View Full Version : I'm in G5 sound card hell!

David M. Payne
March 8th, 2006, 07:55 PM
I'm in G5 sound card hell!

As this is for editing from my HVX200 I thought I'd post it here.

I can't believe this but it is really hard finding a sound card for my Mac Quad G5. It has a basic sound card good for stereo, and it had a high-end optical digital audio out port that must be hooked up to a receiver or other digital audio device, as the book says. I don't want to go the receiver speakers route as that is expensive and I need to keep my costs down as much as possible. I have a THX Logtech surround sound system that I can't hook up to this computer. It is 5.1 surround with three stereo mini plugs, front, back and center/sub. So I'm told that I need a sound card but no one seems to know what one I need. MacMall has me talking to a girl in the Philippines that isn't sure either, so I'm hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction sound card wise. I can't use a PCI card even if it is for a mac as it must be specifically for a old/new 2.5g quad proccesor G5. Any ideas?

David

Andrew Khalil
March 8th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Hey David,
for my G5, I'm planning to buy this:
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=136&product=9468

It is a surround sound receiver without a built-in amp (makes it smaller) that will work with your optical output and allow you to use the existing G5 soundcard and apeakers. It's only 150.00 and has pretty good reviews aorund the web, so I think it's a better idea than a sound card. The only company I know of that makes sound cards that are Mac compatible is M-Audio which is also pretty highly rated, but I've never heard anyone review one of their cards in a Mac, so hopefully someone who has one will chime in.

Barry Werger
March 9th, 2006, 01:51 AM
There;s lots of sound cards that work with the G5 (M-Audio, as stated, and Digidesign, E-MU, MOTU,...

But, seriously, man, you can buy a surround-sound system that takes an optical input for less than $150 at many electronics stores - that's with speakers! Why don't you just do that?

Steev Dinkins
March 9th, 2006, 02:03 AM
I'm not sure this thread belongs under HVX200, and I'm not sure exactly how you're intending on utilizing surround. But this is what I'd suggest.

Get a firewire audio interface:

For example:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=702&ParentId=114

www.m-audio.com www.motu.com or www.digidesign.com are other avenues to pursue.

Hook up the individual audio outputs to your surround speakers or whathaveya.

But here's the question. What are you going to do in surround? Post work? Playing back surround in DVD Player?

For post work, I'm assuming you have Logic Pro, or Digital Performer, or Nuendo, or Pro Tools, etc. It looks like Soundtrack Pro can support it to, but I can't get it to work with Digidesign hardware.

David M. Payne
March 9th, 2006, 09:47 PM
I'm not sure this thread belongs under HVX200, and I'm not sure exactly how you're intending on utilizing surround. But this is what I'd suggest.

Get a firewire audio interface:

For example:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=702&ParentId=114

www.m-audio.com www.motu.com or www.digidesign.com are other avenues to pursue.

Hook up the individual audio outputs to your surround speakers or whathaveya.

But here's the question. What are you going to do in surround? Post work? Playing back surround in DVD Player?

For post work, I'm assuming you have Logic Pro, or Digital Performer, or Nuendo, or Pro Tools, etc. It looks like Soundtrack Pro can support it to, but I can't get it to work with Digidesign hardware.

I'm going to be using soundtrack pro that came with FCP studio, which is my editing program for the film. Thanks for the great links BTW. Also I do want to listen to music and DVD's on my G5 from time to time.

David

David M. Payne
March 9th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Hey David,
for my G5, I'm planning to buy this:
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=136&product=9468

It is a surround sound receiver without a built-in amp (makes it smaller) that will work with your optical output and allow you to use the existing G5 soundcard and apeakers. It's only 150.00 and has pretty good reviews aorund the web, so I think it's a better idea than a sound card. The only company I know of that makes sound cards that are Mac compatible is M-Audio which is also pretty highly rated, but I've never heard anyone review one of their cards in a Mac, so hopefully someone who has one will chime in.

This is a good option to, thanks.

David

David M. Payne
March 9th, 2006, 09:51 PM
There;s lots of sound cards that work with the G5 (M-Audio, as stated, and Digidesign, E-MU, MOTU,...

But, seriously, man, you can buy a surround-sound system that takes an optical input for less than $150 at many electronics stores - that's with speakers! Why don't you just do that?

I'm looking for a little higher quality than any system for $150, and the Logtech sounds really good for the money, plus it is THX certified.

David

David M. Payne
March 10th, 2006, 08:36 PM
OK, for those having the same problem I'm having, I just bought a Miglia HarmonyAudio FireWire Interface for $329 from OWC. It will do 2.1, 5.1 and 7.1 surround, mini stereo plugs out to your speaker system. You can use it to do mic in for voice over during editing of your film, etc.

David

David M. Payne
March 10th, 2006, 08:48 PM
I know that this is not the right forum for this, but for two days now I've tried to post this ad here in the marketplace and it never shows up. Anybody know why?

For sale 1 DVX100a with full accessories and a 16X9 lens, + for $3,100.

With the two HVX200's I have no need for two DVX100a's. I have recorded 6-7 tapes with it, so it is in excellent shape, with the original box, and a copy of magic bullet. (Sorry, I'm keeping Barry's book and DVD, I only got one copy with the second DVX.) It comes with the Panasonic AG-LA7200G 16X9 lens as a package deal. (They have to go together, I have no use for the lens without the camera, and my other DVX has one on it. Besides when you see how great it shoots in 16X9 you'll be glad you bought it.) The lens was $750.00 from EVS so this is a pretty good deal for someone who might want the option of filming in 16X9 as well as 4X3. I'm also including a set of three Bower 72mm lens new over $80.00. A polarizing lens, a FDL and a UV, new in the wrapper and box. I never used them because I used the camera with the 16X9 lens from the start on "Holy War" the film I'm working on. I will also include a serviceable tripod, a Vanguard with a quick release head and a carrying case. It works OK with the DVX, but it isn't a top of the line tripod. Payment by cashiers check or cash if you are within 200 mi of Reno, or willing to come here for the exchange. Contact me here for the details, or at holywar4u@yahoo.com. I'll cover standard UPS ground shipping or Priority mail, both with insurance. UPS next day, FedEx next day etc you pay for.

David