View Full Version : Can i use NTSC camera in PAL country?

Timofei Youriev
March 13th, 2006, 07:40 PM
For distribution of documentary movie in Russia (PAL/Secam) and USA (NTSC), should i use 50i or 60i as a master?

Chris Luker
March 14th, 2006, 11:43 AM
From my travels, I've noticed that PAL countries can see NTSC tapes/dvd/television easily out of the box on their TVs.
The reverse is not true.
I would go with 60i NTSC.
But what do I know?
$.02

Giroud Francois
March 14th, 2006, 11:49 AM
if support is a DVD, i do not know an european having purchased a DVD player and a TV set without being sure he will be able to play Zone 1 (USA) DVD

Andzei Matsukevits
March 14th, 2006, 12:46 PM
if you are going to sell/broadcast it you should convert it to PAL....

i use Atlantis for converting job, but it aint perfect...sometimes picture looks a little choppy...
i have NTSC camera and i my movies are broadcastet on our tv channels after converting to pal

Timofei Youriev
March 14th, 2006, 09:07 PM
if you are going to sell/broadcast it you should convert it to PAL....

i use Atlantis for converting job, but it aint perfect...sometimes picture looks a little choppy...
i have NTSC camera and i my movies are broadcastet on our tv channels after converting to pal

Thank you everyone!

Andrey, did you ever tried converting from HDV NTCS camera down to regular tv resolution PAL?

Randy Rogers
March 15th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Keep in mind... as a general rule of thumb, PAL to NTSC transfers usually look a little nicer than NTSC to PAL when they are done on consumer or pro-sumer level equipment.

Randy