View Full Version : Firestore 100GB out yet? How much?

Ronald Lee
March 28th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Hi,

Is he Firestore 100GB out yet? If not, when are they saying now?

And how much is the retail and how much do you suppose is the rental?

Lastly, if I shot at 1080 24p, how many minutes is it good for? (or I should ask how many minutes per 4 GB do I get at that setting?)

thanx

Chris Hurd
March 28th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Hi Ronald, it isn't shipping yet. There should be more info about it at NAB next month.

Tim Schultz
March 28th, 2006, 12:13 PM
yeah it's not out. i'm on the list with my local reseller (apparently the only person on the list!) and have been in touch with reps at focus enhancements (who make the firestore devices)...."any day now" is the answer which means i think, after NAB though i was assured several weeks ago it would be on the market at the end of march.

all i can say is, i'm an idiot for trusting the marketing dept!

Peter Jefferson
March 28th, 2006, 02:41 PM
"all i can say is, i'm an idiot for trusting the marketing dept!"

thats what i was saying about the original firestore.. im yet to work with a unit which hasnt failed...

Wes Thomsen
March 29th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Sorry, I'm confused ( no big surprise... )

Are you saying every firestore you've worked with has ended up failing? I should rethink the new model then. I was looking forward to the extra storage for an HVX200 because I had heard from a friend who has had dependable results from a previous firestore model.

wes

Peter Jefferson
April 1st, 2006, 02:58 AM
oh they worked, but continued to reset themselves for some apparent reason. That was 2 consecutive units in a row... then i got the pro model for avid, and it too pooed itsellf.

We upgraded the firmware, and that did nothing.. so i gave up on it and let stuck with tape..

with the HVX, it seems the viable way is to have a laptop and 2 P2 cards... or a P2 Store type devce. I woulnt trust a firestore from what i have seen it do... thats jsut my opinion and im sure there are users out there who dont have a problem with it..
One thing is for sure though, that for the cost of a firestore, i can grab a laptop and an external 250gb drive... to me thats a better investment..

David Mintzer
April 2nd, 2006, 09:52 AM
Yeah, but not if you are shooting long form documentaries in a run and gun style.

Chris Hurd
April 2nd, 2006, 10:53 AM
Agree w/David. It's a better investment only if you don't need the small "wearable" size of the FireStore.

Robert Lane
April 2nd, 2006, 11:30 AM
I can concur with Peter's experience with the Firestore; we tested the Firestore extensively with the HDV side of things and found it to be less than reliable, along with some other snafus created by Focus. We decided not to ever use another Firestore device, period.

With respect to the Cineporter, I feel very strongly from both my own research and communications from David Linetsky at Spec-Comm that it will be THE way to go for long-form HVX recording. P2 cards work well but are costly and have relatively short run-time compared to tape. The Powerbook direct capture also works perfectly but isn't suited for run-and-gun or any location work - not without a lot of extra hands and other supporting equipment.

The 'Porter may be bigger than the Firestore but since it's a P2-only device I'd put my money - and my project demands - on that over any 3rd party DTE solution.