View Full Version : Three hour DVD with Architect?

Tony Hall
January 15th, 2006, 11:18 AM
I've got issues with DVD Architect. I've got a three hour movie and no matter what I try and I can't get it to fit on a DVD. I bought some dual layer DVD's and they're evidently not compatible with my DVD burner.

I've got a cheapo DVD program, Sony MyDVD, and it has no problem creating a three hour DVD. But what sucks about MyDVD is that there's no way around some of the cheesy buttons and the buttons must be arranged using a template.

Have any of you made a three hour DVD and if so, how did you do it?

Tony Hall
January 15th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Oh, and I guess another question would be: do dual layer DVD's (8.5 gigs) work in most DVD players? I guess I better find that out before I start looking for another DVD burner.

Tony Hall
January 16th, 2006, 10:14 AM
After searching the forum, I found out that it's the bitrate, not the quality that you have to change to decrease the size of the file.

Ozzie Alfonso
January 18th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Tony,

I'll put an end to your monologue by asking a question.

I am also facing the same problem - 2:30 hrs of video to fit on to a DVD-R. I've been using Encore 1.5 for authoring. I have just switched the editing from Avid to Premiere Pro since it can output directly to a DVD recognizable format - M4p - saving me hours of transcoding; but I still have the problem of burning 2.5 hours on to a DVD-R. Any suggestions?

Tony Hall
January 18th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Well, you'll be glad to know that I've figured it out. Basically, you want to lower the bitrate until it fits. For mine (and I'm putting like four hours on a DVD) I used a variable bitrate, two pass encoding, and changed the maximum to 3,000,000, the average to 2,000,000, and left the minimum at 192,000.

With two pass encoding, I was pleased with the image and the file size.

Ozzie Alfonso
January 18th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I used a variable bitrate, two pass encoding, and changed the maximum to 3,000,000, the average to 2,000,000, and left the minimum at 192,000.
With two pass encoding, I was pleased with the image and the file size.

Can you quantify any hit in video quality as a result of the reduced bitrate? I've always thought the lower the bitrate, the lower the video quality.

Tony Hall
January 18th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Well sure, there's a little quality loss, but I doubt it will be noticable on a regular television. In the future, when higher capacity dvd's are available, I can always re-render it at a higher bitrate. But for now, I'm satisfied with the results.

It's just like saving a jpeg for the web, you need to balance quality with file size and different people will have differnet preferences.