
davidl@spec-comm.com
www.spec-comm.com

Shannon Rawls
December 28th, 2005, 03:03 PM
THANK YOU.

Thank you for contributing such a wonderful product to the digital video community who needs it so much, for such a fair and reasonable price.

and welcome to DVINFO.NET.

My question is: Will the CinePorter allow its users to run it in a raid configuration?
Say for instance, I buy a 100GB model. However 50GB is plenty for me to shoot that day. Can I record on half of the drive capacity, and use the other half as backup space?
Better yet, can I use two totaly seperate drives for true saftey?

Also, I have read the press release word for word and scanned the website but couldn't find anything. When will it be realeased and for sale to the general public? Please give me a 'safe & realistic' date. I'd like to make provisions for purchasing one. *smile*

- ShannonRawls.com

David Linetsky
December 28th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Hi Shannon,

You are correct, we have not announced the release date for the CinePorter™. Rather than give out a target date and then have to change it numerous times, as is common in this industry, we have decided to wait and announce a rather firm ship date. We hope to do so shortly along with all the pricing information for the different options.

As for the RAID, after the release of the CinePorter™ we will be working on an upgrade for a mirrored RAID. This will be available for units with the second HDD option only. The 100 GB model has a single HDD and is non redundant.

Best Regards,

David Linetsky
President
20940 Twin Springs Drive
800-359-1858
301-790-0103
davidl@spec-comm.com
www.spec-comm.com

Chris Hurd
December 28th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Much appreciated, David -- thanks for the update. We sure appreciate you keeping us informed over here! Thanks again,

David Linetsky
December 28th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Thank you Chris, you have a great community here.

I'll do my best to stay on top of it.

David

Betsy Moore
December 28th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Hi, my boy and I have two suggestions/questions:

1) as a Glidecam user (vest and all), I would really need some way for your unit to attach to the camera or the glidecam without impeding the glidecam's movement/smoothness. I know a few folks who just won't be able to get one of these unless they can still use the stabilization system

2)this won't be noisy will it? Will it be silent enough to shoot dramatic scenes?

David Linetsky
December 29th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Hi Betsy,

This has been a common request. This is the reason for the latest announcement of the detachable interface cable. With the length of up to 6 Ft. you have your choice of where to mount it.

The CinePorter is very quiet. We will have the sound level figures published for both the one and two HDD options, as well as reports from the beta testers in the field.

Best Regards,

David Linetsky
President
20940 Twin Springs Drive
800-359-1858
301-790-0103
davidl@spec-comm.com
www.spec-comm.com

Betsy Moore
December 29th, 2005, 06:14 PM
HI David, thanks for getting back. I'm a little confused. How is the 6 foot cable helpful for glidecams?

Marty Hudzik
December 29th, 2005, 06:42 PM
HI David, thanks for getting back. I'm a little confused. How is the 6 foot cable helpful for glidecams?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess the 6 ft cable would allow you to strap the Cineporter to your waist instead of putting the extra weight on the glidecam itself.

In some cases maybe the unit could actually mount to the bottom of the sled where counterweights need to be anyway. The bottom line is with the 6 ft cable at least you can take the Cineporter off of the bottom of the camera.

David Linetsky
December 29th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Betsy,

Sorry for the confusion. Marty is exactly right. This is what people with glidecams have asked us to do. Everyone, in fact, wanted a longer cable option so that they could mount the CinePorter anywhere they like.

Hope this helps,

David Linetsky
President
20940 Twin Springs Drive
800-359-1858
301-790-0103
davidl@spec-comm.com
www.spec-comm.com