View Full Version : More Snow Footage!! 60p

Cassidy Bisher
March 13th, 2006, 12:52 PM
We shot this February 23rd, it was snowing. The snow flakes were monstrosic, so we had to get the camera out.. just a few clips of Downtown Grand Rapids...

http://motivitypictures.com/hvx200/motivity_snow_day.html

Jaser Stockert
March 13th, 2006, 02:04 PM
awesome footage! very filmlike! love the slowmo! explain how you did the ramping!...what program did you use? also, what scene file settings? any color correction/filters? thanks and keep em coming!

Cassidy Bisher
March 13th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Hey jaser, ramping was done in FCP, pretty simple process, not at all like the Arri but it will do. Minor color correction as well, just a hint of greens and blues here and there, crushing the blacks about 2%.

James Q. Manning
March 13th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Gorgeous stuff!

Michael Goode
March 14th, 2006, 02:19 PM
I watched the footage you had on your site, and I'm really impressed. Probably what'll convince me to buy this cam. Specially liked being able to see the before and after color correction on the coins slo mo.

Do you do your CC w/ Final Cut 5?

I haven't done a whole lot of color correction w/ final cut, mostly After Effects, so this might be a novice question, how do you crush the blacks in FCP?

Cassidy Bisher
March 14th, 2006, 03:56 PM
I haven't done a whole lot of color correction w/ final cut, mostly After Effects, so this might be a novice question, how do you crush the blacks in FCP?

Thanks Michael, first of all i think your doing the right thing, After Effects has a lot more color correction tools.. unless you get plug-ins for FCP.

In FCP you just throw on a 3 way color corrector and bring the slider down on the left, it's pretty easy. Not a lot of finessing but it will do. AE is much much more to offer though...

Michael Goode
March 14th, 2006, 08:32 PM
yeah, on the production i'm working on now, we're just about to get to CCing and the other editors keep asking me why AE and not just FCP, and I normally tell them that if you CC w/ AE you'll prefer it a lot more. Whew, that sentence had way to many abbreviations in it....

Just wondering if there was something i was missing. I like doing rough CC w/ Final Cut, but then do the actual work in AE

Great footage though, I can't wait to mess around w/ one of these cameras, almost makes me want to write a snow storm into the next film. Dont really get a lot of those in SF though...

Ainslie Davies
March 15th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Amazing stuff! Really... motivating, which I am sure you are happy about as it fits with your company's name. When I first played it, I had the sound on mute and thought how perfect it would be with some "provocative" style up-beat music, it was just so ironic and perfect when I realised there was sound!... A very filmic scene, I thought could have been lifted straight out of a movie!

Tim Hyten
March 15th, 2006, 10:57 AM
This is the best HVX footage I have seen so far. I can't believe the bad press I'm hearing about this cam.

Cassidy Bisher
March 15th, 2006, 12:17 PM
This is the best HVX footage I have seen so far. I can't believe the bad press I'm hearing about this cam.

Yea, Tim.. As I read some of the bad press this camera has received, there is a part of it I agree with, and a part of me that just says, "Who cares!" What I am able to do now is amazing! So while everyone is crapping on it, I will be shooting with it and learning about what I CAN do with it...

Vincent Rozenberg
March 15th, 2006, 12:28 PM
The first couple of secs looks very very great, but at about 30/40 percent of the movie it stops downloading.. Or is it me?

Cassidy Bisher
March 16th, 2006, 12:00 PM
The first couple of secs looks very very great, but at about 30/40 percent of the movie it stops downloading.. Or is it me?

Really? Were using I-Power for the hosting, i wonder if this is a bandwidth issue... and how many can view the the video at one time... Sorry about that.

Rogelio Salinas
March 16th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Excellent footage. Everytime I am turning toward another camcorder, you all post some new footage that makes me favor the HVX200. What was the music you used on your clip? It went perfectly with your footage.

Cassidy Bisher
March 16th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Excellent footage. Everytime I am turning toward another camcorder, you all post some new footage that makes me favor the HVX200. What was the music you used on your clip? It went perfectly with your footage.

Great! Glad to be an influence... the music was from Ian Brown... "Music from the spheres"

Tim Gray
March 16th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Nice clips. Ian Brown rocks.

Rogelio Salinas
March 17th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Quick Question. In post would you be able to speed up the shots recorded in 60fps shots to 24fps to get back to regular speed shots? Just in case you shoot in slo-mo and you decide that you would rather that shot be shown in 24fps.

Cassidy Bisher
March 17th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Yes, I think it would be a matter of adjusting the clips speed change percentage to the exact amount, I don't know what that is but you could figure it out...

60 / 2.5 = 24 (I suck in math) what would be the percentage?

James Llewellyn
March 17th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Quick math on the calc. 40%

60 / 100 = .6 x 40 = 24

Also a quick example would be 60 is divisable by 6 as 10, and treat 10 as if it's 100. So just work off multiples of 6.

24 / 6 = 4 and just add a 0 = 40 alas 40%

...but then again I stopped being good in math since the 8th grade so all this could be wrong...

Justyn Rowe
March 18th, 2006, 12:37 PM
what kind of bad press is everyone refering to? Simply hasn't been hurting the sales and I think people are inclined to throw crap at anything that is new/ out of the box/ or revolutionary! I couldn't be happier with this cam.. especially when seeing the nightmare my friends are having editing HDV.. and what crappy poo poos those cams do with action footage. Simply looks like crap! I saw what was coming out of the camera at the race I was at and the HDV just can't handle anything moving at a high rate of speed. Either the subject or the camera!

Dylan Couper
March 18th, 2006, 03:02 PM
what kind of bad press is everyone refering to? and what crappy poo poos those cams do with action footage. Simply looks like crap!

Could you be a little more technical?

Glenn Davidson
March 18th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Could you be a little more technical?

I agree, he sounds like a toddler throwing a tantrum!

James Llewellyn
March 18th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I agree, he sounds like a toddler throwing a tantrum!

Was it with all that talk about poo poo?

Jaser Stockert
March 19th, 2006, 12:03 AM
cassidy,

what shutter speed were you set at for the slowmo?

Cassidy Bisher
March 19th, 2006, 02:14 PM
cassidy,

what shutter speed were you set at for the slowmo?

1/250 or higher... I can't remember.

Cassidy Bisher
March 20th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Someone asked if they could have a raw untouched file of this footage a while back... here it is. Right click and save as...

http://www.motivitypictures.com/hvx200/snowing_on_me.mov

It's just one clip, it's around 130 MB, but you can bring it in to FCP and do what you like with it...

Cassidy Bisher
March 30th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Here is another raw file, PC users should be able to see this one... let me know if you can't..

http://www.motivitypictures.com/hvx200/streetlight.mov

right click save as.

Harikrishnan Ponnurangam
March 30th, 2006, 04:10 PM
When you compress the file did you use Quicktime conversion or Quicktime movie after editing. Especially the files are huge to put it on web. I did use the compressor but the quality is not great if i use high band width streaming.

What kind of method you use when posting it on web? Any idea??

Cassidy Bisher
March 31st, 2006, 09:12 AM
When you compress the file did you use Quicktime conversion or Quicktime movie after editing. Especially the files are huge to put it on web. I did use the compressor but the quality is not great if i use high band width streaming.

What kind of method you use when posting it on web? Any idea??

I used quicktime conversion, i also changed it using the square pixel aspect ratio so you could open it up in quicktime and the aspect ratio wouldn't be squished (960 * 720).

The compressor I used was just dvcproHD, so there wouldn't be a loss of qualtiy. I know it's huge but people want to see it untouched.

Alan Galbraith
March 31st, 2006, 01:45 PM
We shot this February 23rd, it was snowing. The snow flakes were monstrosic, so we had to get the camera out.. just a few clips of Downtown Grand Rapids...

http://motivitypictures.com/hvx200/motivity_snow_day.html

I've got a dumb question.... how does one do the slowmo-fastmo-slowmo bit?

I get the idea of over-cranking and dropping the footage into a different frame rate timeline for slowmo... are ya just using FCP's "speed" percentage control to speed up the clips?

Sorry if its a real basic question... but I do mostly educaitonal/documentary footage (deadly boring) and dont get to play around with these sort of things too often.

help a creatively trapped soul out :D

I'm downloading the raw clips ya posted to try it all out for myself once i learn how.

what frame rates are the raw clips?

Cassidy Bisher
March 31st, 2006, 02:14 PM
are ya just using FCP's "speed" percentage control to speed up the clips?

Yes, there's just a speed change done in FCP, and there is no such thing as a dumb question. If that were true I would be an idiot by now.

Those raw clips are 23.98, originally 60p...

Barlow Elton
April 1st, 2006, 06:18 PM
1/250 or higher... I can't remember.

I shot this H1 1080i footage at 1/250 for an overcrank look too. www.homepage.mac.com/mrbarlowelton

Have you found that faster shutter speeds work best for that look? btw, the snow footage is really cool. Thanks so much for sharing the great footage.

Cassidy Bisher
April 1st, 2006, 09:32 PM
Have you found that faster shutter speeds work best for that look?

I think it leans on your state of mind or feeling at that moment. If it were sports or action footage using high shutter would be essential... I think for the snow footage we wanted the shutter speed right in the middle for a calm gentle feeling...

Clay Bitner
April 3rd, 2006, 01:45 PM
Here is another raw file, PC users should be able to see this one... let me know if you can't..

http://www.motivitypictures.com/hvx200/streetlight.mov

right click save as.

Quicktime crashes if I try to open this file.

Anyone else have this problem? (I've been able to view the non-raw file).

Pete Tews
April 4th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Great examples of the quality of the hvx200!

The first example (the snow) was shown as a quicktime movie (and it played great on my g5) was this shot in the HD mode of the hvx200?

I'm deciding on this vs. sony Z1... but the P2 cards are expensive right now... maybe in a few years price will be better... so now I want to use the dv tape to record in SD mode in 16:9, can I get such good quality? can anyone point me to some examples of what this hvx200 can do in SD?

The panasonic codec seems a lot more friendly than HDV... even though you have to deal with the cards... that will change very fast. I'm thinking about the future, plus the "look" of the panasonic seems more organic than the "z1".

thanks!

Cassidy Bisher
April 4th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Do you have quicktime 7?

Quicktime crashes if I try to open this file.

Anyone else have this problem? (I've been able to view the non-raw file).

Cassidy Bisher
April 4th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Great examples of the quality of the hvx200!

The first example (the snow) was shown as a quicktime movie (and it played great on my g5) was this shot in the HD mode of the hvx200?

Yes it was, 720p 60

I'm deciding on this vs. sony Z1... but the P2 cards are expensive right now... maybe in a few years price will be better... so now I want to use the dv tape to record in SD mode in 16:9, can I get such good quality? can anyone point me to some examples of what this hvx200 can do in SD?

If you want to just use DV and record in 16:9 why not get the xl2, we had that previous to this camera and we were always happy with that.

P2 has been great for us... we can show clients the takes right away and browsing through and deleting the ones we don't need. You'll spend a lot of money on tapes unless you re-record over them. Get a 2nd job and buy one. It makes everything so easy.

The panasonic codec seems a lot more friendly than HDV... even though you have to deal with the cards... that will change very fast. I'm thinking about the future, plus the "look" of the panasonic seems more organic than the "z1".

I would agree about the organic look of the HVX, to me it has similarities to the 16mm film look. And if your using apple and FCP, apple and panasonic try and make it easy with the dvcproHD codec. We haven't had any problems with it. We have a G5, but I can edit HD footage fine on my powerbook, it's amazing.

Clay Bitner
April 5th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Do you have quicktime 7?

Yeah, Quicktime 7.0.4 is installed.

Barry Green
April 5th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Won't play on a PC at all. Quicktime on the PC doesn't support DVCPRO-HD.

If you have Canopus Edius Broadcast or Avid Xpress Pro HD installed, you can import the clips into your editor and play 'em there. Otherwise, no go.

Jon Glen
April 9th, 2006, 06:37 PM
cassidy, do you guys have the P2 Store?
also, you have no problem editing on your powerbook? just firewire the camera straight in to your powerbook?

Cassidy Bisher
April 10th, 2006, 06:59 AM
cassidy, do you guys have the P2 Store?
also, you have no problem editing on your powerbook? just firewire the camera straight in to your powerbook?

No, we don't have a p2 store, I just load the footage by inserting the P2 card into my PC slot, import the footage, then erase the footage when we put the P2 card back into the HVX, but this only works on a powerbook. I have no problem editing on a powerbook, I have 1.5 Ghz PowerPC G4, 2 GB DDR SDRAM...

Dee Joslin
June 4th, 2006, 08:40 AM
This is the footage that sold me on the HVX. I used the untouched clip you provided to try it out on HDDVD. It was easy to edit and export to DVDSP. The video looked great through the Toshiba HD player. Unlike the Sony HDV that had noticable compression artifacts, this footage was smooth and very colorful. The red hat, 5 o'clock shadow, and other contrasty spots made the video pop out. Great stuff...

Cassidy Bisher
June 8th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Man, now only if we could get a commission check... I am glad it worked on the HD-DVD, i would love to see that. What kind of HDTV did you view this clip on?

This is the footage that sold me on the HVX. I used the untouched clip you provided to try it out on HDDVD. It was easy to edit and export to DVDSP. The video looked great through the Toshiba HD player. Unlike the Sony HDV that had noticable compression artifacts, this footage was smooth and very colorful. The red hat, 5 o'clock shadow, and other contrasty spots made the video pop out. Great stuff...

Dee Joslin
June 8th, 2006, 11:43 AM
I viewed it on my Toshiba 57" rear projection. (That will be my next upgrade)