View Full Version : HVX200 vs SDX900 for SD Shoot

Barry Gribble
February 7th, 2006, 09:57 AM
I've heard a lot of talk go around about comparing the differnt HDV cams, and about the advantage of shooting HD for SD output, but I haven't seen anyone mention the picture quality of the HVX200 vs. the SDX900.

I used the SDX900 on one short and fell in love with it. The color depth and picture quality were just great. And the 2/3" chip makes a huge difference.

Does anyone have any input on how these would compare for a short that ultimately would be SD?

Sean Buck
February 7th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Hey Barry. We just finished a commercial shoot that was all green screen shot with the SDX900. We love that camera as well. The D.P. knows someone at Panasonic and they brought over a HVX200 to do a camparison between the two on a green screen stage. I have to say I was impressed once the HVX200 was dialed in. Switching between the two cameras proved hard to tell them apart at times.

Once I get a cut out to the client I will try and load some stills so you can do a comparison for yourself.

I am going to try and upload some footage this weekend or the beginning of next week of a model that we shot at 60pfs on the greenscreen with the HVX200.

If you can save some money by going with the HVX200 it might be a worthy alternative.

Brian Luce
February 7th, 2006, 09:45 PM
I cannot imagine the HVX could hold a candle to the 900's 2/3 chips and superior glass.

David Mintzer
February 7th, 2006, 11:16 PM
I cannot imagine the HVX could hold a candle to the 900's 2/3 chips and superior glass.

I agree--the SDX must have had a crummy lens on it---just kidding but you really are comparing apples to oranges.

Brian Luce
February 7th, 2006, 11:39 PM
I once did a side by side with a dvx100a and sony betacam sp d50. it was a man against a boy. not even a comparison.
you get what you pay for.

Sean Buck
February 8th, 2006, 12:40 PM
I agree that you cannot compare a $25,000 plus set up to a $6,000 set up. What I can tell you at times they looked pretty good in an a/b comparison. Not all the time, just some times. The SDX is still by far a superior camera.

I have a Varicam shoot with 2 HVX200s as b and c cameras tomorrow. Hopefully once the dust settles I can put up some shots of all 3 cameras. Then people can decide for themselves. But I agree, you get what you pay for and that is why we use the big guns when we have the budget.