View Full Version : GL2 and lav mic..

Joel Sommer
February 9th, 2006, 08:50 AM
I have a question about the audio in settings on the GL2 when using a beachtek DXA 6....

I have my audio input on the GL2 all the way down, and made my adjustments on the DXA6 input. I monitor the camera display trying to get the audio peak just over or at the 12 or the larger dot, depending on which graph you're looking at.

Also, I was testing the WL184 lavalier mic the other day and hooked it up to my Beachtek DXA6 input. I keep feeling a "shock" from the clip or mic on my chest if I clip it on a t-shirt. Have you had any experience with that before? Is that mic new?

Do I have to change something? I've got the DXA6 set to "mic" with the power on in the left mic bank. Will the mono audio then be able to be edited to be mono=stereo on both channels? I'm supposed to start filming today. Actually, now that I've got a perishable product, I have to start today.

Thanks and have a great day,
joel

Don Palomaki
February 9th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I do not know the specific Beachtek you are using, but phantom power is about 48 volts DC, more than enough to feel. The 48 volts is on both "hot" mic leads, relative to the mic ground, and the mic ground should correspond to the camcorder case and ground as well. Sounds like you may have some odd leakage thorugh the mic and/or Beachtek, and a hot ground on the mic. Can you tell how the grounds are set/wired? Are they "lifted"?

David Ennis
February 9th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I understand that the WL184 has a TA4 connector. It shouldn't connect to the DXA-6. Are yoiu forcing it? I don't know how TA4s are wired, but it seems plausible that you might get a shock.

The DXA-6 puts out 48 volts. The WL184 only wants 5-10 volts.

By the way, don't turn the GL2's gain knobs all the way down and then crank up the input signal to the GL2 until you get -12 dB. That will give you distortion by overloading the input, and this will be undetected by the meters. Run the GL2's gain controls at 1/3 to 1/2 open.

To get a single mono mic in one DXA-6 channel to feed into both channels of the camcorder, put the DXA-6s M/S switch to the M (mono) position