View Full Version : Please upload a raw MXF taken directly from the P2 card

Stephen L. Noe
December 29th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Hi,

If you get a moment, can you lift an MXF directly off the P2 card for uploading? Thanks a bunch.

Kaku Ito
December 29th, 2005, 11:06 PM
I guess this is addressed to me?

I thought of making a small back up each time to iPod, that will make small volume on iPod that will be small enought to do a entire volume distribution.

Maybe I should do that today to kill two birds (new clips and service for windows users) with one rock.

Steven Thomas
December 30th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Thanks Kaku,
Your time is greatly appreciated !

Steve

Kaku Ito
December 30th, 2005, 02:04 AM
The ziped file is on the way.

Kaku Ito
December 30th, 2005, 04:25 AM
I made the archive file directly from P2 card format.

It's at xtream.ne.jp (http://www.xtream.ne.jp/content/blogcategory/48/62/)

Robert Niemann
December 30th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Kaku, is it possible for You to upload all Your HVX200 clips as MXF files?

Kaku Ito
December 30th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Kaku, is it possible for You to upload all Your HVX200 clips as MXF files?

Files need some cutting involved so I don't think I can upload the same files as MXF at this point.

I have to shoot differently if I'm to provide raw MXF files like the one I just did, no rubbish upon start and end, otherwise from my experience, it makes the whole clip or the camera look bad.

Robert Niemann
December 30th, 2005, 06:37 AM
The clips do not play. I installed the MXFPlayer, but it does not play. What am I doing wrong? When I opened "0002J3.MXF" respective "0003GF.MXF", then an "Error occurred! An error occurred while opening the file! For more information please read the log file." May anybody help me?

Craig Seeman
December 30th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Hmm trying the link but I don't see any files to download.
I get as far as Home >> Kakugyo Media Study Files >> Panasonic AG-HVX200 files
but don't see the files.

Am I missing a step somewhere.

Kaku Ito
December 30th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Hmm trying the link but I don't see any files to download.
I get as far as Home >> Kakugyo Media Study Files >> Panasonic AG-HVX200 files
but don't see the files.

Am I missing a step somewhere.

Craig,

You have to register at the site and login.

Kaku Ito
December 30th, 2005, 08:47 AM
The clips do not play. I installed the MXFPlayer, but it does not play. What am I doing wrong? When I opened "0002J3.MXF" respective "0003GF.MXF", then an "Error occurred! An error occurred while opening the file! For more information please read the log file." May anybody help me?

Hm, I have no idea what happens with Windows. Need help from other geniuses here.

David Newman
December 30th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Files can be read on Windows with a demo version of DVFilm Maker 2.21 (info here http://dvfilm.com/hvx200/index.htm.) I converted them to a CineForm AVI and dropped them onto a Aspect HD timeline, all works fine.

David Newman
December 30th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Kaku,

Thank you for posting these raw files.

Kaku Ito
December 30th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Kaku,

Thank you for posting these raw files.

David, good job!

You have solved the frustration of windows users and also save my time.
Ah, I know your software. May I ask if you know what to do with selecting what files from P2 cards for you to bring the footage in to your system?

Windows users are asking that they want to watch the same files but since the volume has other many data, it is too large to provide. Can you tell me the way to extrude certain clip to creat small archive with all of the related files?

Do you know Mr. Kasugai from Adobe Japan?

Steven Thomas
December 30th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Kaku,

The footage of the chopper in the sky looks very noisy.

Where you using gain? If so, how much?

I do not see much noise in your other clips.

Thank you,
Steve

Steve Connor
December 30th, 2005, 01:02 PM
I agree - it's the only clip that is noisy

David Newman
December 30th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Kaku,

Yes, we do our best to help Windows users by making HD editing easy and fast. I just wished we had a better relationship with Panasonic, who have not offered (even when we asked) to help CineForm support the HVX200. Do you have a contact that may help us?

Currently to convert the MXF files for easier usage on the PC, it is not as simple as we would like due to the lack of a decent DVCPRO-HD decoder. Today's workflow requires using the AVID DV100 decoder through quicktime, with DVFilm Maker and exporting to CineForm AVI. I just dragged the CONTENTS\VIDEO\00xxx.MXF files onto the DVFilm window (following the instruction at http://dvfilm.com/hvx200/index.htm) and it worked. This solution is not perfect, but workable, as the AVID decoder has its limitations.

I don't personally know Mr. Kasugai at Adobe, although David Taylor at CineForm has had correspondence with him some time ago. Why do you ask?

Kaku Ito
December 30th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Kaku,

The footage of the chopper in the sky looks very noisy.

Where you using gain? If so, how much?

I do not see much noise in your other clips.

Thank you,
Steve

That thing appeared all of a sudden, so i probably had ND filter on and had to turn on the gain. Maybe we should stop providing that clip, but I though people wanna see the propellars spinning.

Kaku Ito
December 30th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Kaku,

Yes, we do our best to help Windows users by making HD editing easy and fast. I just wished we had a better relationship with Panasonic, who have not offered (even when we asked) to help CineForm support the HVX200. Do you have a contact that may help us?

Currently to convert the MXF files for easier usage on the PC, it is not as simple as we would like due to the lack of a decent DVCPRO-HD decoder. Today's workflow requires using the AVID DV100 decoder through quicktime, with DVFilm Maker and exporting to CineForm AVI. I just dragged the CONTENTS\VIDEO\00xxx.MXF files onto the DVFilm window (following the instruction at http://dvfilm.com/hvx200/index.htm) and it worked. This solution is not perfect, but workable, as the AVID decoder has its limitations.

I don't personally know Mr. Kasugai at Adobe, although David Taylor at CineForm has had correspondence with him some time ago. Why do you ask?

K, David, thank you for the details.

I wonder by just providing MXF files in the video folder would work for both mac and windows users. What do you think Michael and Barry?

Mr. Kasugai is the keyperson for Windows related media production products. He said he was coming in new year to see the turnkey solution we have built and talk some other business. I just thought such key product like Cineform should do better in Japan and he is the person to work it out with.

Barry Green
December 30th, 2005, 01:46 PM
I wonder by just providing MXF files in the video folder would work for both mac and windows users. What do you think Michael and Barry?
For Mac users it's fine. For Windows users who have Avid or Canopus it's fine. But for the vast majority of Windows users it'd be a pain in the patootie. I think what most Windows users want to see is a high-quality .WMV file.

If you provide the MXF files for Windows users, we have to download the avid codec, then dvfilm maker, then convert the file, and then we have something we can play back at like one frame per second. It's not watchable. Whereas with a Windows Media 9 or WMP10 file, we can play back full-screen. For people wanting to watch footage, WMV is a much better choice. For those wanting to do critical examination of the codec, MXF is the only choice.

Stephen L. Noe
December 30th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Kaku,

I've seen the MXF you provided in full sunlight and with ND filter. Now I'd like to see a dark indoor shot, lit by one 60 or 100 watt incadescent lamp using full gain on the camera into the shadows of the room.

MXF once again, when you get around to it. Many thanks...

Eloy Varela
December 30th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Hello,

Avid Xpress Pro HD 5.2.1 does not recognize 002J3 and 003GF files sent by Kaku Ito.The program gives this message: "The imported file is not a supported XDCAM MXF file" .

why?

Barry Green
December 30th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Well, for one thing XDCAM uses its own proprietary implementation of MXF, different from what every other MXF system uses.

So the problem is that Avid appears to be trying to read the MXF file as if it's a Sony XDCAM file, rather than an Op-Atom MXF file. I don't know why that would be happening; Avid is extremely Op-Atom aware. Hopefully some Avid user will write in here and tell you the steps to take to get it to work.

Tom Wills
December 30th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Kaku, I am amazed. I just played back that footage in Final Cut. Truly incredible resolution, detail, and everything.

The one thing I'm really amazed about is that I could play them at a smaller resolution and edit and color correct on them quickly on - get this - a Dual 867 G4 with only a gig of RAM. I guess it just goes to show how much better of an editing codec DVCProHD is than HDV, which I can barely edit on.

John Jay
December 30th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Kaku,

Could you please post an mxf clip with the sharpness turned off; i am seeing halos 5 pixels thick

Kaku Ito
December 30th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Kaku,

Could you please post an mxf clip with the sharpness turned off; i am seeing halos 5 pixels thick

Hey, John Jay,

Okay. I was shooting with defualt scene file for 60p and 1080i, but I guess the sharpness is on at default? I will check this.

Kaku Ito
December 30th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Kaku, I am amazed. I just played back that footage in Final Cut. Truly incredible resolution, detail, and everything.

The one thing I'm really amazed about is that I could play them at a smaller resolution and edit and color correct on them quickly on - get this - a Dual 867 G4 with only a gig of RAM. I guess it just goes to show how much better of an editing codec DVCProHD is than HDV, which I can barely edit on.

Good for you!

Kaku Ito
December 30th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Kaku,

I've seen the MXF you provided in full sunlight and with ND filter. Now I'd like to see a dark indoor shot, lit by one 60 or 100 watt incadescent lamp using full gain on the camera into the shadows of the room.

MXF once again, when you get around to it. Many thanks...

That's easy, I will do that. I have a little party tonight so I will shoot video of people food, drinks under the lights, dark and bright.

Kaku Ito
December 30th, 2005, 08:05 PM
For Mac users it's fine. For Windows users who have Avid or Canopus it's fine. But for the vast majority of Windows users it'd be a pain in the patootie. I think what most Windows users want to see is a high-quality .WMV file.

If you provide the MXF files for Windows users, we have to download the avid codec, then dvfilm maker, then convert the file, and then we have something we can play back at like one frame per second. It's not watchable. Whereas with a Windows Media 9 or WMP10 file, we can play back full-screen. For people wanting to watch footage, WMV is a much better choice. For those wanting to do critical examination of the codec, MXF is the only choice.

Barry,

Thanks, I think many people realize then what the raw file is all about.
I'm waaay behinde with my other obligations to be able to do more, I hope some one good with the ability to master wmv files can help us to provide footage to wide audience. I have three video projects to finish and one magazine article to write right away :(. I'm a dead meat.

John Hewat
December 30th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Files can be read on Windows with a demo version of DVFilm Maker 2.21 (info here http://dvfilm.com/hvx200/index.htm.) I converted them to a CineForm AVI and dropped them onto a Aspect HD timeline, all works fine.

David,
I'm glad to hear this - with Premiere Pro being my editor of choice and me about to jump on the Aspect HD bandwagon, I'm glad that there is SOME way of getting HD footage from the Panasonic into Premiere. In all honesty, I'd rather go through the conversion process so that I could continue using Premiere than change editors. So I have two questions:

1. Would Aspect be powerful enough to handle the HD footage?
2. Do you foresee future versions of a Cineform product for integrating HD footage from this camera directly into Premiere Pro?
3. Is the footage you converted to Cineform AVI degraded? And if so, is it substantial?

Barry Green
December 30th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Hey, John Jay,

Okay. I was shooting with defualt scene file for 60p and 1080i, but I guess the sharpness is on at default? I will check this.

Try setting the scene file menu setting "DETAIL LEVEL" to -5 or less. -7 is the minimum. Around -5 seems to be pretty good.

Also, SAVE your settings! If you turn the camera off, your settings will revert to the last time you saved them. Any time you change settings to try something new out, and you want to stick with it, save your settings. Otherwise you might find that you turned the camera off at some point and then the next time you turn it on it'll revert to the old settings, settings that you may not want to be using. So the key rule is to save your settings! (well, that plus never shoot at an iris smaller/bigger number than f/8).

David Newman
December 31st, 2005, 12:56 AM
1. Would Aspect be powerful enough to handle the HD footage?
2. Do you foresee future versions of a Cineform product for integrating HD footage from this camera directly into Premiere Pro?
3. Is the footage you converted to Cineform AVI degraded? And if so, is it substantial?

1. Yes that is what it is designed from the ground up to do. Remember DVCPRO-HD is lower resolution than its HDV equivalent, so for the Aspect HD workflow today I would recommend up-res'ing the P2 source to 1280x720 or 1440x1080 as appropriate, as Aspect HD is designed for those resolutions (although it can handle 960x720 today if needed.)

2. Yes, at some future time a CineForm product will more directly support the new camera. If Panasonic would be more open to such support, it will be sooner more than later.

3. Technically any transcode is not mathematically lossless, we get about as close as you can get or need. Any work that uses compositing tools will actually benefit from the CineForm compression, resulting in lower generation losses than if you tried to stay within DVCPRO-HD, which is not designed for post. The CineForm approach will protect the image quality, even in more complex work-flows.

Edwin Hernandez
December 31st, 2005, 09:51 AM
(well, that plus never shoot at an iris smaller/bigger number than f/8).

You mean, a bigger f-stop number/smaller aperture? Or just stick to to f8 period?
-EDWIN

Jim Exton
December 31st, 2005, 11:07 AM
I think he means don't close down more than f8, i.e. f12, f11, f16 or whatever.

It is okay to open up (go with a smaller f-stop).

Steven Thomas
December 31st, 2005, 01:24 PM
Barry was reffering to closing down (increasing the f-stop above f8) on the aperture will result in too much diffraction; thus possibly making the lens/aperture the limiting factor of resolution.

Steve

Don Donatello
December 31st, 2005, 01:47 PM
f stop language

open up = means increase the light that passes thru the iris = F2 is larger/bigger then F8 because it lets more light hit the film/CCD ..

close down = means decrease the light that passes thru iris = F16 is smaller then F2 because it lets less light hit the film/CCD