View Full Version : Pecking order of DV cameras

Dylan Couper
January 26th, 2003, 03:09 AM
I don't really know much about the video cameras in the range above the XL1/PD150/DVX100 camera level. Not Betacams, but units like the JVC DV500 or the lower end of Sony DSR series cameras.
Can someone give me a quick list of which cameras are available in the $4500-$10,000 price range? Doesn't have to be an extensive list, just something I can use to do some more investigation on the cameras that offer the best bang for the buck.

Alex Ratson
January 26th, 2003, 09:42 PM
Hey Dylan.

For Sony pro full-size DVCAM cameras, the Base model is the DSR-250 (1/3 CCD). Then it goes up to the DSR-300A and DSR-370 (1/2 CCD) and from there you go to the top of the Sony heap with the DSR-500, and 570. The 370 and 570 are the same as the 300A and the 500, except they have a 24 pin CCU (camera control unit) out-put.

I am not to formilier with the other brands but I do no that JVC, Panasonic, and Ikagame (probably spelt wrong) are quiet reputable.

Alex

Dylan Couper
January 26th, 2003, 11:21 PM
Thanks Alex!
Anyone have a good resource where I can find out more about JVC, Panny, and Ikagami's lower end of the pro camera line up?

David Hurdon
January 27th, 2003, 07:29 AM
Hi Dylan.

I've found the Google search engine to be the fastest route to information on just about anything. If you have a Windows system you can download and install the google toolbar, which adds, you guessed it, a toolbar, to your browser window. Type inside the window and off you go. I just used it to find JVC pro camcorders in two moves.

http://www.jvc.ca/en/pro/product-list.asp?h=P1_100

You can find it at http://toolbar.google.com/

John Locke
January 27th, 2003, 08:32 AM
1. my camera
2. everybody else's

Chris Hurd
January 27th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Hi Dylan,

Within the budget that you stated, you're looking at 1/2" CCD camcorders. Basically the current rundown is:

Sony DSR250 (full-size DVCAM and mini-DVCAM)
Sony DSR300 (full-size DVCAM and mini-DVCAM)
JVC GY-DV5000 (fullsize DV and mini-DV)
Panasonic AG-DVC200 (full-size DV but not mini-DV)
Panasonic AJ-D410A (full-size DVCPro)

The Sony 250 has a fixed lens; all others use standard Canon or Fujinon 1/2" broadcast video lenses. Hope this helps,

Dylan Couper
January 27th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Chris, exactly what I wanted to know. Perfect!
Thanks!

Bill Pryor
January 27th, 2003, 10:14 PM
Chris, the 250 only has 1/3" chips, so it really doesn't belong in that heap.

Chris Hurd
January 27th, 2003, 10:50 PM
D'oh! Asleep at the wheel again. Thanks for catching that, Bill!

Greg Vaughn
January 28th, 2003, 10:43 AM
I've heard that the DSR-250 has been discontinued. Not really much more than an oversized PD-150 anyway. Nearly identical specs.

G

Bill Pryor
January 28th, 2003, 11:17 AM
I don't think it's been discontinued; they are still listed on all the distributors' sites. The price has gone down to under $4500, which is nice.
It does have the same chips as the 150, but there are quite a number of differences. Those differences are worth the price to some, not worth it to others...full size tapes, 801 series viewfinder, shoulder mount, XLRs built in the back are some of the differences. It's also a lot heavier than the 150 but still light by pro camera standards. Sony considers it their cheapest professional DVCAM; I don't consider it a fully professional camera, since it has an electronic lens...but it's close.

Robert Coyote
January 28th, 2003, 06:24 PM
A dumb question allas
any of these badboys HD capable?

Alex Ratson
January 28th, 2003, 06:30 PM
None of the cameras listed above are HD. They are all DV25. There are still a lot of different cameras in-between DV25 and HD.

Alex

Chris Hurd
January 28th, 2003, 06:35 PM
HD (high definition) video is basically DV100, with a datastream of 100 megabits per second, which is four times the bandwidth if plain-vanilla DV which we all know and love, also known as DV25 at a datastream of 25 megabits per second.

There is a quantum leap in pricing to get into an HD video camera, I want to say they start at about $30,000 but that might be a little on the low side.

Cost prohibitive, you might think? Well, the smart thing to do is rent the HD camera only as you need it (own the other gear yourself such as mics, lights, etc.) and edit for yourself on Final Cut Pro.

HD editing is itself fairly affordable, but HD cameras are still primarily rental items. A lot of guys do it this way, which in my opinion is the smart way. These prices aren't going to drop all that fast.

Alex Ratson
January 28th, 2003, 06:40 PM
Iv seen Digi-Beta start higher then that price. (Digital Beta cam is DV90). I thout the “entry-level” HD cameras were about100K. I might be wrong but 30K is kind of low in my mind.

Alex

Robert Coyote
January 28th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Cost prohibitive, you might think?

or buy it, rent it to others, and take the depreciation
anyone got 30 grand?

Bill Pryor
January 28th, 2003, 06:56 PM
The cheapest HD I've seen is the Panasonic, around $60,000. By the time you get lenses and everything, that would put it in the $100,000 range. I believe the low end Sony is around $70,000, but I could be wrong. They have been coming down in price some.

That sounds high for personal use, obviously, but for professional use, it's not bad. When I bought a BVW300 in 1989, the list price was $42,000 for the package. That would probably translate to closer to $60,000 or so in today's dollars.

Chris is right in that most are in rental stock these days. That will probably change as things standardize and prices drop eventually. Right now, I think about the dumbest thing to do would be to buy into Digibeta. It costs close to what HD does. On the other hand, most video is still SDI. A couple of studios here have HD cameras, but from all I've heard, they aren't doing very much with them.

Alex Ratson
January 28th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Do any of you no what the deal is with Sony’s new MPEG IMX (DV50)? Most people in the industry don’t seem to existed about it. Most of them think it’s a waist.

Alex

Bill Pryor
January 28th, 2003, 07:07 PM
I think it's Sony's attempt to get back into the broadcast game with a Betacam cassette type camcorder. They've been losing ground to Panasonic in the DV25 world...and Digibeta costs almost as much as HD, so when people want a DV50 format, they seem to go to Panasonic. It may be a marketing decision that is about 3 years too late.

Alex Ratson
January 28th, 2003, 07:11 PM
Supposedly, you can captor it in to the Sony Edit stations at a 2X speed, so if you were capturing a hour of footage it would only take ˝ hour. That could be handy in the broadcast world wear “news is now not later”

Alex

Robert Coyote
January 28th, 2003, 07:19 PM
This is a great thread, because Im shoppin..

Im looking for a DV that will produce damn good looking DV25, and add in high bit sound

When do you think DV25 will be obsolete?

I only have a lowly Sony TRV230, and a portadat for now to practice with.

Alex Ratson
January 28th, 2003, 07:25 PM
DV25 will be around for another 4+ years I figure. The big manufactures are still pumping out new products. Most cameras will go 2 to 4 years before they ripples them (that is just a ruff number). What are some of the cameras that you are considering? What is your Budget for a new camera?

Alex

Dylan Couper
January 28th, 2003, 07:59 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Ratson : Iv seen Digi-Beta start higher then that price. (Digital Beta cam is DV90). I thout the “entry-level” HD cameras were about100K. I might be wrong but 30K is kind of low in my mind.

Alex -->>>

Alex, Chris is pretty close to the mark. Out of boredom I checked out prices on HD cameras just after the last time I bought a lottery ticket. There was one or two in the $40,000 range, I can't remember but I think one was an Ikegami. Anyway, for that price lenses are not included, it's pretty much body only!

Alex Ratson
January 28th, 2003, 08:05 PM
HD lenses are vary expensive, along with there battery’s. It’s hard to price just the body.

U can’t drive a car without wheels :)

Alex

Dylan Couper
January 28th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Ain't that the truth!
However, once you've added glass and gear, you'd be in the $60k range.

Robert Coyote
January 28th, 2003, 08:59 PM
I'm considering any of the prosumer Dv25's, whatever looks good, Im in no hurry (sometime this year) so Im undecided about price,

XL1S/GL2/VX2000 leaning towad GL2

Maybe the JVC GR-HD1 Vaporcam...
or perhaps wait for another itteration of releases

Jeff Donald
January 28th, 2003, 10:02 PM
Depending on your market size and type, I wouldn't give DV more than 2 years. In smaller markets and for certain types of work (event) DV will have better staying power. But I think NAB should bring some exciting products, with a definite shift away from DV. Not with new products (wait until next NAb) but lower pricing for existing products.

Alex Ratson
January 28th, 2003, 10:03 PM
Those are all wonderful Cameras Robert. I found it quit fun prodding throe all the information on different cameras when I was looking. If you are in no big here you should hold off for a year because Sony and Canon should both have new models out before the year is over.

Good luck on finding your Dream Camera

Alex

Dylan Couper
January 29th, 2003, 12:21 AM
If I had to buy a camera right NOW, I'd buy a used XL1, or PD150. As good a deal as I could find. That way I could sell it for close to what I paid for it and buy one of the great new toys that will undoubtably come out within the next year or two.