View Full Version : Optura 60 Lens Shade

Frank Grygier
February 24th, 2006, 10:18 AM
I have been using this forum for information about DV for a long time. Thanks for all the help.

I recently purchased an Optura 60 and would like your input on a lens shade. I think I will need some step-up rings but I need some input on the pratical limit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Philip Williams
February 24th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Hi Frank, I'd recommend finding a decent hood here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=breadCrumb&A=search&Q=&ci=2226

Then just add an appropriate step-up ring and you should be good to go. Ok, that was too easy... I bet you meant something completely different didn't you?

Oh, and take a peek at the Cokin filter system. They make a nify lens shade/hood (again, you'll need a step ring) that accepts up to 3 glass slide in filters. Very functional, looks like a little matte box and fairly affordable.

www.philipwilliams.com

Frank Grygier
February 24th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Hello Philip,

Thank you for the prompt response. Could you be moe specific about the Cokin filter system. It sounds like what I am looking for. I have been thinking about the
Century Optics 3x3 lens shade. Do you think this will work?

Thanks,

Frank

Frank Grygier
February 24th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Hello Philip,

I went ahead anf ordered the Cokin.

Thanks for you r help.

Frank

Philip Williams
February 24th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Hello Philip,

I went ahead anf ordered the Cokin.

Thanks for you r help.

Frank

Great! Let us know how you like it.

Frank Grygier
March 6th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Hello Phillip,

Just an update on the lens shade. I found out after receiving the Cokin lens hood that I needed a 34mm to 36mm step-up ring. It is a special order at B&H.
While I was at it I ordered the Lee Pro Hood Option. I will let you all know how it goes.

Frank

Philip Williams
March 6th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Yeah, the 34mm ring size is... awkward. Its pretty much a prerequisite that Optura/Elura owners get a step ring when they order. I lucked out when I went looking for a 34-42mm ring (all my accessories are 42mm), Henry's in Canada had one for dirt cheap on Ebay at the time. Every other place was pretty much out of stock.

Anyway, post some pics of your Optura if possible, I'd really like to see what the new hood looks like!

www.philipwilliams.com

Frank Grygier
March 7th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Good Morning Phillip,

I will do that.

Frank

Frank Grygier
March 22nd, 2006, 08:16 AM
Hello Phillip,

I finally received my step-up ring and Lee Pro Hood. I also ordered the polorizer to go with the Cokin Filter holder.

The Lens Hood looks good on the camera. I am looking forward to using it this weekend.

Can you tell me if I can post a picture of the camera on this site and what the procedure would be.

Thanks again for all your help.

Frank

Michael Wisniewski
March 22nd, 2006, 12:11 PM
Try using the DV Info Image Gallery (http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/) or if you have a website, just link to it directly in your post.

Tom Hardwick
March 22nd, 2006, 01:17 PM
With any non-standard hood it's worth checking for vignetting at wide-angle. It may not be apparent on a masked domestic TV, but your editing preview screen should show you the full frame.

Also be aware that optical stabilisation systems can vignette the image when the camera is moving, even when all appears to be well with the camera stationary.

tom.

Frank Grygier
March 22nd, 2006, 01:29 PM
Hello Tom,

What are the tell signs of vignetting?

Thanks,

Frank

Tom Hardwick
March 22nd, 2006, 01:53 PM
The worst case is black corners to your rectangular image. A fisheye lens has massive vignetting, but then it's designed to have this as an attribute.

Vignetting is when pictures show less exposure ar the edges than in the middle. If you've tried to shoot a panorama by combining lots of prints taken on a cheap camera, you'll know what I mean.

tom.

Frank Grygier
March 22nd, 2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks for reponse.