View Full Version : Apple systems and editing

Jay Stebbins
March 12th, 2006, 01:29 PM
This is a pick-up thread from the Darkside thread.....

The question is "What would be the optimal Apple computer for Editing?" I am looking for the sweet spot of what you need to efficiently edit and render footage from the HVX-200, without unnecessarily wasting money. I don't mind spending money on equipment needed, but why waste it either...

Right now, I have a 15" Powerbook 1.5 ghz. 2Gigs of RAM 4200rpm 80G drive and a 23" Studio Display.

I either need to upgrade the hard-drive to either the (7200rpm 100GB) or (5400rpm 160GB)? For the laptop drive that FCP would be running on, which is more important speed or extra space? I have other software that needs to reside on the same drive... When you figure the efficiency loss as a drive becomes more than 80% full, is the slower 5400rpm160GB drive a better choice for this application. I understand that the second capture drive needs to be 7200rpm or better yet, raid array... But what is needed speed wise to run the whole show?

I am planning to use the Powerbook for capture and P2 card off-load. (Robert Lanes' setup) Thank you Mr. Lane...

But if I wanted a system for home that allowed me to work efficiently, editing, what would it be? The Dual 2.3 Powermac?

I also plan on picking up a second 23" Display....

On another note....

I want to thank everyone who contributes to this forum. This has been a tremendous resource. Literally fabulous.... This forum has given me the confidence to either do great things or just go out and waste a bunch of money... LOL.

Thanks again,
Jay

Barlow Elton
March 12th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I recommend at the very least an older Dual 2.0 G5 for truly fluid, buttery smooth editing of DVCproHD. Your powerbook should work fine for portable editing too, but the G5 really trounces it when it comes to anything RT or filter rendering. I have a dual 2.7 and it's like butta. BUT, a QUAD would really be smokin' if you're a speed freak. Don't invest in an Intel Mac as so many plug-ins, not to mention Adobe apps won't be on MacIntel for quite awhile.

Don't skimp on RAM (min. 2GB IMHO) and best of all, consider a SATA RAID from one of the sponsors of the board. You will realize more RT with the combination of a RAID, fast computer, RAM...and the other thing is a dedicated HD card. I have a Kona LH which is AWESOME for DVCproHD in that you can monitor live component output to an HD monitor, which I think is extremely important.

Just a few thoughts...

Barlow