View Full Version : HVX200 - Non-RAID Lower Cost Storage Solutions

December 30th, 2005, 08:20 AM
I read this from Berry Also, you can plug a hard disk into the HVX and have it copy the files over to the hard disk, and then you just plug that hard disk into the computer and edit away.in the thread with all of Kaku's footage. Other than Kaku's footage, this is the second greatest thing I've seen in this forum today.

Would it be beneficial for everyone to have a reference of what sort of lower cost storage solutions work - and don't work? Could save a LOT of time and wasted efforts for the HVX200 community.

I'm not going to be able to afford to spend $4,000+ on some of the more elaborate storage setups that have been well thought out by some of the more experienced members here. I would like to use more of a "hard drive per DVCProHD/50/25 project" sort of a solution. Where I use a firewire HD storage device by manufactures like Lacie, where you can get a range of storage capacities.

The only reason I mention Lacie is that I've used two 160 gig drives with Final Cut pro with editing large amounts of XL2 footage and this has worked well. When I'm not working on the projects they can be stored away on the shelf. I'll do all of my editing on either a DP 2.0 G5 or 2.7 G5. So capturing directly to a HD storage unit would decrease the steps in the workflow.

What are the best HD storage options in the $300 - $1,000 range?

- - - -

PS- I'll probably pick something up today to test this concept with all of the footage Kaku's posted so far. I'll be looking in the Lacie direction, unless I hear otherwise. The one I'm looking at is:
500GB Extreme Triple Interface External Hard Drive, FireWire 800/400, USB 2.0 for about $350.

Tim Brown
December 30th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Hey Derek,

I just priced a 180GB SATA RAID 0 for under three hundred dollars with enough speed to maintain 10bit uncompressed SD. More than enough for multiple streams of DVCPro in any flavor. Four stripped SATA drives has enough speed to maintain uncompressed HD -- albeit a lone stream of 10 bit -- but much much faster than FW800.

I would suggest checking out FirmTek. They have several configurations of inexpensive easily swappable HD options.