View Full Version : My first suggestion for a Firmware update

Robert Lane
January 17th, 2006, 11:50 PM
In DVCPRO-50 and HD the camera always records 4 channel audio (see p. 52 in the manual). However, for my needs I'd never need all 4 channels, only two, and sometimes none since I often record audio to a separate device entirely and sync with timecode.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could turn off the "extra" 2 channels or, turn off recording audio completely! Less data to record means longer record time for any P2 card, right?

Of course when things like the Cineporter become available the lack of P2 record time won't be such an issue, but there's plenty of situations where an external device like that just wouldn't be practical or feasible, and having the option to turn off un-wanted/un-needed audio would be really nice.

What do you think?

Barry Green
January 18th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Audio doesn't take up that much room though. On a chock-full 4gb card, audio takes up less than 100 megabytes. That's around 4%. If you cut that in half, you'd extend your card runtime by maybe 2%. That'd be maybe 7 seconds' more footage... doesn't seem worth even worrying about.

Jeff Kilgroe
January 18th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Yeah, and aren't the 4 channels always there within the DVCPRO standard? So it would be a modified form of the DVCPRO codec if two channels were eliminated... Maybe I'm missing something, but I just thought DVCPRO always had 4 channels of uncompressed audio figured in, regardless of whether something is recorded or not. Panasonic has made it clear that they don't want to start creating different versions of their formats in order to maintain compatibility with existing systems, exactly why 1080p on the HVX must still carry over a 60i stream when it would have been nice to have 1080pn modes, which the hardware should most certainly be capable of.

Robert Lane
January 18th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Oh well, it was one of those "what if" ideas...

Phil Hover
January 19th, 2006, 11:01 AM
How bout enabling audio recording through the RCA ports & the XLR's at the same time when recording those 4 channels - this way you can actually use 4 channels and not just dump the 2 that come from onboard mics.

Peter Jefferson
January 19th, 2006, 05:11 PM
firmware updates... lol
the camera hasnt even been released here and were alredy talkin about firmware.. lol anyway, since were talking about firmware...

1) How about a focus peak much like the JVC unit (ie coloured outline)?? At the moment, the DVX has a focus peak which slightly outlines whatever is in focus (i assume teh HVX is similar), but sometimes even that is difficult to see through the EVF. But the JVC literally draws a coloured outline at the focal point of the shot. having somethin like this would be good.. i think THAT would be more useful in run and gun situations as opposed to the Z1, which digitally zooms for u to get focus (but takes longer)

2) a stilll image capture function... now that theres an SD slot, i dont see why this wasnt implemented in the first place..

3) Personally id like to be able to allocate 2 user buttons to allow Gain increments of +/- 1.. (as there are 3 user buttons 2 can be used for this...
As an example, i might only need a +2 gain increase, or a +8... sure u can manage this with dropping the iris with a upping gain, but the noise is still there...
Doing it in increments of 1 however (especially with HD) would keep the shot cleaner
Considering the gain can be set with switches, i dont see why this cant be done with buttons.
Yeah most people will say "light ur subject" but sometimes u dont have that luxury

4) Oh and a PROPER battery life indicator... 4 bars jsut doesnt cut it...

Sergio Perez
January 19th, 2006, 08:48 PM
My suggestions:

1- Original Cine-gamma (DVX non A version). Its a lot less noisy than cinegamma D, and has a very interesting interpretation of overexposure)

2- Gamma control on the scene file menu

3- NLE realtime component output for monitoring

4- 24P and 60P for Pal Model (Ok, I had to push it :)

I agree with the other suggestions, like still photography mode and the colored focus Peak- excelent idea, Peter!

Steven Thomas
January 20th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Oh what the heck, a -3dB gain option!

hehehe

Peter Jefferson
January 24th, 2006, 06:46 AM
OH OH OH

i just thought of htese as i was shooting some stills... :)

1) How abuut a small histograph? or Vectors? Like a mobiel DVRack kinda thing...

2) Turn the RCA audio jacks to active when recording. As the HVX apparently records up to 4 channels at once uncompressed, there has to be a way to run 4 mics into it... SOMEHOW
The only reasable solution i can fathom (apart from re-engineering the earphone jack) would be to run a feed into the RCAs while teh XLRs are also active. From there, a custom plug can be made to (female 3.5mm to Male RCA) to alow u to jack in wireless recievers. Most wireless kits come with XLR or 3.5mm cables. Also having teh RCA active, would allow for a direct feed from the record out from a DJ's Mixer. Connect your wireless kits to THAT, then roam around..
All the while your getting PRISTINE sound from the desk, while your shotgunning interviews. Mix in post and get drunk on the power at your fingertips..
Obviously you wont have the headroom or clarity of XLRs but hey, at least this ay you can still run 4 seperate sources into the camera...
Oh and to top that, have a "monitor" switch, which switches your monitoring from channel to channel so u can hear each input independantly, mixed 1/2 or 3/4 or 1/2/3/4

when i think of more ill let yas know.. lol
(like its gonna make a difference... roflamo