View Full Version : What Mini Dv Tape Is Best?

Dean Orewiler
February 5th, 2006, 08:34 AM
What mini dv tape is best? I have no idea what the other owner of my camera used and can't get a hold of him - I would like to find out what brand he used so I can stick with it, but I can't...I did order a head cleaner that I was going to use first before using a new brand of tape....

what tape is best?? Somebody said a tape with the dvpro writing on it. PS: i have the XL1s and will be using it professionally for dvd transfers.

Boyd Ostroff
February 5th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Somebody said a tape with the minidv writing on it.

Heh, I think it will need to say that to even fit your camera :-)

Dean Orewiler
February 5th, 2006, 12:14 PM
maybe is was dvpro...or some kind of professional standard rating.....yeah, you're right...the mini dv is kind of a requirement.

Mike Teutsch
February 5th, 2006, 12:36 PM
What mini dv tape is best? I have no idea what the other owner of my camera used and can't get a hold of him - I would like to find out what brand he used so I can stick with it, but I can't...I did order a head cleaner that I was going to use first before using a new brand of tape....

what tape is best?? Somebody said a tape with the dvpro writing on it. PS: i have the XL1s and will be using it professionally for dvd transfers.

Dean,

This question gets asked all of the time, but there is no clear answer. Just pick a good quality tape, I use Sony in my cameras, and stay with it. Since you don't know what was used before, just use the cleaning tape to clean it well, and start using what you like.

I hope that this helps.

Mike

Dean Orewiler
February 5th, 2006, 12:45 PM
I don't see many people using Canon tapes, so using about anything seems to be the answer...I did buy a canon head cleaner even though I probably could have went with another brand. I think the guy that sold this to me said the previous owner may have used Fuji tapes because they sell a lot of them at the camera store he works at.

Chris Hurd
February 5th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Moved to The Long Black Line from the XL1 Watchdog.

Mike Teutsch
February 5th, 2006, 03:12 PM
When you do decide what brand you are going to use, find a place to buy them in bulk, and not one or two at a time at the local camera store. Not only will you save money, but then you should not have to worry about running out of tapes on a shoot.

There are many horror stories here about having to buy a tape, during a shoot, but finding your brand is unavailable. Then you will have to mix tapes, and that is where the trouble begins.

I use Sony DVM-60PR 60 Minutes Premium Mini DV Video Cassettes, and they are on sale at B&H right now. $2.99 each, but if you buy 50 they are only $2.79 each. That is a good buy!

Mike

Richard Rouillard
February 5th, 2006, 04:42 PM
I've been using mini-dv for about 5 years. I've used TDK, Soni, Fuji, JVC and (one) canon For 4 years in a Canon XMI and for less than one year in a in a Canon XL2. I've had 2 out of about 10 JVC tapes jam on replay after having used them on a safari holiday in Kenya. The tapes seem to have an internal spool similar to a cine film spool; ie. with side plates. I have been completely unable to replay those tapes using: the Canon XMI, Canon XL2 or my Panasonic DV10000 mastering deck. I have had no trouble whatsoever with TDK (about 100 tapes used) Sony (about 10 used) and Fuji (about 30 used).
I will now not consider using JVC again, having (I believe) shot some really nice wildlife footage in Kenya on the XM1 using it, and having been unable to capture 2 tapes because of the jamming problem. Therefore I will avoid JVC tapes like the plague from now on but am happy with the other makes I've tried..

Richard Rouillard
February 5th, 2006, 04:43 PM
I've been using mini-dv for about 5 years. I've used TDK, Soni, Fuji, JVC and (one) canon For 4 years in a Canon XMI and for less than one year in a in a Canon XL2. I've had 2 out of about 10 JVC tapes jam on replay after having used them on a safari holiday in Kenya. The tapes seem to have an internal spool similar to a cine film spool; ie. with side plates. I have been completely unable to replay those tapes using: the Canon XMI, Canon XL2 or my Panasonic DV10000 mastering deck. I have had no trouble whatsoever with TDK (about 100 tapes used) Sony (about 10 used) and Fuji (about 30 used).
I will now not consider using JVC again, having (I believe) shot some really nice wildlife footage in Kenya on the XM1 using it, and having been unable to capture 2 tapes because of the jamming problem. Therefore I will avoid JVC tapes like the plague from now on but am happy with the other makes I've tried..

Dean Orewiler
February 5th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I had a friend who told me to steer clear of Panasonic tapes - he used them with a Sony and it screwed up his head (gummed it up) and had to clean his heads all of the time - maybe even send his camera in - may be the lubricant on the tape. Anyhow, thanks for the advice. I may go with the Sony Brand....does Canon recommend any particular tape for their cameras. I don't find anything in their manual about any particular brand (I figured they would want you to use Canon) but they don't say anything....so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Doug Boze
February 5th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Canon doesn't say so becuase there's no reason to. They don't make tapes, anyway. It's like gasoline. If the manual says 87 octane, that's what you use. Period. It all comes from the same refinery, regardless of brand.

The real consensus is stick to one brand, one grade (preferably pro, not consumer) and buy in bulk. Tape is the cheapest part of any shoot. So... don't shoot yourself in the foot! All you'll do otherwise is borrow trouble and pay with regret.

Seabrook Jones
February 8th, 2006, 04:26 PM
I've never had one croak on me - never had a head clog (knock,knock, noc)

You'll get an occasional drop out - maybe once every 10-20 tapes - these seem more common near the very head of the tape - so I always rec in a minute or so of bars and always get at least 2 good takes when applicable...

Clean my heads once in a blue moon (not reccomended)...

Been using 'em in xl1, xl1s for 5 & 3 years...

Only tape I've ever had choke/streach&stick was a Canon branded one - go figure...

now if i could only figure out a good way to recycle em ( please see recycle thread...)

Seabrook Jones
February 8th, 2006, 04:30 PM
I've always had a feeling - just a feeling - that the quality of the tape depends on how it was stored & transported as much as anything else...

Don't leave 'em in a hot car all day - that's for sure...

Garrison Hayes
October 31st, 2006, 03:44 PM
Sony Premiums...hands down. the lube is very beneficial to the canon xl line...actually i think it's the same with thr GL line too.

Chris Barcellos
October 31st, 2006, 04:41 PM
I had a friend who told me to steer clear of Panasonic tapes - he used them with a Sony and it screwed up his head (gummed it up) and had to clean his heads all of the time - maybe even send his camera in - may be the lubricant on the tape. Anyhow, thanks for the advice. I may go with the Sony Brand....does Canon recommend any particular tape for their cameras. I don't find anything in their manual about any particular brand (I figured they would want you to use Canon) but they don't say anything....so I guess it doesn't really matter.

I ve used a lot of Panny tapes in my Sonys without issue. What I have refused to do is pay premium prices for Sony tapes, and I understand they use one lubricant that (wet or dry) that can create havoc with the other lubricants (wet or dry, but the opposite.) I also have used TDKs from CostCO and Fujis in both my FX1 and VX2000. Only a very occasional drop out.

I never reuse tapes, so that may mean something too.

Glen Parkinson
October 23rd, 2007, 08:25 AM
I have a Canon XL2 and have been using Fuji DVM60 ME mini DV tape.
My camera is only a few months old and I have had no problim with using Fuji so fare.
I have run around 6 tapes through.
Has anyone had any trouble with this brand of tape?
Is it a recommended brand to use?

Glen Parkinson
July 20th, 2008, 02:05 AM
OK I have now run about 30 Fuji DVM60 ME mini DV tapes through my XL2 since I last commented. I also use a Panasonic camcorder and use the same tapes.
I have had no trouble at all with the Fuji tapes.
In fact I am just about to place an order for another 20 tapes.

Allan Black
July 20th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Just run the cleaner tape before every shoot. Dirt of any type causes dropouts.

Cheers.

Karl Hildreth
August 27th, 2008, 09:53 PM
My wife and I shot a wedding and couldn't find one of the tapes. One of those "it was just here" situations. We looked everywhere then we checked the laundry, the tape had gone through the washer in my pocket. Then through the dryer. I hesitated to even put it in the xl-2 for fear of moisture, but it was warm and very dry! Amazingly it played perfect! No loss of quality against the other tapes. So for us Sony Premium is #1.

Harold Schreiber
August 27th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Hi Dean,

I've run Fuji Tapes since they came on the market, 25 - 30 yr's or so ???

Never had an issue with them, but have had issues with all other brands at one time or another, when I tried other's. Fuji has been consistantly the best for me - through some 10 Cams and 20+ recorders.

Harold

Allan Black
August 28th, 2008, 06:38 AM
My wife and I shot a wedding and couldn't find one of the tapes. One of those "it was just here" situations. We looked everywhere then we checked the laundry, the tape had gone through the washer in my pocket. Then through the dryer. I hesitated to even put it in the xl-2 for fear of moisture, but it was warm and very dry! Amazingly it played perfect! No loss of quality against the other tapes. So for us Sony Premium is #1.

Karl, that tape is now what is termed 'contaminated' I'd copy the material then throw it out. Run the head cleaner through your transports.

Cheers.

Troy Davis
August 28th, 2008, 09:16 AM

That would be a great commercial for the durability of Sony Prems. By the way, I also use Sony Premiums. I found a great place on amazon to get mine. If you search minidv sony the company is called streamline Audio Video. And no, I'm not affiliated with them I just like their prices ($11.99 pk of 5) and delivery is quick. Also, Amazon themselves has a great deal.

Troy

Jeff Kolada
September 8th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I only use sony brand tapes in my cameras. They are the cheapest while still being reliable. In sony's case, once you pick the brand, there are many different choices of tapes that fit and work in MiniDV and HDV cameras. The only difference between them is reliability. The more expensive tapes are more durable and able to take more use and last longer if used for storage.

Glen Parkinson
December 26th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I have made a change on the brand of mini DV tape I use.
As I mentioned before I use to use Fuji mini DV and had no problem except I am no longer able to get bulk amounts of them.
I now have changed to Panasonic brand tapes and between my cameras I have use around 40-50 tapes so far with only a couple of drop outs.
I chose to use the Panasonic brand because the film school I went to use them with no problem.

I now use the Panasonic FF consumer grade in my single chip camcorders when teaching kids video classes, Panasonic PQ in the XL2 and Panasonic AMQ in the XH-A1 camcorder and been very happy with the whole Panasonic range.

It's Panasonic all they way and I can easily get them in bulk lots.

Roger Shealy
December 26th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I use the Sony DVM60PRR tapes almost exclusively. They cost about $2.50 each and I have yet to experience a failure or drop out. I have used a couple of the much more expensive Sony DVM63HD but can't see any difference in the end product or reliability. I don't use the tapes much, just capture the footage, xfer to PC, then keep them for archiving. I rarely use them again.