View Full Version : 60p footage water splashing & more!

Cassidy Bisher
February 17th, 2006, 10:22 AM
This was some 60p footage we shot in my neighboorhood & house yesterday... I used the sorenson 3 codec so there is a lot bit of noise, otherwise the file would be way to big with the h.264 codec.

http://www.motivitypictures.com/hvx200/60pfootage.html

if the link doesn't work just press refresh.

Vincent Rozenberg
February 17th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks for sharing the footage! Slomo is looking good, but is it me or is the overall image too dark and grey?

Cassidy Bisher
February 17th, 2006, 10:35 AM
well it was overcast, we were just shooting stuff randomly, this was not a professional shoot, we didn't bust out the Arri soft lighting kit to jump over a sign. Just our day off and wanted to have some fun. I didn't do any color correction either...

I think i will just remove it from the server. And stop posting home videos and only the professional work from motivity pictures.

Cassidy Bisher
February 17th, 2006, 10:39 AM
the link no longer works, i removed it.

Vincent Rozenberg
February 17th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Wow, don't feel attacked by my post Cassidy! That was definitely not my intention. An apology from my side if it felt that way. I just asked it if I was right or my laptop screen was way off...

Cassidy Bisher
February 17th, 2006, 10:52 AM
No don't worry about it. It's cool, it was a little dark, we just didn't put anytime into it. Just felt like messing around with my kids and breaking stuff...

I will just post really planned out and well lit footage so no one will have anything to say, sometimes I see things on this forum and I'm like, "Man that sucks", so I don't want people to say that about the footage I post.

Vincent Rozenberg
February 17th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Allright, cool with that then ;-) But still, it was a nice piece of footage to show us how the slomos works out.

Craig Seeman
February 17th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Cassidy, this actually the kind of video some of us want to see. This may very well duplicate the "run & gun" and documentary or "corporate" shoot situations some of us face. It's good to see what will be coming out of the camera BEFORE it gets "cleaned up" in post.

It would be interesting if you did do a color correct in post and then posted that. It might give us an idea how much you can "push" it to fix it.

Unlike those that fight over charts or fantisize about making "movies" I make a living doing lower end stuff. I need an affordable way to work in HD as the demand increases.

I need to be able to shot corporate video in which I may have to slow down fast motion in corporate training videos, shoot in poorly lit rooms since there's often NO TIME to set up lights. I have questions about how HDV handles motion, long renders under tight deadlines, pushing to color correct shots in poor lighting conditions. I need to see how the HVX (DVCProHD on P2 or Hard disk) holds up.

Your post helps.

David Eggerichs
February 17th, 2006, 02:21 PM
I will take responsibility for Cassidy taking the clip off. I told him too. I am such a mean partner. I guess I shouldn't care so much about our "image." No pun intended.

Cassidy - repost that little bad boy. I COMMAND YOU.

Let me also tell you of my experiences so far as the camera resides with me and I usually am the one hitting record. The camera is incredible. The ease in which variable frame rates and resolutions can be selected is wonderful.

The image is wonderful. I shot some 1080 stuff of a friends concert and I wouldn't be able to tell you it wasn't 16mm. But lighting was a huge factor in this image quality. We'll post this next week.

As for P2. It started out great. But I have had some technical issues with the card. My sales rep said someone was going to get in touch with me but they haven't yet. Basically the P2 card has not been consistent with what it should be able to do. I can no longer mount the P2 in my powerbook. I have done what people have recommended but nothing has worked. Here is the thread.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=60213&highlight=p2+mount

For now I have to transfer all of my footage via firewire. It takes about 2 minutes longer overall. Nothing to write home about, however, I still want my P2 card to do what it's supposed to. I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue so I wouldn't be too worried. It seems isolated to me.

Ask any other questions.

Cassidy Bisher
February 17th, 2006, 02:27 PM
THE LINK HAS NOW BEEN RE-POSTED.

http://www.motivitypictures.com/hvx200/60pfootage.html

Cassidy Bisher
February 17th, 2006, 03:35 PM
[QUOTE=This may very well duplicate the "run & gun" and documentary or "corporate" shoot situations some of us face. Your post helps.[/QUOTE]

Thanks ... It's exactly a run and gun video, what would happen if a cheetah attacked a gazelle in africa and your f-stop happened to be 2 stops under, would you say... "ah forget it, it's going to suck because it will be too dark" No you whip it out and record it. before you miss something.

Dylan Couper
February 17th, 2006, 07:51 PM
That footage was awesome! Nothing like goofing off on camera. :)

Oh yeah, the slowmo looks good too.

James Llewellyn
February 17th, 2006, 08:05 PM
That kid had the GLOW (a "The Last Dragon" reference). I think that kid used the five point palm exploding heart technique on you. I'd go see a doctor immediately!

....Sho'nuff!

Cassidy Bisher
February 17th, 2006, 10:33 PM
James, yes, he was harnessing his chi before we shot...

John Wheeler
February 18th, 2006, 07:19 PM
cool footage man. i'm hooked on slowmo ..and want this camera ..just for that. ....couple of questions ...#1 ...what percentage did you slow that footage? ....and 2nd ..this may have been asked before ..and might be a totally ridiculous question ...

if 60i is actually only 30 full frames ...then is there a way to get something like 120i out of the 60 full frames that the hvx produces?

thanks..

john

Matthew Nayman
February 18th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Wow, that's actually really amazing slow mo. Kinda makes me like the HVX a lot more... looks like Dalsa.

Owen Bickford
February 20th, 2006, 06:05 PM
wow. looks wonderful. the world can never have too much slo-mo. (unless you've seen a Sigur Ros music video HA!)

I was reading thru Studio Monthly earlier about GOP and how to record slo-mo in the HVX200 and had decided that someday I'll own one. Seeing the footage just solidifies that even more. Thanks for posting.

BTW. Who's that band in the background? Sounds a lot like Big Wreck.

Owen

Cassidy Bisher
February 21st, 2006, 08:04 PM
cool footage man. i'm hooked on slowmo ..and want this camera ..just for that. ....couple of questions ...#1 ...what percentage did you slow that footage? ....and 2nd ..this may have been asked before ..and might be a totally ridiculous question ...

if 60i is actually only 30 full frames ...then is there a way to get something like 120i out of the 60 full frames that the hvx produces?

thanks..

john

Hey, we didn't slow it down, it's just 60p footage converted to 23.98...

I know there is a program that has "artificial intelligence" and can take 60i footage or whatever and formulate slow mo out of it.. but it's not anything like genuine 60p footage... I would say, save your money and pick up this camera... there is no way around it.

Cassidy Bisher
February 21st, 2006, 08:11 PM
wow. looks wonderful. the world can never have too much slo-mo. (unless you've seen a Sigur Ros music video HA!)

I was reading thru Studio Monthly earlier about GOP and how to record slo-mo in the HVX200 and had decided that someday I'll own one. Seeing the footage just solidifies that even more. Thanks for posting.

BTW. Who's that band in the background? Sounds a lot like Big Wreck.

Owen

I love Sigur Ros... They are actually playing in Indianaopolis in a few days... my biz partner actually used some of there music in a project we did... yes that is big wreck.. that is awesome you knew that.

Steve Shilson
February 22nd, 2006, 12:08 AM
i'm in love. i NEED this camera...thanks for the footage!