View Full Version : Firewire 6 pin or 4 pin ?

John Astad
January 22nd, 2006, 09:55 AM
I need some assisatance in determining whether it is okay to use 6 pin Firewire connection with my GL-2. With 6 pin firewire, the power is supplied to the camcorder and in a 4 pin firewire power is not supplied.

If I use the 6 pin Fire wire connection will the power from my desktop be sufficient in powering the GL-2 or will I have to use an ac adapter (dc coupler) also.

From what I understand, if using 4 pin firewire, the dc coupler/ ac power adapter must be utilized for camcorder power

I'm at loss regarding 6 pin firewire, power requirements, etc.

Thanks for any input

Graham Bernard
January 22nd, 2006, 10:09 AM
I need some assisatance in determining whether it is okay to use 6 pin Firewire connection with my GL-2.

Yes, yes it is. 6-pin one end - PC - 4-pin into the camera. Do it a lot.

With 6 pin firewire, the power is supplied to the camcorder and in a 4 pin firewire power is not supplied.

Where did you get that bit of information from?

If I use the 6 pin Fire wire connection will the power from my desktop be sufficient in powering the GL-2 or will I have to use an ac adapter (dc coupler) also.

From what I understand, if using 4 pin firewire, the dc coupler/ ac power adapter must be utilized for camcorder power

I'm at loss regarding 6 pin firewire, power requirements, etc.

Thanks for any input

My PC does not power my XM2. I need my camcorder powered up to operate.

Grazie

John Astad
January 22nd, 2006, 10:22 AM
Here is an excerpt from Wikpidia regarding no power to 4 pin firewire

"The Sony-branded i.Link usually omits the power part of the cable/connector system and uses a 4-pin connector. Power is provided by a separate power adaptor."

David Ennis
January 22nd, 2006, 12:01 PM
PC's usually have a 6-pin socket because they're willing to supply power if the connected device wants it. The GL2 doesn't want any power from the other device so it has a 4-pin socket. It won't accept a 6-pin plug. So the answer, as Grazie said, is a 6-pin to 4-pin cable. Physically it fits the PC socket, but the two extra connections aren't used.

John Astad
January 23rd, 2006, 02:38 AM
Okay, I understand now, Thanks.