View Full Version : Premiere to DVD with lossless quality

David J. Payne
January 30th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Hi,
Whenever I edit in premiere and export as the highest resolution file format, usually an AVi and then convert to DVD I always lose quality in the conversion to mpeg. What is the best way to go from Premiere 6.5 to DVD losing the smallest amount possible? I use nerovision express to convert from avi to a video_ts dvd folder.

Also is there anyway to export in premiere at a higher reolution than 768x576?

Thanks in advance for helping out a noob once again!

Wes Coughlin
January 30th, 2006, 04:05 PM
To get better quality DVD's, use a professional DVD authorization program. In there you will be abe to export your AVI files to mpeg2, and control all the quality settings. Im not sure about premiere 6.5, but premiere pro allows you to export your own mpeg2 files straight from the timeline, and has nice bitrate and quality controls. Or you can upgrade to premiere pro, and do simple export to DVD's straight from the timeline. All conversions to DVD will lose quality, as it highley compresses the video--and all SD video should be in 720x480.

Chris Barcellos
January 30th, 2006, 05:11 PM
While I haven't used it in a while, my recollection of the Nero Programs is that it will recompress what you are trying to put on a DVD to fit it there. A 4.7 gig DVD should only hold about an hour of video from DV for best quality. Any more, and the program is likely compressing it more than you want to.

I agree with Wes's assessment of the problem.

Emre Safak
January 30th, 2006, 05:16 PM
The resolution of DVDs is fixed, by specification. You need to move up to HD.

Ed Smith
January 31st, 2006, 03:27 AM
Please bear in mind that for PAL SD dvd is 720x576, NTSC SD is 720x480.

Cheers,

David J. Payne
February 3rd, 2006, 01:35 AM
thanks for your help guys. i will look into premiere and see if i can export to mpeg2 because up to now I only thought it was possible to extract to .avi.

Gareth Watkins
February 3rd, 2006, 01:53 AM
Hi David

I find the Mainconcept Encoder with Premiere Pro does a pretty good job.
You can define your bitrates, number of passes... quality etc...

Otherwise unless you want to start getting the higher end encoders like Procoder etc.. check out TMPGEnc is pretty nice:
http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/te3xp.html

I find DVD lab Pro or Adobe Encore nice programmes to use for authoring a DVD after you encode.... as the previous poster pointed out some of the cheaper DVD authoring tools Ulead or Nero can re-encode as they burn the disk.

Regards
Gareth

David J. Payne
February 5th, 2006, 05:22 PM
yeah ive used tmpgenc before, normally use nerovision express but i just wondered if it sigificantly reduced the quality of the file that was exported from premiere

Dionyssios Chalkias
February 7th, 2006, 07:30 AM
There's not such thing as lossless MPEG2 encoding.

I've already used Nerovision Express for fast tape to DVD encoding and burning and it is not that bad. What settings do you use?

Be sure to choose PAL or NTSC according to your cam's system.

Then Quality setting: High quality
and Encoding mode: High quality 2-pass VBR.