View Full Version : Curious about lattitude

Kevin C. W. Wong
January 24th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Hey everyone,

Has anyone been able to do a lattitude test for the HVX200 yet?

Through my observations of shooting with the Z1, it does incredibly well capturing a good dynamic range, even in bright sunlight (which often times is one situation a DP cannot do much about to control highlights in a scene since the BG can literally be miles away in the distance...) I wonder how the HVX compares to the Z1 on this front.

Thank you kindly.

Kevin C. W. Wong
DP
www.kevincwwong.com

Peter Jefferson
January 24th, 2006, 10:27 AM
"it does incredibly well capturing a good dynamic range, even in bright sunlight "

U think??

i thought it was pretty flat to be honest.. not ugly... but flat.. a bit more tweaking in post thatn what im used to.. I always shoot with colour correction/grading in mind, but with the Z1, it just seems that im always making fine adjustments.. then again ive been spoilt by the DVX tweakbility which behaves perfectly in ANY situation ive thrown at it its done well..

If the HVX is anything like the DVX, then there will definately be no problem, save from afew abherations due to pixel size vs CCD block.. but thats to be expected... i Do know that i cant shoot into direct or reflected light wth my Z1s.. thas a definite fact.. i cant even macro shoot lit candles with the iris fully open enough to get some background in for DoF... the smearing is just too much, coupled with the mpg delivery (to dvd i mean.. not HDV m2t) then those smears can get really ugly... with the DVX, one of my traits with it is to shoot directly into the sun.. .its THAT clean.. with that, once compresed, it stays clean...

Kevin C. W. Wong
January 24th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Hey Peter,

Thanks for your reply and thoughts on the lattitude of the z1. In my experience of shooting with the camera under a number of different situations be it in low light, high noon, sun rise, sunset... I find that as a capturing tool it got me a few more stops in range than other cameras. (ie. the DVX and and also the XL2) Of course I do not consider myself an authority on these cameras, I merely shoot with them on the few projects that I had the opportunity to work on.

You are right about the DVX being able to handle different situations well also. I view that camera as one of the most versatile tools out there. I only hope that the HVX is as good as I wish it will be.

I asked the question earlier about lattitude when compared to the Z1 because I had a chance to test out the HD100 as well as the H1, and they both seem to be quite limited when handling highlights, hence my worry with the HVX.

In any case, I plan do some serious lattitude tests with the HVX when it is availalble. I'll keep you posted if you are interested.

Take care,

Kevin,

Peter Jefferson
January 24th, 2006, 11:52 PM
definately interested as im sure most people here would be

I think the issue with highlights above all else is teh format in which is being recorded.

I am not too impressed with hghlights from the Z1 simply due to the glass not being as adept as i would like it to be OR that could well be the HDV format... BUT when shooting both cameras in DV mode (which i do often for 4 cam stage shows 2xDVX100 and 2x Z1) the DVX just outperforms the Z1 on almost every facet except sharpness of course. shooting directly at spotlights and flashing scanners etc etc, it just looks cleaner. I might be missing something here...