View Full Version : Recommendations for FW800 backup drive?

Matt Irwin
February 22nd, 2006, 07:50 PM
Hey guys,

I'm putting together an HVX200 package/system and wanted some recommendations on a 500GB FW 800 drive to be used as ghost-backup for a 500GB internal RAID-0 (x2 250GB) in my Dual 2 G5 (running on tiger).

I've been looking at a G-Raid and a LaCie BigDisk Extreme... is one better than the other? Any other worth-while drives? Any issues with this setup?

(If I could afford a larger unit like a RAID-3 or -5, I'd go with one of those. But, of course, I'm on a budget.)

Thanks,

Matthew Groff
February 22nd, 2006, 11:49 PM
I've had good results with the G-RAID 500. Can't speculate on any LaCie offerings.

mg

Andrew Khalil
February 23rd, 2006, 01:23 AM
I currently use a Lacie 400gb firewire800 drive and it has performed very well for the last year I've had it - from what I hear, both lacies and G-raids are excellent choices, but I think the G-raid has the advantage of being better cooled.

Jack D. Hubbard
February 23rd, 2006, 01:31 AM
Mixed mail on La Cie. My 250 has been flawless and 350 ok. But the 500 has behaved muy erratic. I don't trust it. Disk gets mad and starts clicking. Seagate has been terrific, but not an 800.

Matt Irwin
February 23rd, 2006, 11:26 AM
Cool, thanks for the replies. Looks like G-Raid it is. I'll look at the Seagates as well. Since this would be ghost-backup and not a media drive, not having FW800 wouldn't be as big a deal.

Ben De Rydt
February 25th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Whatever you do, don't buy a RAID device for backup purposes. They contain 2 drives and thus have twice the failure rate of a single drive. Plus, they contain a hardware RAID disk controller. You'll have big difficulties getting your data of the disks if this controller fails. Your only option will be to find exactly the same enclosure with exactly the same controller.

You won't have these kind of problems if you buy a single 500 GB drive like the biggest G-Drive. You just take the disk out and put it inside your G5 if the firewire controller fails.

Matt Irwin
February 28th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the info.

On a related note:

Anyone used Glyph drives? Specifically model "GT-050-1F120"? Seems very durable, good for field use. Worth the buy?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=289984&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation