View Full Version : 480i DVCPRO mode...

Michael Paul Young
March 9th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Has anyone been using this mode? Like with the DVCPRO and P2 cards? I just shot some tests and its interlaced mania and nasty..no idea why. Im shooting in 24p mode, but the pans and movement are interlaced. Do I have something set wrong, misunderstanding something? Read manual and got nowhere, anyone have any experience, clues?

Peter Jefferson
March 9th, 2006, 08:32 PM
have u ever shot in progressive scan before???

best thing to do is do a search on progressive shooting and this should answer any concerns u have with 24p

Michael Paul Young
March 9th, 2006, 10:25 PM
yes, I shot with the XL2 in the same mode many of times, but in Dv compression. Never did I have such a result as Im having now..and that was on even more of a compression.

Steev Dinkins
March 9th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Has anyone been using this mode? Like with the DVCPRO and P2 cards? I just shot some tests and its interlaced mania and nasty..no idea why. Im shooting in 24p mode, but the pans and movement are interlaced. Do I have something set wrong, misunderstanding something? Read manual and got nowhere, anyone have any experience, clues?

You're making it difficult for anyone to troubleshoot for you, since you dont' mention what editing system you're using, what the settings are on the editing system, what you're viewing the footage on, etc. Also when you say DVCPRO are you talking DV50 or DV25.

Bottom line is if you have it set up correctly, you won't see interlaced artifacts on 24p or 30p footage, even across 480i.

Michael Paul Young
March 10th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Im just brining the photage in via P2, import straight into Final cut. Even just playing that imported stuff back, not ina sequence, its interlaced and such. To be a bit more in detail...Put the P2 card into the powerbook, open Final Cut, file import, from P2. Then when I open it in the library, and play back, its interlaced and such.

Michael Paul Young
March 10th, 2006, 09:47 AM
I just did another test...when I shoot 30p, no interlacing issues...But when I shoot 24p I get the interlacing....

Steev Dinkins
March 10th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Haha. I forget what a can of worms this is. Are you shooting 24p, or 24p advanced? If you're shooting 24pA, you should remove pulldown and end up with "true" 24fps, with no interlaced artifacts. If you are just looking at 24p non-advanced or 24pA without pulldown, you'll see interlaced artifacts. Personally I never would never shoot 24p without advanced, since you can always add the pulldown after the fact in a 29.97 timeline, but if you shoot 24p non-advanced, and you end up wanting true 24fps, you're hosed.

If you need further explanation...

http://www.adamwilt.com/24p/#24pRecording

If anyone else has the energy to explain further, chime in. These issues and workflows have been brought up and hashed out years ago with the DVX100.

Michael Paul Young
March 10th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Ok i wll test this out and check that site. Whats wierd though is I have been workin in 720p mode and doing 24pn on that with none of these issues. Its only happening in 480i mode...I have tryed both 24p and 24pa, both are giving me interlacing..Thanks for the help so far..It just seems odd this is only happening in this 480i mode.

Heres is a example: http://www.designgraphik.com/x/interlace.pdf

Just doing a test in the studio, you can see the interlacing. Im just doing a P2 import in Final Cut. Im not sure if its final cut jacking this up or what. Also one thing im noticing, when shooting in 480i, is that the viewfinder acts like its shrinking the image. Edges look fuzzy, etc. But when you bump up to 720p mode, everythings nice again.

Michael Paul Young
March 10th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Well the issue is this, it seems for some reason, just these modes 480i/24p, 480i/24pa, using any of the available encoders, Final Cut brings it in wrong. Its bringing them at 29.97 with lower field interlace for some reason. So then I do remove advanced pulldown, which gets me my 24p, but then its still interlaced in its properties. All im doing is selecting the clips via the P2 import screen. If anyone has experienced this problem as well, feel free to shine some light.

Jared Heck
March 10th, 2006, 03:18 PM
The issue is that in 720p the camera will record 24fps natively to the p2 card. If you wish to record 24p in 480i or 1080i the camera always records a full 29.97fps interlaced stream and the pull down has to be removed in post.

Michael Paul Young
March 10th, 2006, 03:32 PM
So no matter what your gonna get interlacing? Becuase I removed the pull down, got it to 24p, discovered in Final Cut how to change fields to "none". But the result is still interlaced movement...I used an xl2 before this camera, and the same exact same mode did not give me these results. Bit on top of it all, its really odd to me, that if I bump to 30p, this does not happen.

Leonard Levy
March 10th, 2006, 03:37 PM
What do you mean by interlaced mania?
Is there any possibility you have the fields reversed?

Michael Paul Young
March 10th, 2006, 03:53 PM
See my pdf link above? Thats how it looks in Final Cut, interlaced lines, progressive frame rate should not have this. Final cut or this camera is flaking out on any of the 24p modes when in 480i. If i shoot 480i 30p, there is no interlacing. Its not making any sense...

Leonard Levy
March 10th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I don't understand why you are having a problem unless you are doing something unusual with the footage.
24P at 480i is built into a 60i interlaced signal, so the timeline you are using in fina lcut pro should just be a normal interlaced timeline - plain garden variety video.
What are your timeline settings and what are your settings for field dominance. I don't think you should check "none" on fields and you shouldn't be merssing around with removing pulldowns.
Plain old video timeline.

Michael Paul Young
March 10th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Wells, its not even a timeline playback issue. Its just previewing the file right after import via P2 Import in FC. I understand the basic setups of timeline and fields.

How is it though, ill shot same exact thing in 480i / 30p, and theres no interlacing and final cut reads it right off the P2 card just fine. But when I shoot 480i/24p, the photage has fields and is interlaced? im sorry, that just doesnt make any sense to me. This camera should not be shooting interlaced clips when in progressive frame rate mode. Like I mentioned before, 30p doesnt have fields, why does this 24p/pa have it? Is anyone else using this format, and is it interlaced on import?

Bob Gundu
March 10th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Wells, its not even a timeline playback issue. Its just previewing the file right after import via P2 Import in FC. I understand the basic setups of timeline and fields.

How is it though, ill shot same exact thing in 480i / 30p, and theres no interlacing and final cut reads it right off the P2 card just fine. But when I shoot 480i/24p, the photage has fields and is interlaced? im sorry, that just doesnt make any sense to me. This camera should not be shooting interlaced clips when in progressive frame rate mode. Like I mentioned before, 30p doesnt have fields, why does this 24p/pa have it? Is anyone else using this format, and is it interlaced on import?

You are obviously new to how progressive 24 frames are attained in 480i and 1080i. This is how the XL2 and DVX does it also. Yes the sensor is recording progressively but it has to record to tape or the P2 as a NTSC signal which is 29.97 interlaced. So the clip in 24P is recorded as progressive and adds 3:2 pulldown. Just like when film is telecined to play on TV. When you select 24PA, the camera will also add interlacing but in a 3:2:2:3 pattern (advanced pulldown). The resulting clip is also interlaced but in a way that FCP can easily remove the redundant frames leaving the true 24 progressive frames. You do not need to do this in 720pN mode because it only records the 24 frames to the P2. When you record in 720P mode it records 60 progressive frames but the 24 are flagged.

Sooo... you have to in 480i mode, remove the advanced pulldown from the clip to get 24 progressive frames. You can do this in Cinema tools too. It's all there in the FCP online manual.

Michael Paul Young
March 11th, 2006, 09:07 AM
I keep saying, no im not really new to 24p. What I am new to is this camera and im curious if im importing it wrong somehow or have something set wrong. I shot on the xl2 for sometime, and never had anywhere near this result (see image link) in the same exact mode. Not only that, everyone keeps refering to, since its 480i, its interlaced. Then why is it 30p results in progressive images and no interlacing in the same exact mode? And as well, when I tested 1080i 24p, there was no interlacing.

Im curious if anyone has done a test with 480i /24p, then import via P2 in final cut, see if you get same results...

Steev Dinkins
March 11th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Im curious if anyone has done a test with 480i /24p, then import via P2 in final cut, see if you get same results...

And we race to the finish line indicating that in fact you are *not* removing your pulldown!

http://www.holyzoo.com/000/images/holyzoo/video_production/PulldownRemoval.jpg

That is the result after removing pulldown in FCP. This is the same for DV, DVCPRO, or DV50 captured to P2 on the HVX200.

Pulldown Removal:
http://www.holyzoo.com/000/images/holyzoo/video_production/PulldownRemoval.jpg

Know it, live it, love it.

Michael Paul Young
March 11th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Yes, I did remove advanced pulldown, and still the same. When I did do that, I was able to get it to read it as 24p, instead of 30, thats about the only thing that has been fixed. But, then if I have done it, why does it still look like this. As well, this is the warning I get if I try to do the remove pulldown once again. I feel like im having to defend every action I have actually done more than finding a result..hahaa...

http://www.designgraphik.com/x/picture2.jpg

Steev Dinkins
March 11th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Dang, and I thought this was just a simple problem. I guess not.