View Full Version : I've joined the dark side.

Dylan Couper
March 10th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Well... I've gone and done it. After years of shooting shiny white Canon XL cameras, a matt black HVX200 is sitting evilly on my desk, laughing at me for caving and joining the dark side.

Why did I choose an HVX200 over the XLH1? P2 cards (way of the future!), overcrank abilities, and an HD format that might play better to what I want to create.

I haven't shot anything with it yet, as I celebrated the unpacking with several beer and a rather serious glass of Talisker. I suppose I'd better, time to see what this baby can do!

Chris Barcellos
March 10th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Hey--- I thought we Sony users were the dark side !!??

Barlow Elton
March 10th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Enjoy! Just don't shoot the dark side with it. ;-)

Glenn Davidson
March 10th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Enjoy! Just don't shoot the dark side with it. ;-)

Now that's funny!

Dylan Couper
March 10th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Hey--- I thought we Sony users were the dark side !!??

Hmm... Guess you are right. How about the grey/blue side then? :)

Chris Hurd
March 10th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Well, knock me over with a feather. Congrats! You need a black cape to go with that.

Keith Loh
March 11th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Dylan, when I saw the thread title I thought you had bought a Macintosh.

Michael Wisniewski
March 11th, 2006, 02:59 AM
Darth Couper? Mwahahaha. HVX I see, you have. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice ...

Congratulations! May the P2 be with you, always. And remember, hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

Barlow Elton
March 11th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Well... I've gone and done it. After years of shooting shiny white Canon XL cameras, a matt black HVX200 is sitting evilly on my desk, laughing at me for caving and joining the dark side.

Yes, sounds like Darth Maul. He speaks to you from the netherworld of the dark side. He made a lot of noise in the beginning...but was gone all too soon. The master still seeks a more powerful apprentice.

btw, my H1 has taken to the Sith look, but its' miti-chlorian count is still off the charts! Jar Jar, not, it is. Oh, and it's light saber is really long, but sometimes too slow for battle. I've learned to let go and trust my feelings.

Why did I choose an HVX200 over the XLH1? P2 cards (way of the future!)

Why do Hughes' urine bottles in "The Aviator" come to mind? (way of the future..way of the future**switch cards**...way of the future)

overcrank abilities, and an HD format that might play better to what I want to create.

Yes, the seduction of the dark side. he he, jk. Personally, my H1 uses the power of the dark side quite well. It's training has been slower, but it has mastered most of the techniques. I still wish it could make the jump to hyperspace though. (intervalometer)

I haven't shot anything with it yet, as I celebrated the unpacking with several beer and a rather serious glass of Talisker. I suppose I'd better, time to see what this baby can do!

Just messin', bro. I can dig it. I've enjoyed the little trip back to the galaxy far, far away. The panny's a cool little camera, as are the other "jedi". Some have taken the easy path, others have not. Enjoy your HVX 1138 and may the force be with you.

Peter Sieben
March 11th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Hi Dylan,

Congratulations on your new camera. Now you have to shoot a new Lady hvX episode, okay?! ;-)

Meryem Ersoz
March 11th, 2006, 03:29 PM
what?? no 5D? next thing, you'll be saddling up a nikon D70. oh, where is the love?

Phil Hover
March 11th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I'm about to join the dark side and buy a mac :)

Dylan Couper
March 11th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Why do Hughes' urine bottles in "The Aviator" come to mind? (way of the future..way of the future**switch cards**...way of the future)

Awesome, I didn't think anyone would pick up on that one! :)

Meryem, the 5d will have to wait another 5 cases of ramen noodles, sigh.

Got to say, the P2/variable frame rate setup has quite a learning curve to it. Wheras I'm confident I could have picked up an XLH1 and been shooting and editing within minutes, I'm stumbling through the manual with the HVX200. I'll have a bunch of pretty n00b questions in another day or so. At this point I haven't even gotten any footage on my PC yet.

And no, there is no Mac in my future. They are good computers, but I'm a PC guy. ALthough I still haven't figured out how I'm going to edit any of the HD footage...

Paul Farmer
March 11th, 2006, 04:56 PM
I'm about to join the dark side and buy a mac :)

Phil -

Do it . . . and you'll never go "back"! :)

Barlow Elton
March 11th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Awesome, I didn't think anyone would pick up on that one! :)

:-)

Got to say, the P2/variable frame rate setup has quite a learning curve to it. Wheras I'm confident I could have picked up an XLH1 and been shooting and editing within minutes, I'm stumbling through the manual with the HVX200. I'll have a bunch of pretty n00b questions in another day or so. At this point I haven't even gotten any footage on my PC yet.

And no, there is no Mac in my future. They are good computers, but I'm a PC guy. ALthough I still haven't figured out how I'm going to edit any of the HD footage...

The PC side of the equation is a little more dicey, I think, at this juncture. Nothing quite as cheap and solid as the FCP solution, but there'll be plenty of good options on the PC soon enough. Does Avid Express HD offer the variable frame rate support?

Good luck and have fun with your camera! Post some cool footage!

Dylan Couper
March 11th, 2006, 10:22 PM
What's the first thing I shot with the HVX?

My dogs of course. :)
Also caught a bee (?!?) flying around my office this morning, caught it in a wine glass and filmed that.

Phil Hover
March 12th, 2006, 02:36 AM
Phil -

Do it . . . and you'll never go "back"! :)

I'll go back....for audio/Nuendo!!!

Greg Boston
March 12th, 2006, 08:37 AM
I'll go back....for audio/Nuendo!!!

I have thoroughly enjoyed my Mac experience over the last year. Bought mine last February. However, I maintain both platforms in my house due to software requirements.

Once you work with OSX for awhile, you'll really come to appreciate the tight integration and the fact that it sits on top of Unix which of course is a very tried and true, lean and mean OS.

The good news is that nowadays, OSX and Windows play nice together in terms of networking and file transfer. You can pull AVI files directly into FCP.

-gb-

Phil Hover
March 12th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Now I just need to figure out if I need a dual 2.3 or a QUAD!

Aaron Koolen
March 13th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Dylan, when I saw the thread title I thought you had bought a Macintosh.

Likewise, and I was gonna say, "it's not the dark side!" ;)

Anyway, awesome stuff!

Dylan Couper
March 13th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Likewise, and I was gonna say, "it's not the dark side!" ;)

Nah, I like my lenses white and my computers black. :)

Kevin Shaw
March 13th, 2006, 08:27 AM
I still haven't figured out how I'm going to edit any of the HD footage...

Dylan: take a look at Canopus Edius, Broadcast edition for your HVX200 editing. It reportedly has better direct support for MXF files than Final Cut Pro, but it is lacking in some advanced editing features. Avid Liquid apparently supports DVCPro50 footage nicely but not DVCProHD at this time; Avid Xpress HD seems to have some reliability problems with P2 for now. Cineform is reportedly working on a way to ingest HVX200 footage into AspectHD with Premiere Pro, but I haven't heard that they've got that done yet.

Dylan Couper
March 13th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Thanks Kevin
I was planning on going the Raylight/CIneform/Vegas route, but I'll check out Edius Broadcast. Not sure if I want to buy into a new NLE (skillset and financially) yet, but I'll see if I can find a demo of it and try it out.

Jack Nastvogel
March 15th, 2006, 01:24 PM
I'm Edging Ever So Closer Towards Owning This Camera... And Figure
To Be Force ...(matter Or Anti-matter) In Making The Kind Of Films I
Want To Make Along The Coast Of Maine Where I Fortunately Live.

Barry Green
March 15th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Canopus just made available a demo version of Edius Broadcast:
http://www.canopus.com/products/demos/index.php

Brian Broz
March 15th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Hey Dylan,
Hope you're enjoying the new camera, and putting it through it's paces!
I'm sure sure you'll find the more you use it...the more you like it!!
Let me know if you have any questions or issues. Or if you ever want to view footage on the 17" Panasonic HD monitor, drop by anytime! I'd love to see more footage!
Talk to you before NAB for sure....
Cheers,

Brian Broz
www.llsr.com

Dylan Couper
March 17th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Hey Dylan,
Hope you're enjoying the new camera, and putting it through it's paces!
I'm sure sure you'll find the more you use it...the more you like it!!
Let me know if you have any questions or issues. Or if you ever want to view footage on the 17" Panasonic HD monitor, drop by anytime! I'd love to see more footage!

Hey Brian
Yeah, I think I've fallen in love with P2 aspects of the HVX. Know anyone who wants to buy a couple Canon XL1's?

I'm probably going to be by the shop tomorrow, need to pick up some XLR cable and a few other things before I leave for Africa on Monday. See you there!