View Full Version : P2 Viewer and Virtual P2 Cards

Lester Waters
February 4th, 2006, 03:19 PM
I have the latest Panasonic P2 Viewer which is able to read P2 cards just fine. But I also want to copy the files to my hard drive and use the "virtual P2 Card" feature of P2 Viewer. Has anyone figured out how to make that work? I copied the entire directory structure from my P2 card to my hard drive and I set a virtual P2 card to point to the containing directory, but the P2 Viewer sees nothing. Has ANYONE gotten the virtual P2 Card feature to work? What am I missing? Thanks.

Barry Green
February 4th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Yes, I've done it and it works just fine. That program could use some documentation!

Go to the Tool menu and choose "setting virtual P2 cards". On the string of icons in the upper right, choose the dashed-outline-box looking icon, to the left of the red X. Then locate a card on your hard disk. Do not select the "contents" folder; select the folder above that. In other words, if you made a directory called "P2 Cards" on your hard disk, and then a directory for each card like "Card 1", "Card 2", "Card 3", etc... you'd want to select C:\P2 Cards\Card 1", and NOT "C:\P2 Cards\Card 1\CONTENTS".

Then, in the View menu, choose "Show the Secondary Bin" and choose "All Virtual P2 Cards."

At that point you should see all the clips' thumbnails show up and should be able to select and play back any of the files.

Lester Waters
February 4th, 2006, 11:34 PM
That did the trick! Thanks.

Mattew Love
February 8th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Are you guys using the P2 viewer to copy the files off the P2 card onto a hard drive or are you using windows explorer to drag and drop contents onto your hard drive. One other thing, if you do use explorer, do you have to format or delete the contents from the P2 card before sticking it back in the cam?

Jan Crittenden Livingston
February 8th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Are you guys using the P2 viewer to copy the files off the P2 card onto a hard drive or are you using windows explorer to drag and drop contents onto your hard drive. One other thing, if you do use explorer, do you have to format or delete the contents from the P2 card before sticking it back in the cam?

You could do it either way, have done both. Using the P2 Viewer seems a little more visual, confirmation wise. And yes you need to empty the card by deleteing files. If working on a Mac, the work flow is a little different, and there you have to force the delete as the file are locked to the System and you have to Option Delete.

Hope that helps,

Jan