View Full Version : mixing formats

Stephen A. George
January 20th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I have a project that requires me to use SD footage that I have shot in the past with HD footage (interviews) I'll aquire next week on a JVC HD100.

Should I avoid the hassle of downconverting (I'm not clear on this process)
and just shoot the interviews in SD since all the B-roll will be SD?

...or venture forward and aquire the interviews in HD and try to downconvert?

Thanks in advance.

Tim Dashwood
January 20th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I would shoot HD and either downconvert the HD and edit in SD or upconvert the SD and edit in HD. The end results (once downconverted back to SD) should look the same. The benefit of shooting HDV is that the downconverted results are noticably better than shooting in DV.

Either way you chose, do your up or down conversion before you begin editing. You can use Media Manager.

Stephen A. George
January 20th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Tim,

I knew I should aquire in HD. I think I was just getting lazy.
(path of least resistance)

Is media manager an Avid product? I'm working in FCP.

I feel like I should pay you a retainer. I've relied on your post since I bought my HD100 in October. You've saved me a lot of time and grief with your expertise.

My Best,

Stephen A. George
January 20th, 2006, 07:53 PM
My Bad. I just found media manager. duh?

Tim Dashwood
January 20th, 2006, 09:27 PM
I feel like I should pay you a retainer. I've relied on your post since I bought my HD100 in October. You've saved me a lot of time and grief with your expertise.

That's what we're here for! It's always nice to be appreciated.

Please keep us posted on your final workflow.

Will you be shooting 720P30 (HDV-HD30P) or 720P24 (HDV-HD24P)?

Stephen A. George
January 20th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Tim,

I'll going to shoot HDV 30p.

I actually shot a short in the Fall at 30p, I really liked the look it gave me.
I thought I would need to run a Nattress filter to give it more of a "filmlook" but there wasn't any need. (sorry Graeme)
Your filters have saved my butt in the past.

I'll try 24p as soon as FCP provides the codec, and I'll keep you posted on my progress with the multi-format edit. if I get myself into trouble you can be sure that you'll hear from me :)

Thanks for all that you do.

Best,