View Full Version : So pro-world means "Mono" recording ?

Pages : 1 [2]

Ty Ford
February 23rd, 2006, 07:23 AM
[QUOTE=Alkim Un]I talk about one cardoit and ona figure-8 together, and two 3 pin XLR output, pne is for cardoit and other is for figure-8. so will I plug these two outputs to two inputs? such as XL2 has two inputs. camera record seperate channels, and then I dematrix in post ? but without a micer How I monitor on XL2 camera. is there any option switching any source for monitoring ?

**You monitor though the headphone jack as always, but it will sound weird. Rely mostly on the M channel and keep good levels.

another question:
many MS mics has two 3pin or one XLR-5M outputs, such as AT815ST, Neumann RSM 191 etc. each of these outputs represent one element ? if so, if I plug only cardoit element to the camera, MS mic behaves like mono shutgun ?

**Pretty much. The AT 835ST is shorter and better than the AT815ST and both have a switch that lets you choose mono shotgun or XY stereo or MS.

Please visit the online archives on my website for my review of the mic.

Ty Ford

Michael Hamilton
July 28th, 2006, 04:18 PM
I finally got a MKH 418S MS and found that I could monitor the M channel on my XL2 by pulling the headphone jack half way out of the plug.
I bring the DV signal into FCP just like any other, and wind up with a left and right stereo channel, M on one channel and S on the other. Then I duplicate the S channel, and place the dup on a third track in the timeline.
I pan the S channels in opposite directions, and make sure the M channel is centered. It sounds great, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. It seems as if there should be more stereo spread but I guess thats what a single M/S mic gives you.
When I bring down the two side channels I get a very strong and clean middle channel. I can stand about six feet away from the mic in a noisy environment, talking at a normal level and it sounds almost as good as a lavalier.
There is a draw-back though. Does anybody know of a 7-3pin XLR converter that I can use to hook up to a plug-on transmitter?
As far as I know, If you just want to go hand-held with a reporter there is know way make this mic wireless.

Michael

Steve House
July 28th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Sounds like you left out one step in your NLE. After you have duplicated the S track, invert the phase on the duplicate. The exact mix is L=M+(+S) and R=M+(-S) (Assuming that when you recorded, the "front" of the figure-8 side mic was pointed stage left.)

Ty Ford
July 28th, 2006, 06:21 PM
persactiplopoly!

Ty Ford