View Full Version : HVX has a big brother: HPC2000 announced

Chris Hurd
February 17th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Shoulder-mount P2 camera, recording DVCPRO HD.

For more info, see http://www.p2info.net/index.shtml

David Saraceno
February 17th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Is there a wait list?????

:-)

Meryem Ersoz
February 17th, 2006, 07:38 PM
wow...any info on price point yet?

Jeff Kilgroe
February 17th, 2006, 08:30 PM
About $26K MSRP it seems... So looks like direct competition for XDCAM. If P2 shortages and prices clear up in a few months and I find that my HVX pays for itself quickly, I may really take a look at one of these. But still, just like XDCAM, that's a big investment. There's actually two new HD cameras coming later this year, one at $26K, the other just under $20K. There's also a couple other obscure options and a shoulder-mount DV camera for under $2K.

Dave Ferdinand
February 17th, 2006, 08:39 PM
wow... 2/3" for $26k. Who needs a Varicam?

And, wasn't the new 2/3" JVC over $30k?

The market looks promising...

February 18th, 2006, 04:41 AM
«Price was not announced but indications were given that it was expected to be "much cheaper" than a Sony HDCAM and “probably a little more” than the $26,000 XDCAM HD.»

Douglas Call
February 18th, 2006, 07:17 AM
After shooting with 2/3" chips for a while you get use to the quality low light coverage and nice dynamic color range with little noise. Now it looks like with the 2/3" chips on this new HD Panny it will overcome my objection with the HD 1/3" chip cameras of not being able to get shots backstage and behind the scenes because there won't be sufficient light. Hopefully I'll be able to leave it at 6 or 9 DB gain and shoot fashion shows etc in nightclub and lounge environments. Of course they're always be a Frezzi mini-fill on camera to throw a few rays of light into mitigate the noise level.

Also wonder about the 4 XLR audio inputs? I wonder where they'll stick all the connectors?

Ben Gurvich
February 18th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Its kind of boxy looking.

Kinda like a Volvo of the 2/3 inch cams.

I like the look of the xdcamhd 530 much better.
... But then again if you offered it to me i wouldnt knock it back!

Douglas Call
February 18th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Its kind of boxy looking. Kinda like a Volvo of the 2/3 inch cams. I like the look of the xdcamhd 530 much better.
... But then again if you offered it to me i wouldnt knock it back!
I should pay more attention to the way a camera looks, up to now I sought out the cameras that provided the functionality needed by my clients. But now I see the error in my ways I'm only purchasing sexing looking cameras from now on ;-}

Zack Birlew
February 18th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Well, you could try and get Jim Jannard to give the RED a race car red finish...

Andrew Wills
February 19th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Sexy cameras are clearly the way forward!

Ben Gurvich
February 19th, 2006, 04:58 AM
We should get apple to design a cam like this.

It would be white, and you'd be able to play, record, rewind & pause.

Alister Chapman
February 19th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I note that they don't say what the resolution of the camera is, just that it has HD CCD's. Could this be a 720 camcorder that upresses to 1080 or is it going to be a true 1080 camcorder? To be honest if it was a 1080 front end I would have thought that they would have wanted to boast the fact instead of just saying HD resolution CCD's.

Dylan Couper
February 20th, 2006, 10:15 AM
We should get apple to design a cam like this.

It would be white, and you'd be able to play, record, rewind & pause.

Yeah but who wants a camera that you can't turn off, locks up all the time, and will only play on 5% of the TVs out there?

:)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Mike Teutsch
February 20th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Yeah but who wants a camera that you can't turn off, locks up all the time, and will only play on 5% of the TVs out there?

:)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

You are nasty, I'd write more but alas I'm "Out Of Memory!"

Mike

Ethan Cooper
February 20th, 2006, 11:25 AM
I was reading the specs in the press release and something jumped out at me that has me a little concerned. It mentioned that it has a USB2 output, but didn't specify a firewire connection. What does this mean for those of us who would want to record to a hard drive based device like the firestore? Thats an important issue for the kind of work our company does.

Douglas Call
February 20th, 2006, 02:11 PM
It mentioned that it has a USB2 output, but didn't specify a firewire connection. What does this mean for those of us who would want to record to a hard drive based device like the firestore?
Don't worry then there are other press releases about the new Panasonic P2 camera this is a snippet from one of them:

http://digitalproductionbuzz.com/news.php?newsid=732

The camcorder has slots for five P2 cards and is equipped for maximum connectivity including HD-SDI, genlock, time code, composite video, IEEE1394 (AVC), and USB 2.0. Four channels of uncompressed audio are supported with XLRs, stereo front mic, and Unislot wireless mic connections. An SD card slot is provided for setting exchange.

Now you don't have any excuse please send me your deposit money now ;-}