View Full Version : Boy, am I confused!!

Robert Lane
January 7th, 2006, 10:49 AM
I just looked at the HVX Ops manual Jan alerted us to. I'm hoping you guys can help me clarify something:

On page 131 of the manual it lists the recording formats. Under the "DVCPRO HD" list it shows 720P/30PN. However in the notes underneath it says, "The 720P/30PN and 720P/24PN formats are not included in the DVCPRO HD recording format."

Does that mean the "native" version of those formats is not part of the standardized DVCPRO HD format because "native" refers to the specific chips used in the HVX or, that it's not an HD format period? (Naw, that 'cain't be it)

Damn it Jim, I'm not a chipset/camera/format-engineer, I'm a cinemaphotographer!

Anybody have some clarification on this one?

Ram Ganesh
January 7th, 2006, 01:50 PM
did u see the nice graph explaining exactly how and what N is? (page 34)

its simply active frames thats recorded...

Barry Green
January 7th, 2006, 03:02 PM
DVCPRO-HD is a SMPTE-codified standard that operates at 100 megabits, in 720p mode it's always, always 60 frames per second.

In the HVX under "native" mode, it's not always 100 megabits nor 60 frames per second. It's the exact same format, except storing only the frames that are necessary. So it's sort of an extension to the SMPTE-codified DVCPRO-HD format.