View Full Version : What would the ASA be?

Steven D. Martin
February 7th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Hello all:

If I were shooting 24p with the gain at 0 and no ND filter, what's the light sensitivity of the CCDs, and how would the camera compare to film? What film speed would be shot to get similar settings (shutter & aperture) on the HD100?

I have a really nice cine light meter that would be good to use from time to time. Many thanks-

+Steve

Nate Weaver
February 7th, 2006, 06:48 PM
If you're using Standard gamma, it's a little less sensitive than 320...maybe a 1/4 stop. 300ish?

If you're using Cinegamma, then the same number minus a stop. So 160 - 1/4 stop = 120?

Tim Dashwood
February 7th, 2006, 06:50 PM
And if you increase the gamma it can go as high as 600ASA(on 0 dB)

Steven D. Martin
February 8th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Sounds like I need to set the camera up and do my own tests. I'm an old Zone System photographer, so reading a spot meter feels pretty comfortable. It would be nice to put my Sekonic L-508 to good use.

Jon Glen
February 14th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Nate or Tim is it common for you guys or "shooters" in general to use a light meter for DV/HDV?

Jiri Bakala
February 14th, 2006, 11:07 AM
The "zebra" pattern is your built-in light meter. As a friend of mine used to say in the mid-nineties: "My betacam is a $50,000 light meter." Unless you can be 100% certain on the ASA rating of the camera (and apparently we can't since it fluctuates so much based on various settings), the use of a light meter is actually less precise.

Tim Dashwood
February 14th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Nate or Tim is it common for you guys or "shooters" in general to use a light meter for DV/HDV?
I use an incident light meter all the time whether it is video or film. However, when shooting video, I usually only use the light meter to set light ratios and keep track of how many stops over and under I go into the shadows/highlights, and then set the final exposure with the zebras.