View Full Version : FCP-high audio hum...help

Carl Metzler
January 7th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Just shot some interviews in-house with a hard wired mic, thru a mixer & into XL1s...
I just noticed there is a pretty high pitched background noise thru most of the footage.
FCP's filters seem to do nothing for this..any ideas????
I opened the clip into Peak DV & tried a few of the things I usaully do to fix it like normalize, eq, etc...any ideas for this also?
Are there any plug-ins for FCP that actually work?
Help me...Please!!!
Carl M.

Michael Westphal
January 7th, 2003, 08:51 PM
Carl,

At the very least, you should be able to use a low pass filter. Set the Frequency as high as you can till you hear the background noise, then drop it down a bit till the noise goes away.

And make sure you are filtering BOTH channels!

Michael

Ken Tanaka
January 8th, 2003, 12:59 AM
Carl,
You may find Peak's tutorial on noise reduction a useful read, too. You'll find it in PDF format on their site (http://www.bias-inc.com/downloads/documentation/peak.html).

Phil French
January 10th, 2003, 03:22 PM
I have had good luck using the Hum filter available in FCP. Open the audio tracks of your clip in the viewer and zoom into a frame that contains only the hum. Count the number of cycles for one frame and multiply by 30. Enter this number as the frequency in the hum filter, check off the first harmonic. You may need to play with the Q. This should remove the hum from your clip with little damage to your over all sound. Good luck.

Chris Sweet
April 28th, 2008, 02:27 AM
. . .. .Z-Noise. .. . . (edit: didnt realize this thread is 6 years old lol)