View Full Version : New SD Memory Card “Discussed”

Robert Mann Z.
January 5th, 2006, 12:56 AM
guess what? forget p2 because p2.5 is here...faster with a larger then 2gig capacity to start with...

New SD Memory Card “Discussed” at CES

SD-Audio will allow users to easily move music libraries between a variety of SD-enabled devices, to include cell phones, portable audio players, computers, car stereos and other mobile devices. The SD-Audio specification provides content protection via CPRM which is built into each SD card, to prevent theft of data.

Similarly, the SD-Video specification allows consumers to capture video, even MPEG-2 quality, and move it to an SD-Video enabled product securely. SD-Video will soon allow users to record and watch h.264 digital TV programs from their SD-Video enabled cell phones.
And finally, the SD-Binding specification allows carriers/cell phone operators to provide security for content downloaded to their specific network mobile phones. The content is bound to the cell phone device and prevents unauthorized copying to other devices or computers.

Chris Hurd
January 5th, 2006, 02:48 AM
What about Mini-P2, which could be a striped array of Mini-SD cards. That way it would fit into an Express card slot, you know, the card bus that's replacing PCMCIA on today's newer PC laptops.

In all seriousness, I do think Panasonic is facing a bit of a challenge with the field editing laptop idea for P2 cards, because the PC card slot needed for inserting a P2 card is quickly going the way of the dinosaur. For example, all new Dell XPS and all AlienWare laptops now have Express card slots, in lieu of PCMCIA slots. I raised an eyebrow when I found that out.

Robert Mann Z.
January 5th, 2006, 08:26 AM
not really a big deal, i'm sure panasonic would be more then happy to sell you their adapters at a nice profit...

the real problem with memory (except for compact flash) is everyone tried to build a small footprint that didn't allow room to grow...this is why we have 4 different types in the sd family and 3 in the sony memory stick family

what the sd committee is basically saying is sd's life is basically over if you want a faster card with more capacity, so the cycle continues, new cameras will mean you need to buy new memory

Robert Mann Z.
January 6th, 2006, 10:15 AM
here is the link

http://www.photographyblog.com/index.php/weblog/comments/high_capacity_sdhc_memory_card_on_the_way/