View Full Version : Ideal setting for shooting 24p

Kaku Ito
December 29th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Can anyone suggest me to shoot good in 24p with HVX200? Maybe in various situations?

Shannon Rawls
December 29th, 2005, 10:57 PM
FULL AUTO image settings(gamma, matrix, all that) & FULL MANUAL lens settings (1/48, auto white balance, iris setting at whatever it needs to be for the lighting condition)

This is good for testing purposes.

- ShannonRawls.com

Kaku Ito
December 29th, 2005, 11:03 PM
okay, I wasn't sure to use the scene files or not because some mentioned about how poor they were set as presets.

I'm thinking to stay in one setting, for example 24p for oneday. So I would perform better in one concrete mode for that day.

Barry Green
December 29th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Try something like scene file 6, detail level -4, chroma level +2, master ped -3, cine-like color matrix, cine-like-v gamma, 1080/24p mode with THIN line detail.

Xiaoli Wang
December 29th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Could you shoot a 1080i/24p and 720p/24p of the same subject so we can compare what they look like subjectively? That would be very helpful and appreciated.

Kaku Ito
December 30th, 2005, 12:09 AM
That, I have shot already, city street in more settings than you mentioned. But my eyes are really hurting now that I can't even focus well. I have to rest and do some new year shopping because many shops will be closed for new year (for three days in Japan).

Kaku Ito
December 30th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Try something like scene file 6, detail level -4, chroma level +2, master ped -3, cine-like color matrix, cine-like-v gamma, 1080/24p mode with THIN line detail.

Thanks Barry and Shannon.

Kaku Ito
December 30th, 2005, 12:37 AM
My eyes are killing me but I will try to do something near my office.
I was able to order most of the glossary shopping on web, so I just had to go pick up the new year food plate from Bimi chineese restaurant for today. Man the internet shopping is even open for three days for new year. This world had changed a lot.

So, Barry and Shannon, I'm planning to do sunset shooting. How should I shoot this? The location is top of the hill, trees on the slope going down, and looking over the city view and I would have buildings below the sun. I would have the sun directly facing me, and I can also do the same one as XLH1 that the little hill is hiding the sun but the people would be hit by the sun.

Barry Green
December 30th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Kaku, another thing to keep in mind: never shoot with an iris smaller than f/8. F/8 is okay, but f/9.6 or f/11 or f/14 or f/16 should be avoided at all costs. Those iris settings are fine for standard-def, but they seriously compromise the resolution in high-def. So if you see your iris saying f/9.6 or a number larger than that, add some neutral density filter to bring it back into the f/2 to f/8 range.

As far as sunset -- do you want to do a time-lapse sunset? If you, you'd have to put the camera into VIDEO CAM mode rather than FILM CAM, and then choose INTERVAL REC. Then specify what interval you want; I'd figure no quicker than 1 frame per second, but probably no longer than one frame every 30 seconds.

Kaku Ito
December 30th, 2005, 01:40 AM
For now, I shot the hotel from my window that I have similar footage from other cams I tested before, and save it as a volume.

Unfortunately, the contents is 230MB but still see it as the wholde 4GB disc image so, I selected what are in the volume and archive it as a zip file. Hope this works for Windows people as raw files. It is very raw for sure.
First it will be 1080i because I was shooting HC1 in 1080i at the same time and I can provide the m2t file to compare the resolution. I will do something with Jemore later with comparing to HD100, but let me excuse for taking care of my bligations for few days and I probably need some days off, too. I'm way too exhausted.

The zip file is being updated to the ftp at hdvinfo so Chris can make it available in a day or so....

Kaku Ito
December 30th, 2005, 01:41 AM
Thanks Barry, I'm printing out your settings.
I will try my best.

I don't know if I have time to do time-lapse today, but I would definately do that some time. Opps, it's getting too dark for it.

Kaku Ito
December 30th, 2005, 01:48 AM
Jeez, it's gotten too dark now for the sunset video. I guess I will do the almost famous street descending video tonight on my bike. That is pretty good to evaluate and compare from the other cams.

Betsy Moore
December 30th, 2005, 02:12 AM
Hi Kiko, will you be posting any 1080p stills for us with slow connections:) Congrats!

Kaku Ito
December 30th, 2005, 02:33 AM
Hi Kiko, will you be posting any 1080p stills for us with slow connections:) Congrats!

Please get my name right at least ;).

I post it at xtream.ne.jp

Betsy Moore
December 30th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Sorry! It's late!