View Full Version : SGM-2X vs. Audio-Technica AT835b

Paul Reichelt
January 17th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Hey Guys,

I'll be purchasing a New Microphone within the next week for a production in February, so if you could help me choose between these two microphones that would be awesome :).

This summer I'll be picking up a more professional microphone in the $400-$600 range most likely, so I'll be keeping this microphone purchase at $250 or less. It seems that the SGM-2X and Audio-Technica AT835b are two of the Topdogs in this price range for Shotgun microphones, so they are the two I am most closely looking at.

I checked the DVInfo comparison and at the time they gave solid marks to both microphones, but stated that the SGM-2X at $249.99 was a great buy for Bargain hunters (Audio-Technica AT835b was $239.95 at the time).

Both microphones will most likely be Camera-Mounted or Boom-Mounted at times, and their will be a fix of indoor filming scenes and outdoor scenes. The main thing is the Clarity of the sound coming through, and how well the microphone picks up dialogue.

Right now the Audio-Technica AT835b is still at $249.95, but the SGM-2X has falled $40 to $209.95, they both seem like good buys but the SGM-2X seems like a better deal at the moment. But definitely looking for input.

Thanks,
Paul

David Ennis
January 17th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Where did you say you saw this comparison???

I don't believe I've ever seen anyone in this forurm suggest that any Azden was in the same league with a comparably priced A-T.

Fresnel Phan
January 17th, 2006, 08:37 PM
The exact line he's quoting, that the Azden is a bargain hunter's dream is taken from a LAFCP review. Here it is: http://www.lafcpug.org/review_shotgun_mic.html

I own both and the AT835B is definitely the superior mic in sound quality and build quality. However, I have to keep the Azden around because MA-100 doesn't have phantom. :(

I think the Azden is a decent mic and would be a competitive solution if it was priced around $180 or so.

Paul Reichelt
January 17th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Oops yep just noticed that, someone had LINKED from DVinfo.net :P

I thought the AT835B might be a better microphone, but the review seemed to praise/dispel all 3 Microphones, nice to hear a concensus about it :)

Now I'll aim at getting the AT835B at $240-$250 or so.

Don Palomaki
January 18th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Thought the AT835b can operate off a AA battery, although phantom power gives more headrom.

Check out the AT897 as well, slightly better specs and a bit shorter.

The AT mics apper to have better signal to noise and headroom than the Azden mics, and probably will work better with the MA-100/200/300 due to a somewhat better impedance match.

Paul Reichelt
January 20th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Okay guys thanks for the help, I went ahead and purchased the AT835B (Got it for about $150 Used), and once I get a mount, cant wait to try it out :)

Don Palomaki
January 21st, 2006, 06:36 AM
Let us know how you like it.

Andrew Todd
January 21st, 2006, 09:26 AM
the AT835b is only phantomed powered right? so id have to give up on my ma100 and purchase a beachtek dxa-6? is there another solution like a seperate phantom power unit?

Andrew Todd
January 21st, 2006, 09:30 AM
i just read it battery powered too.. any difference in performance?

Don Palomaki
January 22nd, 2006, 07:31 AM
The main difference is battery power provides less head room (the maximum sound level it can accept before clipping) and correspondingly less dynamic range. See the specs at the AT website: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/5820fd64ff477519/index.html