View Full Version : DVD Burning a 24P project

Jay Cowley
March 6th, 2006, 02:17 PM
I have just completed a project that was shot and edited in 24p video.

I rendered the 24fps MPEG-2 Video, but my DVD program, Ulead Movie Factory, won't burn the file without converting it.

I am really unsure about how to get this video from my 24p timeline, to a DVD, without any quality loss via conversion.

Could someone reccommend a way for me to do this properly, I have Ulead Media Studio, and as said, Ulead Movie Factory.

thanks

Tony Tibbetts
March 6th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Hmmm...what do you mean by "burn" the mpeg2 file? I don't know much about Ulead software, but maybe the program just wants to convert it to DVD formated ifo/vob file structure. Or maybe Ulead doesn't accept 23.98 fps mpeg2 video (doubtful). What app did you use to encode the mpeg file? What app did you use to author the DVD? Did you demux the video and audio portions of the mpeg2 file before you authored? What audio format are you using for your DVD (.mp2, .wav, .ac3)? The questions you ask are a bit vague.

Any of these could be the issue, I doubt it's the framerate.

Here's the short and sweet of how I do it. Mind you this isn't super detailed but it should get you on the right track and you shouldn't lose much, if any, quality. Remember always keep the frame rate the same as your timeline (23.98 I assume?)

- Export your finished video on the timeline as uncompressed .avi or DV stream type .avi (at 23.98 fps)

- Convert that to mpeg2 (at 23.98 fps). Demux the streams if you want to convert the audio to .ac3

- Convert audio stream to .ac3 if needed.

- Import the video (and demuxed converted audio stream) into a DVD authoring app. Export out DVD files and burn to disc.

Once you've exported the .avi from your timeline I would use TMPGenc (mpeg2 encoder), FFmpegGUI (converts audio), TMPGenc DVD Author (self explanatory) to create the DVD. They are some of the easier tools to use for this process. I actually like Sony DVD architect for authoring DVD's on a PC personally, but it's not anywhere near as easy as the TMPGenc DVD Author.

Jay Cowley
March 6th, 2006, 07:00 PM
My problem is that my DVD Creation/Authorizing Program doesn't accept 24fps videos, it only accepts 29.97 fps video.

I need away to convert my project, that is entirely 24fps, to 29.97, or a way to program that will burn a 24fps file to DVD directly.

Can i perform 3:2 pulldown on my 24fps project? Would Ulead Mediastudio do this?

Tony Tibbetts
March 6th, 2006, 07:07 PM
I don't know much about Ulead software myself. You should be able to export from the timeline to a video format with a 29.97 frame rate. I think most DVD authoring programs accept an Mpeg with a frame rate of 23.98. So either re-encode the mpeg or use a different DVD authoring program.

It would help if I understood you process in more detail. (i.e. from editor to dvd authoring)

Jay Cowley
March 7th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Ok here this is where I am at.

With my completed 24p timeline open in Ulead Mediastudio, I need to get this project onto DVD SOMEHOW.

I went to file, render video.

I then choose the Ulead MPEG Encoder and my settings were:
-Constant bit rate 6000kps
-100% Quality
-720x480 res
-16:9 Aspect Ratio
-24 fps(exactly)
- frame based

rendered this video, and it plays PERFECT in Windows Media Player.

NOW, i want to be able to watch this exact same thing, but on DVD.

I only have one DVD Authoring Program, Ulead MovieFactory, and i now KNOW that it WILL NOT burn 24fps video files, they have to be 29.97.

I'm thinking i need to aquire a software program that will burn 24fps videos directly without any conversion, because then I the DVD Player can do the pulldown itself right?

Maybe you could reccommend a cheap (under 50$) program that will do this. I'm not so worried about advanced DVD authoring, just something that will burn these files without conversion.

Also, If i did decide to apply the 3:2 pulldown on my PC before, would this make my video run slightly less smooth? Because i attempted render that same MPEG-2 file, as 29.97fps, and it worked allright, but it just wasn't quite as smooth as my 24fps rendered file.

Joshua Provost
March 7th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Jay,

A few thoughts...

Perhaps if you output your video at 23.976 fps instead of 24 fps exact, it may accept it?

You can add pulldown to your 24p file to make it 29.97, but you won't be taking full advantage of the MPEG bitrate, since you'll be encoding all of that pulldown, wasting bits.

How about a new authoring program, like Adobe Encore or DVD-lab? And a new MPEG encoder while you're at it, like TMPGenc?

Josh

Tony Tibbetts
March 7th, 2006, 03:17 PM
24fps? Hmmm... no wonder. I thought only DVD authoring programs only accepted mpeg2 streams with framerates of 23.976 and 29.97

Jay Cowley
March 7th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Would Adobe Encore or DVD-Lab accept a true 24P MPEG-2 video, and burn it without re-encoding? or 23.976, i found my video looked fine at this frame rate too.

i tried opening a 23.976 into Ulead DVD MovieFactory, and it didn't work.

I realize i do need to upgrade my DVD Authoring software, however i can't really spend much money. A 50$ program would be more than I'd need for what i'm trying to do, i just need to burn these videos somehow at 24fps or 23.976 intead of 29.97 like i have always done before.

Joshua Provost
March 7th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Jay,

Yes, they would. Actually, I wasn't aware there were programs that did not accept them, but I guess Ulead is one. There is also the possibility that you are outputting an MPEG-2 file that is somehow not DVD compliant. MPEG-2 takes many forms, and many of them don't meet the DVD spec.

DVD-lab standard is $99. I am sure there are others around this price and cheaper that will do the job. Maybe one of the Tsunami MPEG products?

Josh

Jay Cowley
March 7th, 2006, 09:09 PM
is anyone aware of a DVD Authoring Program for under $50 that will burn 23.976 fps DVD's?

thanks