View Full Version : Lapel MIC

Paul Gallagher
February 10th, 2006, 09:13 AM
I wanted to ask just what way can you use a lapel mic on the XM2's without having to buy a really expensive wireless kit.
I want it for interviewing people so it will not matter if I needed a lead to run from the mic to the camera as I would be pretty close anyway.
I know I need a self powered mic as the XM2 will not power one like say a Sony camera will. I already own a small 1 chip Sony for taking on holidays etc with me and I can use it but its twice the footage to load into the computer and then I have to sync them both together, just more time and work than I care to have if there is another way to go by sticking with my XM2.
Paul

Andrew Khalil
February 10th, 2006, 10:05 AM
there are lapel mics that you put on the person and then run a cable to the camera from the belt pack - the one I use (I forget the exact name) can be self powered by a battery or powered by phantom power through the XLR connector. Do you have the XLR adapter for the GL2?

Paul Gallagher
February 10th, 2006, 02:47 PM
No Andrew,
I don't have the MA adaptor, does this power the mics with the XLr plugs on a lead, or do they still need a battery?
Paul

Andrew Khalil
February 10th, 2006, 02:55 PM
I believe the MA adapter can provide mics with power.

Paul Gallagher
February 10th, 2006, 03:20 PM
It might be a better investment to go down this road, thanks for that.
Paul

Don Palomaki
February 11th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Last I knew, the Canon MA-series of XLR adapters do not provide phantom power. A connected mic should be self powered; e.g., by battery or a dymanic mic..